GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 2:32:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think gun laws only take guns away from good people. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained guns. The government can't stop them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 2:41:39 AM
At 2/4/2010 2:37:32 AM, Puck wrote:
That's why we need Power Rangers police forces. *nodsnods*

But sadly this is no perfect world. lmao
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 2:43:09 AM
At 2/4/2010 2:24:13 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 2/4/2010 2:22:50 AM, Puck wrote:
Context = write ideas for my debate rounds? :P

haha, no, but that's a good idea

By the way, I already have my arguments all figured out, it's just a matter of finding the statistics to back myself up.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 2:58:26 AM
Are you saying that the result of the statistics have a different cause?

I just don't know what your saying.

How hard is it to just say it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 7:56:27 AM
Yes, taking away gun rights is not only twisting the constitution, but taking away even more freedom.
It will not stop criminals people from getting guns, just like people still get weed. There will simply be more illegal activity of people trying to smuggle guns into the country.
kfc
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 8:01:25 AM
At 2/4/2010 7:56:27 AM, Koopin wrote:
Yes, taking away gun rights is not only twisting the constitution, but taking away even more freedom.
It will not stop criminals people from getting guns, just like people still get weed. There will simply be more illegal activity of people trying to smuggle guns into the country.

"CON Drug legalisation"
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 8:34:57 AM
At 2/4/2010 2:32:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I think gun laws only take guns away from good people. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained guns. The government can't stop them.

mmm... I'm for gun rights, but I think that if the sale of legal guns was severely restricted you would see a fall in the number of illegally owned guns.

people who got them legally can easily "lose" them for some quick cash when money's tight
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 8:39:35 AM
I think the law ought to be if you're a violent convict (esp. if you used a gun) and you are in possession of a gun you get something like 5 years in jail.

Other than that, no licenses, no permits,etc.

and no Assault/sniper rifles except for the state militia and fed govt.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 8:59:25 AM
At 2/4/2010 8:39:35 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I think the law ought to be if you're a violent convict (esp. if you used a gun) and you are in possession of a gun you get something like 5 years in jail.

Granted that, Ideally, I'd like to see much more streamlined and effective justice for those who have committed heinously violent crimes, and there'd probably be a lot less violent people walking around who might shoot people.

"streamlined" is not to say that I'd wan't easier standards to get a conviction, just (in cases in which the evidence is damning) a quicker process to get the conviction, and a quicker process to get the penalty, that is; hanging the next day.

Metaphysics:
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:41:58 AM
At 2/4/2010 7:56:27 AM, Koopin wrote:

Hmm...I live in Britain, where the amount of crimes involving guns are very low. If the lack of people using guns is not to be attributed to strict gun legislation, what is it to be attributed to?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 11:22:44 AM
My view is that yes, people have a right to a gun because it is property and they should be allowed to own one. But the nature of a gun is such that you need to regulate it for the purposes of safety.

This means only having certified dealers selling legal guns that will be registered, and have background checks on people to watch for the mentally handicapped, people with a history of domestic abuse or other violent criminal acts, and offering training to people so they know how to safely use a gun and keep it locked up safe.

I say the last bit because there was a fairly recent statistic which showed that the majority of guns that are smuggled into Canada are guns stolen from legal owners. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the majority of illegal guns were at one time legal and certified, yet because no one locked it up properly, they get stolen. Its a very important issue that needs to be addressed if you want to tackle the issue of illegal guns.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 11:31:09 AM
At 2/4/2010 9:49:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Guns don't kill people, crazy muthaf*ckers with guns kill people. :P

agreed x.x