Jump to topic:

Uniting Britain & the Republic of Ireland

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:32:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If/ when Scotland becomes independent of Britain, would Ireland ever agree to be part of the united kingdom to ensure that it's trading routes with us remain open?

I would like some Irish people's opinion on whether they would like to join the United Kingdom. Serious answers only please. The Troubles were 40 years ago.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2014 10:44:39 AM
At 5/4/2014 10:32:27 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If/ when Scotland becomes independent of Britain, would Ireland ever agree to be part of the united kingdom to ensure that it's trading routes with us remain open?

I would like some Irish people's opinion on whether they would like to join the United Kingdom. Serious answers only please. The Troubles were 40 years ago.

No, it wouldn't. Ireland will likely never rejoin the UK. Maybe if you guys became federalist, but that would still be stretching it 3 miles long.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
WheezySquash8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 5:10:17 AM
At 5/4/2014 10:32:27 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

It would be cool, but most likely would not happen.
Pacifist Since 3/12/14
Wheezy
Jlav78
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 7:52:04 AM
I am Irish, and it seems highly unlikely that the republic would join the UK in the foreseeable future, it would require one of the main parties to change their views in support of a United Kingdom with Ireland in it. The Scottish referendum might cause violence in the area due to some people wanting freedom, 'if Scotland can gain it, why can't we?' views but nothing as far as a full revolt or civil war.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 10:43:57 AM
Why would anyone want to join that forgotten empire?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.