Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Obam's middle class paradox

kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:00:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I am reading an article here from the Washington Post. In it it states how Obama, being from a middle class family is really out of touch with the class he came from. I can't really say, but it seems as though this may in fact be the case. There is a subhead that says "Despite his roots, Obama has struggled to show that he's connected to everyday Americans"....Yet everytime we hear about the President's upbringing we are told how his mom was on food stamps, and etc...

I really don't have any strong opinions regarding this subject, mainly because I see it as an article that is meant to create more derision. WHat do people expect?...He is the POTUS, I'm sure the position comes with some spoils...

your thoughts
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:10:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:07:03 AM, Quail_man wrote:
What does it matter who he's "in touch" with?

Well, it helps to be "in touch" with the religious base if you're going to put in pro-religious reforms. Get it?

But, that doesn't matter. Kelly is trying to box Obama into a class, and exacerbate the division between classes. He'd fit in with Lenin.
Quail_man
Posts: 66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:13:15 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:03:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
My thought is that you're still a socialist moron.

Surprising coming from a liberal who essentially advocates socialism or aspects of it.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:15:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:13:15 AM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:03:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
My thought is that you're still a socialist moron.

Surprising coming from a liberal who essentially advocates socialism or aspects of it.

That's even funnier coming from a man whose ideas amount to social engineering, something that seems in lock and step with communists/socialists/authoritarians.
Quail_man
Posts: 66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:19:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:15:56 AM, Volkov wrote:
That's even funnier coming from a man whose ideas amount to social engineering

Do go on
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:25:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:19:01 AM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:15:56 AM, Volkov wrote:
That's even funnier coming from a man whose ideas amount to social engineering

Do go on

We've already had this argument. A couple times, actually. Don't you remember the ultrasound requirement for abortions and your lame excuse of "we're just educating people!"? That's social engineering, m'boy.
Quail_man
Posts: 66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:30:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:25:29 AM, Volkov wrote:
We've already had this argument. A couple times, actually. Don't you remember the ultrasound requirement for abortions and your lame excuse of "we're just educating people!"? That's social engineering, m'boy.

LAWLZ
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 10:32:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:30:57 AM, Quail_man wrote:
I've got no argument against this so I'm going to say LAWLZ and wait for my next ban.

Oh ok.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:05:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:03:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
My thought is that you're still a socialist, racist, class-envying moron.

whatever. you can kick rocks.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:07:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:10:33 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:07:03 AM, Quail_man wrote:
What does it matter who he's "in touch" with?

Well, it helps to be "in touch" with the religious base if you're going to put in pro-religious reforms. Get it?

But, that doesn't matter. Kelly is trying to box Obama into a class, and exacerbate the division between classes. He'd fit in with Lenin.

Don't think for me. I posted a topic in the papaer. It said clearly in the body of the thread that I have no strong views. Concentrate your fire jackass. Be lucky you are sitting on the other side of the computer.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:09:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:13:15 AM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:03:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
My thought is that you're still a socialist moron.

Surprising coming from a liberal who essentially advocates socialism or aspects of it.

Thank you. People kill me on here acting as if they have all their ducks lined up, what this guy fails to realize is that he agrees with alot of the stuff I'm talking about, just different words we use.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:10:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 10:15:56 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:13:15 AM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 10:03:14 AM, Volkov wrote:
My thought is that you're still a socialist moron.

Surprising coming from a liberal who essentially advocates socialism or aspects of it.

That's even funnier coming from a man whose ideas amount to social engineering, something that seems in lock and step with communists/socialists/authoritarians.

An inclinantion of brains, and your opinion is supposed to have weight.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:13:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:07:29 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Don't think for me. I posted a topic in the papaer. It said clearly in the body of the thread that I have no strong views. Concentrate your fire jackass.

So, because you said "I have no strong opinions" in this thread, it nullifies everything you've said in every other thread?

Be lucky you are sitting on the other side of the computer.

