Jump to topic:

Right to Work VS Freedom

jimtimmy3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 3:16:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One thing that annoys me is the concept of right to work. Now, to be clear, I am a libertarian. Not a right or a left libertarian. Just a plain straight libertarian.

Like most libertarians, I'm not a fan of unions. This is because unions often fight for a larger, more intrusive state.

However, when it comes to right to work, it is the unions fighting for freedom and businesses against.

You see, right to work bans voluntary agreements between unions and businesses, thereby restricting freedom of contract.

My point here is that real libertarians should oppose right to work, and that is why I do.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 4:53:35 PM
At 5/9/2014 3:16:19 PM, jimtimmy3 wrote:
One thing that annoys me is the concept of right to work. Now, to be clear, I am a libertarian. Not a right or a left libertarian. Just a plain straight libertarian.

Like most libertarians, I'm not a fan of unions. This is because unions often fight for a larger, more intrusive state.

However, when it comes to right to work, it is the unions fighting for freedom and businesses against.

You see, right to work bans voluntary agreements between unions and businesses, thereby restricting freedom of contract.

My point here is that real libertarians should oppose right to work, and that is why I do.

Right to work doesn't ban unions, it just prohibits union businesses from discriminating against employees if they choose to be non union, and doesn't force them to pay union dues. I am still for it as a libertarian because a business should be able to hire whoever they want and if the union dues being taken out of their paycheck are part of the contract they sign before they enter the workforce, then it's just and they don't have to take the job if they don't want to be associated with a Union, but the idea that right to work bans unions altogether is a myth.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 12:26:53 AM
At 5/9/2014 4:53:35 PM, Objectivity wrote:

Right to work doesn't ban unions, it just prohibits union businesses from discriminating against employees if they choose to be non union, and doesn't force them to pay union dues. I am still for it as a libertarian because a business should be able to hire whoever they want and if the union dues being taken out of their paycheck are part of the contract they sign before they enter the workforce, then it's just and they don't have to take the job if they don't want to be associated with a Union, but the idea that right to work bans unions altogether is a myth.

You are both wrong.

Currently, by law, unions negotiate the contract and new workers are affected by said contract. (I have a problem with this, but it is what it is)

Currently, by law, "negotiating fees" are to be deducted from everyone's pay, as a fee for negotiating the contract. "Dues" are above and beyond this. This is not something that unions like to offer, nor is it something they like to define well, in my experience. To my knowledge, the negotiating fee is about 70% of normal dues.

Currently, by law, you are not forced to join the union; however, since the contract covers you, you have to pay for the cost to establish said contract. You do not get to attend meetings, vote on the contract, and possibly even have union representation if you are not a member.

What "Right to Work" does, is say that a worker covered by a contract does not have to pay for the cost of said contract. This is unfair to me, as one benefits from the contract, and moreso since it is required by law.

Thus, I largely oppose right to work.
However, I oppose the law that mandates future employees to be bound by a contract.
My work here is, finally, done.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 1:01:26 AM

It denies unions to force contracts on businesses to deny workers the right to voluntarily form contracts with businesses without first subjugating themselves to said union.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle