Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Racism In The NBA *

inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 12:49:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

We would like to think so but I doubt it. And I don't intend to be intentionally negative about it. One thing for sure in my opinion is that the media doesn't have that intent when they presented it.

I think there's a good possibility that the racism will be further encouraged by articles such as this. There's a definite effort to punish the offender coming out of this and that may succeed for him, but overall it won't succeed in making things better.

There is little doubt that racism has come out of the closets because of the racist hate for Obama. On the positive side, it will go back in the closets after Obama's second term. While it's in the closets it doesn't flourish but does slowly die away. It will be less virulent when sometime in the future another black man becomes president.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?
My work here is, finally, done.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:37:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?

I think you have common sense and can read between the lines.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:57:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 10:37:39 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?

I think you have common sense and can read between the lines.

Have you no sense of humor? It was a joke, you know.
But, seriously, can you post the comment.
I tried to find it, but I couldn't.

I found something, but he didn't say "don't bring blacks here", he said "them".
Clearly, there is context to the quote or at least more to it, and while it probably doesn't matter too much, I still want to hear it.
I cannot gauge reaction to a quote I do not know.
My work here is, finally, done.
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 11:47:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

Post these in the sports section. I would say to create a revival, but it was never really popular.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 1:05:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 11:47:36 AM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

Post these in the sports section. I would say to create a revival, but it was never really popular.

It doesn't have to be. But the truth remains..........
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 2:35:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 10:57:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:37:39 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?

I think you have common sense and can read between the lines.

Have you no sense of humor? It was a joke, you know.
But, seriously, can you post the comment.
I tried to find it, but I couldn't.

I found something, but he didn't say "don't bring blacks here", he said "them".
Clearly, there is context to the quote or at least more to it, and while it probably doesn't matter too much, I still want to hear it.
I cannot gauge reaction to a quote I do not know.

Take lots of time before you condemn Sterling because we know that you really, really want to don't you. Or just remain silent and it won't matter because we already know all we need to know.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 2:35:51 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:57:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:37:39 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?

I think you have common sense and can read between the lines.

Have you no sense of humor? It was a joke, you know.
But, seriously, can you post the comment.
I tried to find it, but I couldn't.

I found something, but he didn't say "don't bring blacks here", he said "them".
Clearly, there is context to the quote or at least more to it, and while it probably doesn't matter too much, I still want to hear it.
I cannot gauge reaction to a quote I do not know.

Take lots of time before you condemn Sterling because we know that you really, really want to don't you. Or just remain silent and it won't matter because we already know all we need to know.

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.
My work here is, finally, done.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:15:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.

His basic point was that he didn't care if she hung out with blacks in her own time. He just didn't want to be associated with them publicly. Thats why he freaked out when she posted a public picture of herself with Magic Johnson. I don't get it either, but clearly he doesn't want to be seen as someone who is friendly towards minorities.

He ended up getting banned for life from attending any NBA event, including his own, and got slapped with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Thats about what he deserved. There's no way this could have ended with him still owning a team.
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:30:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

I'm glad that he's faced backlash, because that there has been backlash shows a cultural willingness not only to oppose racism (however practically benign his may have been) but to punish those who hold racist views. It's in keeping with the progressive ideal of bigotry's becoming a social faux pas, which I think is a good thing insofar as it narrows the range of tolerance of intolerance. Issues like this basically demonstrate the very real flash point between progressivism and liberalism in that while progressives want views like Sterling's not to be "discussable" in the public sphere, liberals are cautious about the chilling effect that popular backlash means for both freedom of thought and conscience. Reasonable people can disagree, but I'm comfortable with the social costs of vocalized racism being insurmountably high because those costs only exist where equality/diversity is a value that's popularly embraced. Implicitly, if we didn't value equality/diversity, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But even more interesting are those who come to his defense. On Reddit today there was an "unpopular opinion puffin" meme which advanced the idea that people should not be held socially or economically accountable for indiscreetly made, off color comments. The meme had netted, when I saw it, a little more than two thousand up votes. In keeping with that same trend, there are of course going to be those who rush to his defense in the name of opposing censorship, lambasting political correctness's imposition's chilling effects on discourse, and the like. It's fine for people to feel that way, because everyone is entitled to their opinion -but advancing that kind of a perspective is endemic to more insidious values being held, and I think most of us know that.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:39:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:15:55 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.

His basic point was that he didn't care if she hung out with blacks in her own time. He just didn't want to be associated with them publicly. Thats why he freaked out when she posted a public picture of herself with Magic Johnson. I don't get it either, but clearly he doesn't want to be seen as someone who is friendly towards minorities.
Apparently not just friendly towards, but acknowledge their existence at all.
You'd think, that in his private life, he'd care even MORE to be segregated from them. I heard his girlfriend was half black half latin, is that right?
Another case of the closeted X-phobe caught with his pants down?

He ended up getting banned for life from attending any NBA event, including his own, and got slapped with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Thats about what he deserved. There's no way this could have ended with him still owning a team.

So, he lost his ownership of the team?!?
That's lame. Go NBA caring about their money than principle....oh wait, that's what he did, too. LOL (*sad smile)
I mean, personally, I don't care, but given the mentality of those who cry foul of discrimination, I find it hypocritical.
You know, that whole should businesses be able to refuse service issue.
My work here is, finally, done.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:49:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:30:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

I'm glad that he's faced backlash, because that there has been backlash shows a cultural willingness not only to oppose racism (however practically benign his may have been) but to punish those who hold racist views. It's in keeping with the progressive ideal of bigotry's becoming a social faux pas, which I think is a good thing insofar as it narrows the range of tolerance of intolerance. Issues like this basically demonstrate the very real flash point between progressivism and liberalism in that while progressives want views like Sterling's not to be "discussable" in the public sphere, liberals are cautious about the chilling effect that popular backlash means for both freedom of thought and conscience. Reasonable people can disagree, but I'm comfortable with the social costs of vocalized racism being insurmountably high because those costs only exist where equality/diversity is a value that's popularly embraced. Implicitly, if we didn't value equality/diversity, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But even more interesting are those who come to his defense. On Reddit today there was an "unpopular opinion puffin" meme which advanced the idea that people should not be held socially or economically accountable for indiscreetly made, off color comments. The meme had netted, when I saw it, a little more than two thousand up votes. In keeping with that same trend, there are of course going to be those who rush to his defense in the name of opposing censorship, lambasting political correctness's imposition's chilling effects on discourse, and the like. It's fine for people to feel that way, because everyone is entitled to their opinion -but advancing that kind of a perspective is endemic to more insidious values being held, and I think most of us know that.

Those who come to his defense are mostly Caucasians who are for White pride, but in a way that makes them feel superior to other races of people.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:52:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:39:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:15:55 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.

His basic point was that he didn't care if she hung out with blacks in her own time. He just didn't want to be associated with them publicly. Thats why he freaked out when she posted a public picture of herself with Magic Johnson. I don't get it either, but clearly he doesn't want to be seen as someone who is friendly towards minorities.
Apparently not just friendly towards, but acknowledge their existence at all.
You'd think, that in his private life, he'd care even MORE to be segregated from them. I heard his girlfriend was half black half latin, is that right?
Another case of the closeted X-phobe caught with his pants down?

In all likelihood, he doesn't like them in his private life either, or in general. However, he probably didn't express the full extent of his views so that he wouldn't upset his girlfriend, who clearly disagrees with him.

He ended up getting banned for life from attending any NBA event, including his own, and got slapped with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Thats about what he deserved. There's no way this could have ended with him still owning a team.

So, he lost his ownership of the team?!?
That's lame. Go NBA caring about their money than principle....oh wait, that's what he did, too. LOL (*sad smile)
I mean, personally, I don't care, but given the mentality of those who cry foul of discrimination, I find it hypocritical.
You know, that whole should businesses be able to refuse service issue.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. What do you mean by the NBA caring more about money than principle? I don't get what you're implying by refusal of service, either.

But he actually hasn't lost ownership yet, he's just being forced to sell it and find a buyer ASAP. In the meantime, he's not allowed at any Clippers facility nor can he attend any NBA game, ever. This definently isn't "lame", though. There is absolutely no way Adam Silver (commissioner) could let someone who's expressed racist views be the owner of an NBA team. This isn't an issue that going to get its 15 minutes of infamy and then be forgotten. If Sterling was still the owner, this would haunt the Clippers as long as he was there. Canning him was the only resolution.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:53:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 2:35:51 PM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:57:02 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:37:39 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 2:14:25 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:50:56 AM, inferno wrote:
At 4/28/2014 11:25:27 AM, monty1 wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

He's just one Americans who got caught shooting his mouth off about his racist hate for blacks. Most Americans don't get caught and are smart enough to hide it in not so cleverly disguised terms.

Here's another chance to choose your side kids. Ugly racist hater or Decent person?
There's no half way on this one either.

So where does that leave us though ? I mean are more White Americans gonna start re-evaluating what they say and think about minorities from now on. =)

For the record, I think white racists are constantly thinking of minorities.

Can you post the comment in its entirety?

I think you have common sense and can read between the lines.

Have you no sense of humor? It was a joke, you know.
But, seriously, can you post the comment.
I tried to find it, but I couldn't.

I found something, but he didn't say "don't bring blacks here", he said "them".
Clearly, there is context to the quote or at least more to it, and while it probably doesn't matter too much, I still want to hear it.
I cannot gauge reaction to a quote I do not know.

Take lots of time before you condemn Sterling because we know that you really, really want to don't you. Or just remain silent and it won't matter because we already know all we need to know.

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.

Is this more White pride rhetoric ?
If a Black had said all of these things about Whites on this tape you would be outraged now wouldn't you. =)
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:54:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:49:46 PM, inferno wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:30:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 4/28/2014 10:08:23 AM, inferno wrote:
First of all you people really need to take a look at the comment posted on this link. Its a real eye opener. http://www.facebook.com...

So what do you DDO think about the Donald Sterling situation. I mean he is a team owner who is obviously uncomfortable with the culture and prestige of minorities.
What are your comments on this.

I'm glad that he's faced backlash, because that there has been backlash shows a cultural willingness not only to oppose racism (however practically benign his may have been) but to punish those who hold racist views. It's in keeping with the progressive ideal of bigotry's becoming a social faux pas, which I think is a good thing insofar as it narrows the range of tolerance of intolerance. Issues like this basically demonstrate the very real flash point between progressivism and liberalism in that while progressives want views like Sterling's not to be "discussable" in the public sphere, liberals are cautious about the chilling effect that popular backlash means for both freedom of thought and conscience. Reasonable people can disagree, but I'm comfortable with the social costs of vocalized racism being insurmountably high because those costs only exist where equality/diversity is a value that's popularly embraced. Implicitly, if we didn't value equality/diversity, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

But even more interesting are those who come to his defense. On Reddit today there was an "unpopular opinion puffin" meme which advanced the idea that people should not be held socially or economically accountable for indiscreetly made, off color comments. The meme had netted, when I saw it, a little more than two thousand up votes. In keeping with that same trend, there are of course going to be those who rush to his defense in the name of opposing censorship, lambasting political correctness's imposition's chilling effects on discourse, and the like. It's fine for people to feel that way, because everyone is entitled to their opinion -but advancing that kind of a perspective is endemic to more insidious values being held, and I think most of us know that.

Those who come to his defense are mostly Caucasians who are for White pride, but in a way that makes them feel superior to other races of people.

Oh, of course. They're both "white pride" people and white people who, even though they're framing their objection to Sterling's situation in defense of free speech or whatever, are really objecting to other white people paying a price for being racists.
inferno
Posts: 10,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:39:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:15:55 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 4/29/2014 3:20:48 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

From the only source I've seen the comment, I am not sure what Sterling's deal is.
Apparently, he doesn't care if his girlfriend sleeps with black guys, let alone hangs out with them, but he doesn't want her to bring them to games or "promote" them (something about a Facebook posting of her posing with Magic Johnson).

Would a racist be cool with his girlfriend sleeping with that which he despises, or even hanging out with them? It doesn't add up.

Don't know if he is senile or racist or just sleezy.
You know, the same question I have with you.

His basic point was that he didn't care if she hung out with blacks in her own time. He just didn't want to be associated with them publicly. Thats why he freaked out when she posted a public picture of herself with Magic Johnson. I don't get it either, but clearly he doesn't want to be seen as someone who is friendly towards minorities.
Apparently not just friendly towards, but acknowledge their existence at all.
You'd think, that in his private life, he'd care even MORE to be segregated from them. I heard his girlfriend was half black half latin, is that right?
Another case of the closeted X-phobe caught with his pants down?