Yeah, I'm afraid.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:16:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Kelly, I might agree with you on some things, but I do not agree with you on a lot of other things. That being true, I can criticize you and your views if I want. If you don't like it, please refute it. But you never do, so what else am I supposed to think?

And it is also very amusing that you start agreeing with askbob, a conservative, about how wrong I am, just after you attack me for not realizing that I "agree with you." What the hell is that?
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:22:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:13:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:07:29 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Don't think for me. I posted a topic in the papaer. It said clearly in the body of the thread that I have no strong views. Concentrate your fire jackass.

So, because you said "I have no strong opinions" in this thread, it nullifies everything you've said in every other thread?

Yeah, it's funny how (some) anglo saxon descendants get offended so easliy when they percieve racism, but what about (some blacks) who endure racism on a daily basis, and most often it falls upon death ears. Your insults show me how little self esteem you have. Keep up the good work champ!

Be lucky you are sitting on the other side of the computer.


Yeah, I'm afraid.

Big words often come from cowards,could this possibly be a character trait of yours?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:22:06 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Yeah, it's funny how (some) anglo saxon descendants get offended so easliy when they percieve racism, but what about (some blacks) who endure racism on a daily basis, and most often it falls upon death ears. Your insults show me how little self esteem you have. Keep up the good work champ!

I didn't insult you, moron (minus that - that was an insult). I offer to you the chance to refute what I say, but all you do is come back and claim racism on my part. That isn't even a response - its just a statement without basis. If you want to actually be heard, why don't you say something that actually matters to the subject at hand!

But, no, that isn't your style apparently. You claim the evil Anglo-Saxon is being racist and ignoring the plight of blacks, when I've never said or implicated such a thing in my life. You're the one who sits there and complains, yet apparently does nothing to help the situation! And that, my dear sir, is why you are the racist.

Big words often come from cowards,could this possibly be a character trait of yours?

... You just said, "be lucky you're on the other side of the computer," and I'm the one who gets the "big words from cowards" line? Really?
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:16:14 PM, Volkov wrote:
Kelly, I might agree with you on some things, but I do not agree with you on a lot of other things. That being true, I can criticize you and your views if I want. If you don't like it, please refute it. But you never do, so what else am I supposed to think?

You can think what you want. I come on here to exchange ideas, not prove I'm right. If you disagree with anything I say, and you are expecting some heated exchange to happen, than hold your breathe.

And it is also very amusing that you start agreeing with askbob, a conservative, about how wrong I am, just after you attack me for not realizing that I "agree with you." What the hell is that?

I am an independent, If I agree with what a conservative said, it's mainly because I am not hiding behind being liberal or conservative. I agree with people who state vital points, irregardless of their party affiliation.

It's hypocrisy?..A trait that every human being is guilty of......example ...POLITICIANS. If it's alright with you can I flip flop?...Thanks for giving me my opinion sir, you are so gracious...lol
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:31:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM, kelly224 wrote:
You can think what you want. I come on here to exchange ideas, not prove I'm right. If you disagree with anything I say, and you are expecting some heated exchange to happen, than hold your breathe.

You just contradicted yourself.

I am an independent, If I agree with what a conservative said, it's mainly because I am not hiding behind being liberal or conservative. I agree with people who state vital points, irregardless of their party affiliation.

Never said anything about party affiliation.

It's hypocrisy?..A trait that every human being is guilty of......example ...POLITICIANS. If it's alright with you can I flip flop?...Thanks for giving me my opinion sir, you are so gracious...lol

Can you flip-flop? Sure, you can. Should you? No. Because if you do, this grand "exchange of ideas" you want will fail, because no one will listen to you.

However, if you try not to flip-flop and contradict yourself, you might seem like you're actually interested in an "exchange of ideas." You might seem like you're actually interested in intellectual honesty. But, you aren't interested in either, are you?
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:36:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:22:06 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Yeah, it's funny how (some) anglo saxon descendants get offended so easliy when they perceive racism, but what about (some blacks) who endure racism on a daily basis, and most often it falls upon death ears. Your insults show me how little self esteem you have. Keep up the good work champ!

