Why exactly did Reagan do this?

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 1:36:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm not exactly referring to what this article is talking about, but rather this paragraph which provides some interesting historical background:

"The administration also said Friday that installation of electricity-generating solar panels on the White House is finally complete. Environmental groups had campaigned for Obama to replace solar panels that President Jimmy Carter had installed in 1979 that were removed during the Reagan administration. The White House said in October 2010 that it would install new panels, and work began in August."

Exactly what was Reagan trying to accomplish by doing this? It seems to me that it only shows open hostility to anything that isn't a fossil fuel, which I don't think is justified since energy is energy no matter where it came from. It's just a waste of perfectly good solar panels that weren't hurting anything with their presence.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:47:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 1:36:39 PM, drhead wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm not exactly referring to what this article is talking about, but rather this paragraph which provides some interesting historical background:

"The administration also said Friday that installation of electricity-generating solar panels on the White House is finally complete. Environmental groups had campaigned for Obama to replace solar panels that President Jimmy Carter had installed in 1979 that were removed during the Reagan administration. The White House said in October 2010 that it would install new panels, and work began in August."

Exactly what was Reagan trying to accomplish by doing this? It seems to me that it only shows open hostility to anything that isn't a fossil fuel, which I don't think is justified since energy is energy no matter where it came from. It's just a waste of perfectly good solar panels that weren't hurting anything with their presence.

The roof was leaking under the 32 panels (possibly due to damage from the panel installation) were installed, so they were removed to repair the leak. Reagan felt the solar technology was a joke, and so they were never put back up. And in that regard, he was right - the panels were symbolic and very weak by today's standards. They weren't cost-efficient at all and basically just heated water.