Jump to topic:

Libertarianism and Future Technology

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 5:32:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As technology advances, the power of a single human being grows. If our survival is secured, nothing will stop the ascent. Our grand children are like gods to us. They will be masters of their environments with the power their minds.

Can individuals be trusted with so much power?

What will happen if the average person can print out an atomic bomb?

When we can form new life and make them any way we choose, are we free to make all choices? Can we design them to be crippled or hopeless and afraid? Do they have the right to be created a certain way?

Do individuals have the right to keep their thoughts private? Or do they have the right to read others?

There are more questions that can be asked. Libertarians will face new challenges as time goes on.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 5:40:00 PM
I'm pretty much convinced that humanity will be gone in 200 years. There's no reason to think that we won't eventually develop a weapon that can single-handedly destroy the earth, and there's no reason to think that someone - at some point - won't build one and use it.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 6:07:24 PM
At 5/15/2014 5:40:00 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I'm pretty much convinced that humanity will be gone in 200 years. There's no reason to think that we won't eventually develop a weapon that can single-handedly destroy the earth, and there's no reason to think that someone - at some point - won't build one and use it.

We've already had the ability to destroy the earth since the Cold War. One detonation can set off a chain reaction.

But becoming a space-faring species is what should secure our place in the universe. Total annihilation becomes much less likely in the future.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 6:10:51 PM
At 5/15/2014 6:07:24 PM, FREEDO wrote:

We've already had the ability to destroy the earth since the Cold War. One detonation can set off a chain reaction.

What is that? One human lifespan? Also, terrorists haven't even had the chance to develop nukes for at least half of that. In fact, statistically speaking, we are overdue for an attack. Obama calls it our "greatest danger", yet no one hardly talks about it.

But becoming a space-faring species is what should secure our place in the universe. Total annihilation becomes much less likely in the future.

I don't think that will ever be practical.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 6:13:04 PM
At 5/15/2014 6:07:24 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I'm pretty sure I totally misread your comment lol.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 6:43:35 PM
At 5/15/2014 6:10:51 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It has been shown in psychological studies that people tend to be over optimistic about themselves and over pessimistic about the world in general.

You should know that it's exactly the opposite. The chances are pretty slim that you'll accomplish anything truly great in life. But that's ok because in time, with our combined effort, every obstacle will be overcome. Even if we do kill ourselves before we get there, somewhere in the universe is another species like our own with the same opportunity. Life is a stage of matter and it's destined to rule the cosmos until nothing remains that's inorganic.

But now this is way off track. I want answers to my questions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 6:48:29 PM
At 5/15/2014 6:43:35 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/15/2014 6:10:51 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

It has been shown in psychological studies that people tend to be over optimistic about themselves and over pessimistic about the world in general.

But my pessimism is not without foundation. There are cold hard facts weighing against the feasibility of space-life. For instance, the speed of light, the sheer distances between everything, etc. Even if it possible, I don't see us leaving earth in time.