Jump to topic:

A Protest

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:20:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Federal Government is watching us....

And we claim that we hate the Government's intrusion into our lives, yet we sacrifice our freedom every day.
Every day, when you and I access Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and even DDO, it's very likely that Big Brother is watching you and me post. They're looking at everything you're looking at, through the eyes of your monitor or laptop.
When you download an app for Apple, the Government is watching. When you upload a YouTube video, the Government is watching. When you post a debate on DDO, the Government is watching.

I am one of those people who gives up my freedom every day by using the internet. I do not mean to let the Government see my history, but there's no way for me to stop them from doing it.
There is nothing that I can do to stop the Government from watching me online...

Except for one thing. There is one thing that I can do to stop the Government from watching me online.
And that is to not do anything online.

As a protest against the Federal Government's excessive spying program, I will leave Debate.org (and all other internet activity) and I will not return to my computer until May 1, 2014, except for important stuff that I need (for instance, stuff that I need for school).
That means no Facebook and no DDO (those are basically the two online social networks that I participate in) until May 1, 2014. I will use the internet only whenever I need it.

Of course, one cannibal clown doing this means absolutely nothing. That's why I need others to join me.
Join me in this act of protest, and tell all your friends on Facebook why you're participating (right before you close your computer, that is). Maybe some of your friends will join in too.

America is on our sides; by nearly 3-1, 70%-26%, Americans say they shouldn't have to give up privacy and freedom in order to be safe from terrorism.
http://www.usatoday.com...

Even if I end up looking like a lone, stupid fool, I will still do this. I'll use internet only when I need it and for nothing else until May 1.
In a few minutes I will deactivate my DDO Account, to not use it again until May 1.
Who is with me? Today is a great day to die, comrades!!
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:25:35 PM
Deactivating your DDO account for two weeks will do literally nothing to stop NSA policies.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:26:29 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:25:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
Deactivating your DDO account for two weeks will do literally nothing to stop NSA policies.

That's why I need lots of people to join with me.
My View of the World:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:27:25 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:26:29 PM, Crescendo wrote:

DDO shutting down would do literally nothing to stop the NSA
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:28:32 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:27:25 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's why you need to get your Facebook friends to join the protest. Everybody on Facebook participating would definitely do the trick.
My View of the World:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:30:03 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:28:32 PM, Crescendo wrote:

That's why you need to get your Facebook friends to join the protest. Everybody on Facebook participating would definitely do the trick.

I'd suggest you read this. http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:33:07 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:30:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Believe me; because I am so addicted to DDO, leaving it for two weeks means a lot to me.
My View of the World:

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:35:00 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:33:07 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 4/16/2014 5:30:03 PM, thett3 wrote:

Believe me; because I am so addicted to DDO, leaving it for two weeks means a lot to me.

Maybe to you, but it's going to have zero effect on Federal policy. I admire your willingness to sacrifice something for the cause, but you're doing it wrong. A much better way to help is to write your Representative a letter. Even that won't have much of an effect, if any, but the effect of you shutting down your DDO account is going to be *literally* zero.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:37:33 PM
Note to Bubba: WTF did you vote for Bush then. As soon as Obama extends the patriot act they all switch sides.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:39:10 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:37:33 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
Note to Bubba: WTF did you vote for Bush then. As soon as Obama extends the patriot act they all switch sides.

I highly doubt Bubba has ever voted for anyone, lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:40:58 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to pick on him and bettabreeder. I focus my attention on that mindless bozo Rhodesia.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:41:27 PM

I'm not old enough to have voted for Bush during the 2000 and 2004 elections.

However...
Even though I am a Republican and a Conservative, I find myself questioning the merits of the Patriot Act.
People wrongly assume sometimes that since Bush was a Republican and a Social Conservative, his Patriot Act must've been a Conservative course of action. It wasn't. Another things that Conservatives advocate is freedom.
My View of the World:

Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 5:52:27 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:41:27 PM, Crescendo wrote:

I'm not old enough to have voted for Bush during the 2000 and 2004 elections.

