Jump to topic:

Disparate Impact is false charge for racism

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 10:46:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Let me preface this by saying I am aware of what the Supreme Court says, and I vehemently disagree. Disparate impact is defined by a disparate adverse impact, which means laws that are actually based on race are not considered racist, and laws that are not inherently racist are considered to be.

Regardless, assume minorities are poor, thus any law dealing with money has a disparate impact on minorities. Right, that's the charge with Voter ID and welfare, isn't it?

So, the following laws will all have a disparate impact, and are thus, viewed as racist:
- Requiring an ID to vote, even though it is required for liquor and medicine (Nyquil). All three requirements are racist.
- Banks rejecting loans due to income limitations, for example, denying a $200K ($1500/mo) mortgage to someone making $20K.
- Repealing/reducing tax credits, or increasing tax rates as they disparately affect the poor.
- Cutting one dime of welfare.
- Repealing any law that is designed to combat previous racism (like Affirmative Action)
- Immigration reform, since most immigrants (I assume) are minorities
- Requiring the post office to pre-fund liabilities, since the majority of postal workers are black (so says a caller, I think a politician, on the Thom Hartman show)
- Abortion, as minorities utilize this option more (unverified fact)
- Decrease in government funding for charities
- Decrease in funding for military (since military is predominantly white by 3:1) http://www.statisticbrain.com...
- Eliminating tax credits that Walmart uses by hiring those on welfare (racist) and the elderly (ageist).

Assuming minorities are more likely to be convicted of crimes:
-Any policy that uses a criminal record as a bar to employment
- Financial aid, since it is denied if you have a drug conviction (or it was when I filed)
- Death penalty
- Stricter punishment for crimes
- Eliminating tax credits that Walmart uses by hiring recently released felons.

Funny, that the changing of the status quo in one direction is always going to be viewed as racist.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2014 12:25:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What I am trying to say is that saying a law is racist (sexist, ageist, etc.) due solely to the disparate impact is ridiculous, and is, frankly, disingenuous.
My work here is, finally, done.