Jump to topic:

Powerful cowards

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 1:56:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was listening to a Pacifica broadcast this morning, and it talked about how much of a coward Cheney was. He is no different from many elites who have no problem sending poor whites,blacks,Latinos, and others off to war. What's funny to me is that the ones that beat the war drums the loudest are often draft dodgers,some were born into wealthy families, and etc....
I know that this does not speak for all, but I just wanted to know how you guys felt about this.

I've heard some say that wars are essential, but I challenge that. Wars are essential for power to remain in a select few's hands. It's kind of ironic that when someone uses their first amendment right to decry the hypocrisy involved in wars, they are blacklisted, and ostracised. Has this world become desensitized to violence?

The same broadcast I was listening to said how the war in the Middle East, and other 3rd world countries are fought so that powerful people within nations can control these smaller countries natural resources. (this is what I believe)
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 3:34:06 PM
At 2/9/2010 1:56:59 PM, kelly224 wrote:
I was listening to a Pacifica broadcast

I stopped reading right there.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 3:41:43 PM
At 2/9/2010 2:05:52 PM, PervRat wrote:
Iraq (both times),Vietnam and the Spanish War were the four least essential wars the U.S. has ever waged.

WWI
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 4:17:27 PM
At 2/9/2010 3:41:43 PM, comoncents wrote:
Iraq (both times),Vietnam and the Spanish War were the four least essential wars the U.S. has ever waged.

WWI

And almost WWII.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 4:22:19 PM
Let's not forget the War for Southern Independence (from the Union's side).
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 4:28:52 PM
At 2/9/2010 4:22:19 PM, mongoose wrote:

I agree that they had a right to secede, but I would say that the North had a better justification of war that they should've used.

That is; to end slavery.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 4:51:39 PM
At 2/9/2010 4:28:52 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I agree that they had a right to secede, but I would say that the North had a better justification of war that they should've used.

That is; to end slavery.

Yet they still had slave states. They'd have to first free their slaves before demanding the other states to free theirs.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 6:01:39 PM
At 2/9/2010 3:34:06 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 2/9/2010 1:56:59 PM, kelly224 wrote:
I was listening to a Pacifica broadcast

I stopped reading right there.

Do you find Pacifica to be non sense?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 6:08:14 PM

Yet we have those who claimed these "necessary wars". I know it is far fetched,but I'd like to know who decides, really decides when we go to war. It seems we always have a war that MUST be fought. I am upset that some Democrats, OR Republicans for that matter say that some conflicts have to be fought.

This latest Iraq invasion was based on sheer rhetoric.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 6:08:56 PM

WWI

I agree.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 6:11:14 PM

Your are saying that war was sensless? I don't condone war, but the South showed lots of arrogance.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 7:17:20 PM
At 2/9/2010 6:11:14 PM, kelly224 wrote:

Your are saying that war was sensless? I don't condone war, but the South showed lots of arrogance.

The north showed a lot of arrogance. The states had the right to secession. The north had no right to force them to stay. What arrogance do you speak of?
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 8:51:42 PM
At 2/9/2010 7:17:20 PM, mongeese wrote:
The north showed a lot of arrogance. The states had the right to secession. The north had no right to force them to stay. What arrogance do you speak of?

You mean besides "We promised to be part of this union, we promised to stand up for liberty for all, but we refuse you to force liberty on our plantation owners!"?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:00:15 PM
At 2/9/2010 8:51:42 PM, PervRat wrote:
"We promised to be part of this union"

mmm... they agreed to the Union but:

the 10 amendment states that those powers not given to the Feds, are reserved by the states, or people.

The constitution doesn't spell out that the states cannot freely leave, and, The feds weren't given the power to force states to stay.

- :.The states reserved the power to leave the Union.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:03:27 PM
At 2/9/2010 6:08:56 PM, kelly224 wrote:

WWI

I agree.

I'm pretty sure WW I was fought over imperialism. Imperialism is an oppressive system that had to be stopped, but mind you, WW I didn't do much in that aspect...
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 4:44:19 AM

I'm trying to find out how human slavery is a worthy conflict to defend. Maybe that's me. The South's motives were to preserve their way of life, which was what. The North had laves as well, but at least they had enough decency to get the ball rolling by trying to change the old ways.

Their main reasons were not slavery, and if Abraham Lincoln had not risked his life, who knows where we would be now, maybe still in a slave state.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 6:13:23 AM
At 2/10/2010 4:44:19 AM, kelly224 wrote:

I'm trying to find out how human slavery is a worthy conflict to defend. Maybe that's me. The South's motives were to preserve their way of life, which was what. The North had laves as well, but at least they had enough decency to get the ball rolling by trying to change the old ways.

The north had no such decency!
The south used slaves for slavery, so did the North.
The south just did not discriminate on whom they paid for.
The north had slaves but they had to adopt puritan life still and allow themselves to be changed into believing what the puritans did.

The south did not care what slaves believed.

You give the north too much credit.

Their main reasons were not slavery, and if Abraham Lincoln had not risked his life, who knows where we would be now, maybe still in a slave state.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 8:29:05 AM
At 2/10/2010 6:13:23 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 2/10/2010 4:44:19 AM, kelly224 wrote:

The north had no such decency!
The south used slaves for slavery, so did the North.
The south just did not discriminate on whom they paid for.
The north had slaves but they had to adopt puritan life still and allow themselves to be changed into believing what the puritans did.

The south did not care what slaves believed.

You give the north too much credit.

I'm not giving them any credit, just stating that if it were up to the Southern States than we would probably have not seen slavery abolished then, or ever for that matter.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 9:09:10 AM

WWI

Damn straight.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.