However...
Even though I am a Republican and a Conservative, I find myself questioning the merits of the Patriot Act.
People wrongly assume sometimes that since Bush was a Republican and a Social Conservative, his Patriot Act must've been a Conservative course of action. It wasn't. Another things that Conservatives advocate is freedom.

The Stupidity. The GOP members automatically consider themselves freedom fighters. Liberal nations on average have more freedoms then conservative ones.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:03:01 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:53:15 PM, Crescendo wrote:
Well, so long, DDO! Until May!
There's still time to join with me...

Good luck fading into obscurity. I'm sure Obama wont even bat an eyelid for you leaving.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:04:01 PM
At 4/16/2014 5:40:58 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/16/2014 5:39:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to pick on him and bettabreeder. I focus my attention on that mindless bozo Rhodesia.

I have no clue who those two are. I'm so out of touch these days.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:42:30 PM
As if the NSA would have any interest in the precocious teenagers and wackos that post on this site. The worst thing they would have to worry about is the kids reading seditious comic books under their blankets at night with a flashlight.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2014 6:45:16 PM
At 4/16/2014 6:42:30 PM, monty1 wrote:
As if the NSA would have any interest in the precocious teenagers and wackos that post on this site. The worst thing they would have to worry about is the kids reading seditious comic books under their blankets at night with a flashlight.

Got to add another post to report you. I hate the 17 post glitch.
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 12:23:29 AM
At 4/16/2014 5:20:55 PM, Crescendo wrote:

And we claim that we hate the Government's intrusion into our lives, yet we sacrifice our freedom every day.
Every day, when you and I access Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and even DDO, it's very likely that Big Brother is watching you and me post. They're looking at everything you're looking at, through the eyes of your monitor or laptop.
When you download an app for Apple, the Government is watching. When you upload a YouTube video, the Government is watching. When you post a debate on DDO, the Government is watching.

I am one of those people who gives up my freedom every day by using the internet. I do not mean to let the Government see my history, but there's no way for me to stop them from doing it.
There is nothing that I can do to stop the Government from watching me online...

Except for one thing. There is one thing that I can do to stop the Government from watching me online.

As a protest against the Federal Government's excessive spying program, I will leave Debate.org (and all other internet activity) and I will not return to my computer until May 1, 2014, except for important stuff that I need (for instance, stuff that I need for school).
That means no Facebook and no DDO (those are basically the two online social networks that I participate in) until May 1, 2014. I will use the internet only whenever I need it.

Of course, one cannibal clown doing this means absolutely nothing. That's why I need others to join me.
Join me in this act of protest, and tell all your friends on Facebook why you're participating (right before you close your computer, that is). Maybe some of your friends will join in too.

America is on our sides; by nearly 3-1, 70%-26%, Americans say they shouldn't have to give up privacy and freedom in order to be safe from terrorism.

Even if I end up looking like a lone, stupid fool, I will still do this. I'll use internet only when I need it and for nothing else until May 1.
In a few minutes I will deactivate my DDO Account, to not use it again until May 1.

You know, I guess I'm just going to play the devils advocate here, but I have to ask. Why do we care? I mean. People are put their personal sh!t up on the internet every single day. They've got their facebooks and youtubes and twitters and blogs and what not and all the time their posting up stuff that they shouldn't. but then all of a sudden they the government is looking at this stuff that they posted up for the world to see and suddenly it's a big deal? I mean. Wth? And so what of they are listening in? So some guy Iv never met I'd sitting in some little government basement in who knows where listening to my phone call of me having kinky phone sex with my wife. So? I'm never gona meet the guy. Never he doesn't know me. As far as I'm concerned it's like it's not even happening. How does it affect me?

