Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 8:41:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Need I say more?

Okay, I will.

Whatever happened to "protect and serve" and the Andy Griffiths of the world?
Now, they use sports cars to establish speed traps, and excercise zero discretion, even up to violating the law, during "click it or ticket weekend" or other funded aggressors.

I used to, and to point still do, respect police for what they do, but it seems in my state, they are more an instrument of revenue collection, then a force for bettering the community.
My work here is, finally, done.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 8:55:31 PM
"Whatever happened to "protect and serve" and the Andy Griffiths of the world?"

That would be lawyers and people suing them for frivolous reasons thus creating distrust in everyone they come in contact with and being verbally abused and hearing people say fuk the police.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 9:04:14 PM
At 4/17/2014 8:41:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Need I say more?

Not that I disagree, but you wanna' tell us why you're pissed with the po' po'?

Okay, I will.

Now, they use sports cars to establish speed traps, and excercise zero discretion, even up to violating the law, during "click it or ticket weekend" or other funded aggressors.

That's not the only thing:

http://www.economist.com...

https://www.aclu.org...

I used to, and to point still do, respect police for what they do, but it seems in my state, they are more an instrument of revenue collection, then a force for bettering the community.

They're not just squandering tax dollars... they're making mistakes and killing innocent people. But, that's just the civil rights sensitive bleeding heart liberal in me talking...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 9:19:27 PM
At 4/17/2014 9:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Need I say more?

Not that I disagree, but you wanna' tell us why you're pissed with the po' po'?
Nothing that happened to me, but I'm drunk, so why not ;)

Okay, I will.

That's not the only thing:

http://www.economist.com...

https://www.aclu.org...

I could make an argument that a police force needs to be as equipped as gangs and whatnot, but what makes me mad is the obvious trading of protection (parking a police car to slow down speeders) for increasing revenue (speed traps with a sports car; i.e. a car you wouldn't expect to be a cop, so one isn't scared into being safe).

They're not just squandering tax dollars... they're making mistakes and killing innocent people. But, that's just the civil rights sensitive bleeding heart liberal in me talking...

Again, I could defend some of those actions, not all, but it is clear as day that police are a revenue service, not any sort of protection/community one.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 11:46:37 AM
Need I say more?

Okay, I will.

Somebody we know on this forum just got his wrist slapped for speeding and he's feeling really hurt about it. Any idea who that would be kahoss?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 11:56:30 AM
At 4/18/2014 11:46:37 AM, monty1 wrote:
Need I say more?

Okay, I will.

Somebody we know on this forum just got his wrist slapped for speeding and he's feeling really hurt about it. Any idea who that would be kahoss?

"The majority of people on this site think you are a cheap debater, so I will not engage you. I encourage others to do the same"
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:12:10 PM
I guess it's difficult when dealing with police, because, at least to me, you have to be able to ride the fine line between respecting the person, and the office, but still remembering that that badge he or she has doesn't make him or her your friend, and you still need to stand up to them to exercise your rights.

My experiences working with the ACLU definitely have given me the instinct to be as noncooperative as possible to fully exercise your rights. But, what I WILL say (slightly unrelated to OP), is that a LOT of people who exercise their rights with police can't seem to do it respectfully and just end up being douchenozzles. It's really frustrating, actually.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:33:00 PM
At 4/18/2014 11:46:37 AM, monty1 wrote:
Need I say more?

Okay, I will.

I haven't had a ticket in over two years.
My issue is the use of an undercover car to trap speeders, texters, and non-seatbelt wearers. The fact that a corvette (or some sports car) is a decoy, proves the police care more about revenue then safety.

In addition, there are "X weekends", where police do not exercise any discretion, as they are to ticket everyone, regardless of reason, who violates a particular law, such as, not wearing a seatbelt.
Again, revenue before safety.
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:34:15 PM
At 4/18/2014 12:12:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I guess it's difficult when dealing with police, because, at least to me, you have to be able to ride the fine line between respecting the person, and the office, but still remembering that that badge he or she has doesn't make him or her your friend, and you still need to stand up to them to exercise your rights.

My experiences working with the ACLU definitely have given me the instinct to be as noncooperative as possible to fully exercise your rights. But, what I WILL say (slightly unrelated to OP), is that a LOT of people who exercise their rights with police can't seem to do it respectfully and just end up being douchenozzles. It's really frustrating, actually.

Yup, get caught speeding and then cry about it to exercise your rights! That's the best indication yet that it's got nothing to do with rights and everything to do with bad boys resenting authority.

The kind of people who would get rid of the police and let everyone speed wherever they like. Anarchy disguised as teabaggery. Not to be taken seriously. Reminds me of the time jpuppy got caught speeding and he cried all over his keyboard about it for days.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:40:13 PM
At 4/18/2014 12:34:15 PM, monty1 wrote:

Yup, get caught speeding and then cry about it to exercise your rights! That's the best indication yet that it's got nothing to do with rights and everything to do with bad boys resenting authority.

The kind of people who would get rid of the police and let everyone speed wherever they like. Anarchy disguised as teabaggery. Not to be taken seriously. Reminds me of the time jpuppy got caught speeding and he cried all over his keyboard about it for days.

"The majority of people on this site think you are a cheap debater, so I will not engage you. I encourage others to do the same"
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:41:51 PM

Um, that isn't even where I was going with that, so can you tone it down a bit? Thanks.

My point was just that generally police interactions are extremely difficult, especially when they try and, for instance, accuse you of a crime other than speeding and badger you for not consenting to a search of your car. Basically, and yes, it's not quite related to what Khaos was talking about specifically, I'm saying that even more specifically than getting pulled over, when you're talking to a police officer it's generally difficult because you don't want to be bullied by them and you want to protect your rights, particularly with searches, but you also should be a decent human being to another person (especially another person with authority over you, even if limited).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
monty1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 12:51:49 PM
At 4/18/2014 12:41:51 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Um, that isn't even where I was going with that, so can you tone it down a bit? Thanks.

My point was just that generally police interactions are extremely difficult, especially when they try and, for instance, accuse you of a crime other than speeding and badger you for not consenting to a search of your car. Basically, and yes, it's not quite related to what Khaos was talking about specifically, I'm saying that even more specifically than getting pulled over, when you're talking to a police officer it's generally difficult because you don't want to be bullied by them and you want to protect your rights, particularly with searches, but you also should be a decent human being to another person (especially another person with authority over you, even if limited).

STop talking about imaginary scenarios that the teabaggers have dreamed up for you and talk about reality. Or, just stay with the issue of a dumb as5 kid speeding and then posting an obscene title because he can't take authority slapping his wrist.

And if your problem is police corruption then that's just an indication that your whole country has become corrupted by teabaggery. Kriste, they're still pretending that the Benghazi thing was something to do with Obama or Clinton not caring or lying or whatever it is today for wingnuts.

If you don't want to talk about Kahoss's issue then start a thread to complain about authority.