He ended up getting banned for life from attending any NBA event, including his own, and got slapped with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Thats about what he deserved. There's no way this could have ended with him still owning a team.

So, he lost his ownership of the team?!?
That's lame. Go NBA caring about their money than principle....oh wait, that's what he did, too. LOL (*sad smile)
I mean, personally, I don't care, but given the mentality of those who cry foul of discrimination, I find it hypocritical.
You know, that whole should businesses be able to refuse service issue.

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 5:05:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:53:55 PM, inferno wrote:

Is this more White pride rhetoric ?
If a Black had said all of these things about Whites on this tape you would be outraged now wouldn't you. =)

Nope.
I would still probably care as little as I do about this.
I would also be withholding my condemnation until I had, at least, the quote in question.

And, as I said, the version of the quote I saw was incredibly strange, so I am far more intrigued and confused than outraged.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 5:26:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM, inferno wrote:

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.

Do you believe that a business should be allowed to discriminate in whom they serve and/or hire?
If so, there is no hypocrisy.
If not, then you are "firing" the owner and refusing his service (not allowed at games) for nothing more than you don't like him. Justified? Sure. But the bottom line is: you don't like X for Y reason.
The only difference is: you agree with Y reason here, and not in other cases.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 6:22:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 4:52:12 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:39:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

You'd think, that in his private life, he'd care even MORE to be segregated from them. I heard his girlfriend was half black half latin, is that right?
Another case of the closeted X-phobe caught with his pants down?

In all likelihood, he doesn't like them in his private life either, or in general. However, he probably didn't express the full extent of his views so that he wouldn't upset his girlfriend, who clearly disagrees with him.

"How about your whole life, every day, you could do what you want?" a man identified as Sterling said at one point in the conversation recorded on April 9. "You can sleep with (blacks), you can bring them in, you can do whatever you want."
Magic Johnson Twitter page about Clippers owner Sterling. April 26, 2014
Magic Johnson tweeted about Donald Sterling's comments on his Twitter page.

He was apparently incensed that 20-something gal pal V. Stiviano posted a photo of herself with Johnson on Instagram.
"The little I ask you is not to promote it and not to bring them to my games," Sterling railed.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com...

This sounds like she knew the extent of it beforehand, and, like I said, it's creepy.

But, again, if you don't like group X, why would you be okay with you girlfriend sleeping with X. As I said, I'm more confused, than outraged.

My theory is that he likely is racist, but the benign racist that would rather not look at you than kill you. Not inviting you over, etc.
However, maybe in the NBA ownership (or other rich white group), the racism is more of a fervor. So, he just doesn't want to be exposed as "approving" of blacks or being associated with them in any way, except making money of them, and by her flaunting her picture with Magic, that caused him some stress, like losing his seat somewhere.

Scary, but that's the only thing that makes sense. His statements to me are just illogical.

Or, she was bitter towards him for some reason, or realized how racist he was and was fed up, and wanted to make him pay/suffer and/or wanted to extort money and manipulated the situation.


He ended up getting banned for life from attending any NBA event, including his own, and got slapped with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Thats about what he deserved. There's no way this could have ended with him still owning a team.

So, he lost his ownership of the team?!?
That's lame. Go NBA caring about their money than principle....oh wait, that's what he did, too. LOL (*sad smile)
I mean, personally, I don't care, but given the mentality of those who cry foul of discrimination, I find it hypocritical.
You know, that whole should businesses be able to refuse service issue.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. What do you mean by the NBA caring more about money than principle?
It was more a dig at him for hating blacks, yet relying on them for money (players, fans). I think the NBA should just strip him of his team, as they did, but fining on top of that, I think is just greedy.
Do they fine players and then expel them from the league?

I don't get what you're implying by refusal of service, either.
People who bemoan that people shouldn't judge others, or who say that you can't not serve someone because you don't like them (i.e. a racist not serving another at a restaurant), yet, here people are judging, ostracizing, penalizing, and prohibiting him from even being at a "public" event.