I don't know, Iv just never really understood what the big deal was. Do people have something to hide or something? I'm not saying it's right Iv just never really heard a good argument for why its wrong.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 12:29:52 AM
At 4/17/2014 12:23:29 AM, ararmer1919 wrote:

You know, I guess I'm just going to play the devils advocate here, but I have to ask. Why do we care? I mean. People are put their personal sh!t up on the internet every single day. They've got their facebooks and youtubes and twitters and blogs and what not and all the time their posting up stuff that they shouldn't. but then all of a sudden they the government is looking at this stuff that they posted up for the world to see and suddenly it's a big deal? I mean. Wth? And so what of they are listening in? So some guy Iv never met I'd sitting in some little government basement in who knows where listening to my phone call of me having kinky phone sex with my wife. So? I'm never gona meet the guy. Never he doesn't know me. As far as I'm concerned it's like it's not even happening. How does it affect me?

I don't know, Iv just never really understood what the big deal was. Do people have something to hide or something? I'm not saying it's right Iv just never really heard a good argument for why its wrong.

It's a matter of rights. Is there a right to any privacy? If there is...where does the line get drawn?

Is it after the first, or the second rectal probe?

http://www.policestateusa.com...

In the US, there is supposed to be a rule against unreasonable search.

The point is not "What do you have to hide?" but rather, "what are they looking for?". The burden is supposed to be on THEM to have a good reason to look in the first place.

Think of it like the presumption of innocence. Are you going to say the old saw that "They wouldn't be prosecuting you, if they didn't know you'd done it"?

The state has a nigh-immesurable amount of power they can bring to bear. They should, IMHO, have to justify doing so, not the other way around.

I have literally nothing to hide--in the sense that, I don't care if anything I've done comes to light. But f*** you (indefinite pronoun you, not, you you) for getting up in my business without some kind of cause.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ararmer1919
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 12:36:30 AM
At 4/17/2014 12:29:52 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/17/2014 12:23:29 AM, ararmer1919 wrote:

It's a matter of rights. Is there a right to any privacy? If there is...where does the line get drawn?

Is it after the first, or the second rectal probe?

http://www.policestateusa.com...

In the US, there is supposed to be a rule against unreasonable search.

The point is not "What do you have to hide?" but rather, "what are they looking for?". The burden is supposed to be on THEM to have a good reason to look in the first place.

Think of it like the presumption of innocence. Are you going to say the old saw that "They wouldn't be prosecuting you, if they didn't know you'd done it"?

The state has a nigh-immesurable amount of power they can bring to bear. They should, IMHO, have to justify doing so, not the other way around.

I have literally nothing to hide--in the sense that, I don't care if anything I've done comes to light. But f*** you (indefinite pronoun you, not, you you) for getting up in my business without some kind of cause.

I like that answer. Didn't really think of it that way. Especially the part about the burden being on them to justify. Thank you very much.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 12:54:46 AM

And for all thewatching that the government has done to the members on DDO, who has been harmed by it?

I am firmly of the belief that if the government wants to sneak into my home to my home to make sure there are no bodies currently being disolved in a tube of acid, go for it, just put everything back when you are done so that it does not disturb my life and I have no qualms.

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the man comes and takes you away."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 12:56:32 AM
At 4/17/2014 12:54:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

And for all thewatching that the government has done to the members on DDO, who has been harmed by it?

I am firmly of the belief that if the government wants to sneak into my home to my home to make sure there are no bodies currently being disolved in a tube of acid, go for it, just put everything back when you are done so that it does not disturb my life and I have no qualms.

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line, the man comes and takes you away."

Harm can be a subjective quantity.

Who has BENEFITED from it?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 1:38:41 AM
At 4/17/2014 12:56:32 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/17/2014 12:54:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Harm can be a subjective quantity.

Lol, benefit is just as subjective.

But here are some.

http://m.theweek.com...

Though for just NSA

http://www.pbs.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 2:22:15 AM
At 4/17/2014 1:38:41 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I concede that point, in general. Though the question is how much benefit, of course.

But here are some.

That has nothing to do with surveillance of the type being complained about, though...