I didn't insult you, moron (minus that - that was an insult). I offer to you the chance to refute what I say, but all you do is come back and claim racism on my part. That isn't even a response - its just a statement without basis. If you want to actually be heard, why don't you say something that actually matters to the subject
at hand!

You are deluded, you never heard me call you a racist, again assumptions. You were just spirited on some of my topics. I have been labeled racist, and that is far from what I am, but I can't debate online about the merits of my character with people who don't know me personally.

But, no, that isn't your style apparently. You claim the evil Anglo-Saxon is being racist and ignoring the plight of blacks, when I've never said or implicated such a thing in my life. You're the one who sits there and complains, yet apparently does nothing to help the situation! And that, my dear sir, is why you are the racist.

Apparently?...ok. I did not say that white folks are evil, and should be banished to the furthest depths of hell. I would be a clear racist for saying such non sense. I am not putting blacks on some pedestal, because that's not how I operate. I know that there is equal finger pointing to go along. If this world was so solution conscience, than we would not be arguing the same lame topics for centuries.

Big words often come from cowards,could this possibly be a character trait of yours?

... You just said, "be lucky you're on the other side of the computer," and I'm the one who gets the "big words from cowards" line? Really?

I'm not going to go back and forth about this one. You insulted me, and I responded. If you want to continue, then be my guest, but as you have observed before I have no need to prove anything.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:38:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:31:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM, kelly224 wrote:
You can think what you want. I come on here to exchange ideas, not prove I'm right. If you disagree with anything I say, and you are expecting some heated exchange to happen, than hold your breathe.

You just contradicted yourself.

I am an independent, If I agree with what a conservative said, it's mainly because I am not hiding behind being liberal or conservative. I agree with people who state vital points, irregardless of their party affiliation.

Never said anything about party affiliation.

It's hypocrisy?..A trait that every human being is guilty of......example ...POLITICIANS. If it's alright with you can I flip flop?...Thanks for giving me my opinion sir, you are so gracious...lol

Can you flip-flop? Sure, you can. Should you? No. Because if you do, this grand "exchange of ideas" you want will fail, because no one will listen to you.

However, if you try not to flip-flop and contradict yourself, you might seem like you're actually interested in an "exchange of ideas." You might seem like you're actually interested in intellectual honesty. But, you aren't interested in either, are you?

this is entertainment. There are bigger issues in the world than getting my blood pressure up over a computer site. Just my opinion. I love debating, but if anyone wants to debate with me, than it better be done face to face.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:38:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:31:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:27:53 PM, kelly224 wrote:
You can think what you want. I come on here to exchange ideas, not prove I'm right. If you disagree with anything I say, and you are expecting some heated exchange to happen, than hold your breathe.

You just contradicted yourself.


thanks for your observations.
I am an independent, If I agree with what a conservative said, it's mainly because I am not hiding behind being liberal or conservative. I agree with people who state vital points, irregardless of their party affiliation.

Never said anything about party affiliation.

It's hypocrisy?..A trait that every human being is guilty of......example ...POLITICIANS. If it's alright with you can I flip flop?...Thanks for giving me my opinion sir, you are so gracious...lol

Can you flip-flop? Sure, you can. Should you? No. Because if you do, this grand "exchange of ideas" you want will fail, because no one will listen to you.

However, if you try not to flip-flop and contradict yourself, you might seem like you're actually interested in an "exchange of ideas." You might seem like you're actually interested in intellectual honesty. But, you aren't interested in either, are you?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:46:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:36:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:
You are deluded, you never heard me call you a racist, again assumptions. You were just spirited on some of my topics. I have been labeled racist, and that is far from what I am, but I can't debate online about the merits of my character with people who don't know me personally.

You have indeed attempted to paint me as racist. In so many words? No, but I believe you're smart enough to figure it out yourself.

And yes, you have been labelled racist. And yes, you can defend yourself, as you attempted to do just below here. Are you seriously going to keep up this contradicting argument?