But he actually hasn't lost ownership yet, he's just being forced to sell it and find a buyer ASAP. In the meantime, he's not allowed at any Clippers facility nor can he attend any NBA game, ever. This definently isn't "lame", though. There is absolutely no way Adam Silver (commissioner) could let someone who's expressed racist views be the owner of an NBA team. This isn't an issue that going to get its 15 minutes of infamy and then be forgotten. If Sterling was still the owner, this would haunt the Clippers as long as he was there. Canning him was the only resolution.

I mean it is for the best, and the Clippers (and possibly the NBA) would suffer if he wasn't forced to sell. Plus, there was probably some moral clause in his contract as an owner of a franchise. (ahem, Chic-fil-a refusing franchises to gays)
I am just surprised he was forced to sell AND pay a fine.
Plus, knee-jerk reaction to seeing people being forced to do stuff.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 8:43:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is something very weird about the entire situation.

1) His "girlfriend" (read as "mistress" since he is married to someone else) is half black. Most racists typically don't do that.

2) Her questions in the phone seemed very leading, like she was trying to get answers out of him.

3) About 6 weeks ago, Mrs. Sterling filed a claim against the mistress for stealing (it will likely be dismissed outright once the courts catch up to it).

4) Sterling has not yet made a response. He was just banned from the NBA, will be forced to sell his team, and has been completely dragged through the mud on national TV that extends well beyond the sports world, but has said nothing.

I think he's scum (VTL Sterling) but there is likely some bussing going on. Whether he was lead or not, that doesn't change his mindset, only if it gets out (there are also likely going to be legal repercussions for the violation of privacy that was done to him).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jimtimmy3
Posts: 189
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2014 10:24:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The NBA is about 78% black and 17% white. By comparison, the USA as a whole is about 12% black and 70% white.

Is the NBA racist against whites?

Well. Of course not. African Americans just happen to be better at basketball. That is straightforward, sound logic.

But, if we point that out anywhere else. For instance, if we point out that whites make more, on average, because of differences in skills and not preferences instead of the mythical "white privilege", we are racists.

How silly.
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 12:06:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 5:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM, inferno wrote:

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.

Do you believe that a business should be allowed to discriminate in whom they serve and/or hire?
If so, there is no hypocrisy.
If not, then you are "firing" the owner and refusing his service (not allowed at games) for nothing more than you don't like him. Justified? Sure. But the bottom line is: you don't like X for Y reason.
The only difference is: you agree with Y reason here, and not in other cases.

There's no hypocrisy. You understand that the NBA is a business and a brand and they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone who hurts the image of the brand?
#BlackLivesMatter
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 12:35:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2014 12:06:19 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 4/29/2014 5:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM, inferno wrote:

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.

Do you believe that a business should be allowed to discriminate in whom they serve and/or hire?
If so, there is no hypocrisy.
If not, then you are "firing" the owner and refusing his service (not allowed at games) for nothing more than you don't like him. Justified? Sure. But the bottom line is: you don't like X for Y reason.
The only difference is: you agree with Y reason here, and not in other cases.

There's no hypocrisy. You understand that the NBA is a business and a brand and they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone who hurts the image of the brand?

This.

The only color the NBA and NAACP care about is green. They would love for the public to believe that they just now found out that this guy is racist. But that's not true. In 2003, the Sterling was brought into federal court and charged for discriminating against blacks and hispanics by not renting them apartments in buildings he owned. In 2006, he was brought back into court, again for discriminating. After paying $2.7 million, he went back to being an honored owner in the NBA.

The NAACP even had plans to give Sterling a Lifetime Achievement award this May. So why would he just now be scorned by the NAACP and NBA? Because his racism went public. These groups didn't care that Sterling was racist as long as his racism was kept in the closet. But the moment his views went public, they had to do something because they were afraid they would lose money. And that's why he was purged.

The reality is that the NAACP and NBA don't care one bit about racism, just money.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 7:23:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2014 12:06:19 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 4/29/2014 5:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM, inferno wrote:

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.

Do you believe that a business should be allowed to discriminate in whom they serve and/or hire?
If so, there is no hypocrisy.
If not, then you are "firing" the owner and refusing his service (not allowed at games) for nothing more than you don't like him. Justified? Sure. But the bottom line is: you don't like X for Y reason.
The only difference is: you agree with Y reason here, and not in other cases.

There's no hypocrisy. You understand that the NBA is a business and a brand and they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone who hurts the image of the brand?