Though for just NSA

Not to be a smarta**, but the article with the title "NSA surveillance doesn"t stop terrorism, report claims"?
Kanti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 8:37:55 AM
I'm going to be the devils advocate for a minute. If you actually consider the fact that over the past 13 years more data has been sent and shared then all of human history it's not hard to understand the inception of the NSA's spying program. The amount of signal intelligence 40 years ago in a year is dwarfed by the amount of signal intelligence that will be transmitted in a single day. It's like holding out your hand and trying to find a single leaf inside a tsunami. I don't understand this idea of benefit being a necessary prequisite for the spying programs because if you consider the world we live in it's almost impossible to do their job without the tools PRISM provides.

I'll use PRISM for example. This is how it works. They go to a court once every 3 months to seek a warrant. They give the warrant to the phone companies and they hand over all their phone numbers. No information except the numbers. That is all that happens on a bulk collection level. Then you have a seed number, and what a seed number is a RECOGNIZED terrorist phone number. Let's say it's a phone number from a safe house in Yemen. Who that safe house is important to national security because they're most likely communicating with active terrorists. So from that seed number you hop out to everyone they have called, then you hop out to everyone they've called, and then you hop out to everyone they've called.

Now you cross reference this 3rd degree process result with other 3rd degree process results you can create network. This is the only way you can realistically handle the amount of global communications. I realize indirectly the 3rd degree process will involve American citizens but they're not looking at every number. They're looking for communications to phone numbers from different seeds because you have a clear correlation with possible terrorist activities.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:06:24 AM
At 4/17/2014 2:22:15 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I concede that point, in general. Though the question is how much benefit, of course.

And my question is based on how much harm. I think it is a bit of a double standard to dodge the question based on its subjectivity only to ask an equally subjective question on me.

But here are some.

That has nothing to do with surveillance of the type being complained about, though...

It is about people getting busted for what they post on Facebook and social media. The only difference is that some of them were reported by friends. You're only talking about including a middle man and doesn't need to be there.

Though for just NSA

Not to be a smarta**, but the article with the title "NSA surveillance doesn"t stop terrorism, report claims"?

I'm presuming you didn't read into the article. It says that an independent report shows that the NSA initiated about 2% of investigations, and was used in about 7.5% of investigations. While the report says those are small numbers, they are still some numbers that show the benefit. Of course, Terrorism is an extremely rare crime anyway, so any stats that rely just on that would be minor. That's why I support it expanding it to most crimes.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:34:53 AM
At 4/17/2014 10:06:24 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

And my question is based on how much harm. I think it is a bit of a double standard to dodge the question based on its subjectivity only to ask an equally subjective question on me.

I don't think so. Because the harm is to individuals, who get to set their own metric. The benefit is ostensibly to society.

But here are some.

It is about people getting busted for what they post on Facebook and social media. The only difference is that some of them were reported by friends. You're only talking about including a middle man and doesn't need to be there.

The "middle man" in question is getting into what would otherwise be private information.

If someone invites a friend over to their house, that friend could rat out their illegal activities. That's rather different than the cops just bursting in and searching whenever they'd like to.

Though for just NSA

I'm presuming you didn't read into the article. It says that an independent report shows that the NSA initiated about 2% of investigations, and was used in about 7.5% of investigations. While the report says those are small numbers, they are still some numbers that show the benefit. Of course, Terrorism is an extremely rare crime anyway, so any stats that rely just on that would be minor. That's why I support it expanding it to most crimes.

No, I read the article, which also states: "The widespread use of informants suggests that if there was an NSA role in these cases, it was limited and insufficient to generate evidence of criminal wrongdoing without the use of traditional investigative tools." and "The report also concluded that bulk collection of American telephone metadata also had "no discernible impact" on terrorism prevention and only "the most marginal of impacts" on terrorist-related activities."

I maintain that any intrusion needs to be justified. The NSA has utterly failed to justify their program: they have abused their authority in exactly the ways that would be expected by a program which doesn't go through the justification channels ( http://www.slate.com... ... "Some of the cases of NSA officers intentionally abusing their spy powers has involved snooping on love interests...The practice...is common enough that has acquired its own internal name: LOVEINT, or love intelligence" ), they have failed to show any concrete benefit (in fact, have been exposed as having lied, or at least "exagerrated" to the point that I would call it lying, about it: ( http://watchdog.org... ).