Apparently?...ok. I did not say that white folks are evil, and should be banished to the furthest depths of hell. I would be a clear racist for saying such non sense. I am not putting blacks on some pedestal, because that's not how I operate. I know that there is equal finger pointing to go along. If this world was so solution conscience, than we would not be arguing the same lame topics for centuries.

See, had you simply said this before, we wouldn't have much of an issue! Its so simple!

I have no need to prove anything.

Well then maybe you shouldn't be saying things like "you're lucky you're on the other side of the computer." This brings me to yet another point: the fact that you claim not to be or do certain things, yet your actions speak otherwise. When does it end?

At 2/3/2010 12:38:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:
this is entertainment. There are bigger issues in the world than getting my blood pressure up over a computer site. Just my opinion. I love debating, but if anyone wants to debate with me, than it better be done face to face.

So you simply state opinions, love debating, yet you won't defend your opinions simply because its online...

I call shenanigans. I think you simply have nothing to back up half your claims. Prove me wrong, or gtfo.
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:54:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:46:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:36:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:
You are deluded, you never heard me call you a racist, again assumptions. You were just spirited on some of my topics. I have been labeled racist, and that is far from what I am, but I can't debate online about the merits of my character with people who don't know me personally.

You have indeed attempted to paint me as racist. In so many words? No, but I believe you're smart enough to figure it out yourself.

And yes, you have been labelled racist. And yes, you can defend yourself, as you attempted to do just below here. Are you seriously going to keep up this contradicting argument?

Apparently?...ok. I did not say that white folks are evil, and should be banished to the furthest depths of hell. I would be a clear racist for saying such non sense. I am not putting blacks on some pedestal, because that's not how I operate. I know that there is equal finger pointing to go along. If this world was so solution conscience, than we would not be arguing the same lame topics for centuries.

See, had you simply said this before, we wouldn't have much of an issue! Its so simple!

I have no need to prove anything.

Well then maybe you shouldn't be saying things like "you're lucky you're on the other side of the computer." This brings me to yet another point: the fact that you claim not to be or do certain things, yet your actions speak otherwise. When does it end?

At 2/3/2010 12:38:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:
this is entertainment. There are bigger issues in the world than getting my blood pressure up over a computer site. Just my opinion. I love debating, but if anyone wants to debate with me, than it better be done face to face.

So you simply state opinions, love debating, yet you won't defend your opinions simply because its online...

I call shenanigans. I think you simply have nothing to back up half your claims. Prove me wrong, or gtfo.

thanks!
Quail_man
Posts: 66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 12:56:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:22:06 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Yeah, it's funny how (some) anglo saxon descendants get offended so easliy when they percieve racism, but what about (some blacks) who endure racism on a daily basis, and most often it falls upon death ears. Your insults show me how little self esteem you have. Keep up the good work champ!

protip: Anglo Saxon = German people from Saxony who invaded England
kelly224
Posts: 952
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:43:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 12:56:55 PM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 12:22:06 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Yeah, it's funny how (some) anglo saxon descendants get offended so easliy when they percieve racism, but what about (some blacks) who endure racism on a daily basis, and most often it falls upon death ears. Your insults show me how little self esteem you have. Keep up the good work champ!

protip: Anglo Saxon = German people from Saxony who invaded England

thank you handy helper.
Quail_man
Posts: 66
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:45:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 1:43:41 PM, kelly224 wrote:
thank you handy helper.

Just didn't understand why you were equating saxons who invaded germany with all white people. You can just say White people. We know we're white, we're not like black people who get all offended about it. We don't need to be called German-Americans (if we are indeed from Germany)
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2010 1:49:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/3/2010 1:45:46 PM, Quail_man wrote:
At 2/3/2010 1:43:41 PM, kelly224 wrote:
thank you handy helper.

Just didn't understand why you were equating saxons who invaded germany with all white people. You can just say White people. We know we're white, we're not like black people who get all offended about it. We don't need to be called German-Americans (if we are indeed from Germany)

I'm Slavic, so...