Yes, I do, and I agree with it.
However, I also agree with a racist having a brand who's image is racist. (i.e. not serving a race, not hiring a race)
To pick and choose what is an acceptable image for a business to aspire, is hypocritical.

So, because Sterling thinks X, he must be exiled (fired) and banned from all future games (refusing service), because he is uncomfortable with dealing with a group of people, it is okay to do this.

However, it is NOT okay for the bigot owner of a business to not hire someone and/or refuse them service, simply because they are not comfortable with them.

How is that not hypocritical?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 7:26:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2014 12:35:02 AM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 5/2/2014 12:06:19 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 4/29/2014 5:26:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 4:55:47 PM, inferno wrote:

And please explain what is so hypocritical about this.

Do you believe that a business should be allowed to discriminate in whom they serve and/or hire?
If so, there is no hypocrisy.
If not, then you are "firing" the owner and refusing his service (not allowed at games) for nothing more than you don't like him. Justified? Sure. But the bottom line is: you don't like X for Y reason.
The only difference is: you agree with Y reason here, and not in other cases.

There's no hypocrisy. You understand that the NBA is a business and a brand and they have the right to get rid of anything or anyone who hurts the image of the brand?

This.

So, because Sterling thinks X, he must be exiled (fired) and banned from all future games (refusing service), because he is uncomfortable with dealing with a group of people, it is okay to do this.

However, it is NOT okay for the bigot owner of a business to not hire someone and/or refuse them service, simply because they are not comfortable with them.

How is that not hypocritical?

I understand why the NBA sacked him, and that fine.
The owner (league) doesn't want someone like that around.

The only color the NBA and NAACP care about is green. They would love for the public to believe that they just now found out that this guy is racist. But that's not true. In 2003, the Sterling was brought into federal court and charged for discriminating against blacks and hispanics by not renting them apartments in buildings he owned. In 2006, he was brought back into court, again for discriminating. After paying $2.7 million, he went back to being an honored owner in the NBA.

The NAACP even had plans to give Sterling a Lifetime Achievement award this May. So why would he just now be scorned by the NAACP and NBA? Because his racism went public. These groups didn't care that Sterling was racist as long as his racism was kept in the closet. But the moment his views went public, they had to do something because they were afraid they would lose money. And that's why he was purged.

The reality is that the NAACP and NBA don't care one bit about racism, just money.

Sterling, as well.
He didn't seem to care that he was making money off of those he hates, and takes money from those he hates via ticket sales.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 7:29:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/29/2014 10:24:27 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:
The NBA is about 78% black and 17% white. By comparison, the USA as a whole is about 12% black and 70% white.

Is the NBA racist against whites?

Well. Of course not. African Americans just happen to be better at basketball. That is straightforward, sound logic.

But, if we point that out anywhere else. For instance, if we point out that whites make more, on average, because of differences in skills and not preferences instead of the mythical "white privilege", we are racists.


How silly.

Not necessarily as silly as you may think.
If a black schoolboy from the 60s (who is now in their 60s) got a worse education due to segregation, that handicap is compounded over decades. Add to that the issue of wealth.

I think in 20 years or so, race baiting arguments will have very little backing.
But currently, this is apples and oranges.
My work here is, finally, done.
monty1
Posts: 1,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 11:29:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/2/2014 7:29:52 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 4/29/2014 10:24:27 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:
The NBA is about 78% black and 17% white. By comparison, the USA as a whole is about 12% black and 70% white.

Is the NBA racist against whites?

Well. Of course not. African Americans just happen to be better at basketball. That is straightforward, sound logic.

But, if we point that out anywhere else. For instance, if we point out that whites make more, on average, because of differences in skills and not preferences instead of the mythical "white privilege", we are racists.


How silly.

Not necessarily as silly as you may think.
If a black schoolboy from the 60s (who is now in their 60s) got a worse education due to segregation, that handicap is compounded over decades. Add to that the issue of wealth.

I think in 20 years or so, race baiting arguments will have very little backing.
But currently, this is apples and oranges.

So you support Sterling and think that arguments against racism are racebaiting. Do you support bringing back segregated water drinking fountains? Fair question? If we are fully atuned to what's going on we are always looking for arguments in favour of more race equality and sometimes when that's lacking we start to get suspicious.

KKK code ya know!