And what's funny is, the NSA is already sharing the data with other government agencies like the IRS and the DEA ( http://www.forbes.com... ):

"Under current U.S. surveillance law, the NSA may share with domestic law enforcement information obtained both through authorized surveillance, and information unlawfully but unintentionally collected, if it contains evidence of a crime. This rule was worrisome when the NSA was only conducting targeted surveillance of foreign powers. It is terrifying now that the NSA scans virtually all American cross-border communications. And this is especially true in light of the recent reports showing that any number of other three-letter agencies are howling for access to NSA data for use in investigations of Americans" drug use, tax evasion, and even copyright infringement. Usually, these agencies would need at least warrants based on probable cause that an individual was committing a crime before they could obtain the contents of our communications, and would need to certify to a public court that email or phone records are relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation before it could collect such traffic data. But if they get their hands on NSA data, all these bothersome civil liberties protections simply vanish."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:55:34 AM
At 4/17/2014 10:34:53 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 4/17/2014 10:06:24 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I don't think so. Because the harm is to individuals, who get to set their own metric. The benefit is ostensibly to society.

Individuals do not get to set their own metrics for "harm." I cannot say that you disagreeing with me is a "harm" by any sense with the expectation that said "harm" should influence an external policy or decision.

But here are some.

The "middle man" in question is getting into what would otherwise be private information.

1) what you post on DDO is not private (one of the very sites the op mentioned)
2) that doesn't change the fact that it is just a middleman to the same transaction of truth.

If someone invites a friend over to their house, that friend could rat out their illegal activities. That's rather different than the cops just bursting in and searching whenever they'd like to.

Though it shouldn't be.

Though for just NSA

No, I read the article, which also states: "The widespread use of informants suggests that if there was an NSA role in these cases, it was limited and insufficient to generate evidence of criminal wrongdoing without the use of traditional investigative tools." and "The report also concluded that bulk collection of American telephone metadata also had "no discernible impact" on terrorism prevention and only "the most marginal of impacts" on terrorist-related activities."

What's your point? No one is suggesting that going through data should replace standard investigation methods, merely be an additional tool.

I maintain that any intrusion needs to be justified.

From a utilitarian point, it is already justified. There is minimal, yet some benefit, with no harm. From a purely logical point, it is justified in that it exposes truth. Finding truth, itself is justification if no harms occur to outweigh it.

The NSA has utterly failed to justify their program: they have abused their authority in exactly the ways that would be expected by a program which doesn't go through the justification channels ( http://www.slate.com... ... "Some of the cases of NSA officers intentionally abusing their spy powers has involved snooping on love interests...The practice...is common enough that has acquired its own internal name: LOVEINT, or love intelligence" ), they have failed to show any concrete benefit (in fact, have been exposed as having lied, or at least "exagerrated" to the point that I would call it lying, about it: ( http://watchdog.org... ).

And what's funny is, the NSA is already sharing the data with other government agencies like the IRS and the DEA ( http://www.forbes.com... ):

"Under current U.S. surveillance law, the NSA may share with domestic law enforcement information obtained both through authorized surveillance, and information unlawfully but unintentionally collected, if it contains evidence of a crime. This rule was worrisome when the NSA was only conducting targeted surveillance of foreign powers. It is terrifying now that the NSA scans virtually all American cross-border communications. And this is especially true in light of the recent reports showing that any number of other three-letter agencies are howling for access to NSA data for use in investigations of Americans" drug use, tax evasion, and even copyright infringement. Usually, these agencies would need at least warrants based on probable cause that an individual was committing a crime before they could obtain the contents of our communications, and would need to certify to a public court that email or phone records are relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation before it could collect such traffic data. But if they get their hands on NSA data, all these bothersome civil liberties protections simply vanish."