Jump to topic:

120 Years Without Government: Max, Nebraska

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:05:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you disagree with this, feel free to leave your need for validation below.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:57:06 PM
Interesting and cool.

The only thing I find worrisome about it is their lack of law enforcement. Regardless of how much they need it, it would be nice if there was more organization on that part.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 9:58:15 PM
You also have to remember that these kinds of things are only virtually possible in small communities.

The 2010 census said that Max, Nebraska only had 57 residents.
Nolite Timere
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:34:20 PM
At 5/16/2014 9:58:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
You also have to remember that these kinds of things are only virtually possible in small communities.

Evidence? I have 7 case studies to prove the opposite, but I'd like to know what you're thinking.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:34:50 PM
At 5/16/2014 9:57:06 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Interesting and cool.

The only thing I find worrisome about it is their lack of law enforcement. Regardless of how much they need it, it would be nice if there was more organization on that part.

True. Fun fact: there are more private police in the US than public.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 11:39:58 PM
At 5/16/2014 11:34:20 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/16/2014 9:58:15 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Evidence? I have 7 case studies to prove the opposite, but I'd like to know what you're thinking.

No evidence. I'm just thinking that there is no way anarchy would work on a scale as large as the USA.
Nolite Timere
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 8:40:21 AM
At 5/16/2014 9:05:13 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

So,it's in an unincorporated city within a township?
Or rather, an unincorporated town within the village of Haiglar, which oversees things.

Government was used for the two crimes referenced:
1. The bank robber used a license plate to solve it (i.e. DMV)
2. The sheriff arrived. Funny, I don't recall him saying what would have happened had the sheriff (government official, to my understanding, but more administrative) never arrived.

He mentions plumbing. Who services those pipes?

But, yes, there are plenty of townships in the Midwest, with no localalized government. But, just as this guy said, there is little government, not none.

I bet the county laws still apply, and the state ones at that.
But, yes, there are no "city codes" to deal with.
My work here is, finally, done.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 10:44:48 PM
At 5/18/2014 8:40:21 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

So,it's in an unincorporated city within a township?
Or rather, an unincorporated town within the village of Haiglar, which oversees things.

Government was used for the two crimes referenced:
1. The bank robber used a license plate to solve it (i.e. DMV)
2. The sheriff arrived. Funny, I don't recall him saying what would have happened had the sheriff (government official, to my understanding, but more administrative) never arrived.

He mentions plumbing. Who services those pipes?

But, yes, there are plenty of townships in the Midwest, with no localalized government. But, just as this guy said, there is little government, not none.

I bet the county laws still apply, and the state ones at that.
But, yes, there are no "city codes" to deal with.

Ones has no doubt that there are no city codes to deal with... because there aren't enough damn buildings.

Seriously, WSA, this is your grand proof? What, are we all going to live in isolated Midwestern towns of around 60 people? It's not surprising they had no actual police--I'm not sure there would actually be enough money to pay for and hire actual police officers.
Hematite12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 11:15:24 PM

Yes, because this Max, Nebraska is clearly the peak of human civilization and progress.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 2:32:46 AM

I think the guy's world view has been completely absorbed by delusion, so if I felt the need for validation this would be the last place to ask.

First of all, the guy keeps using the word "city" to describe Max. Max's state govt, the State of Nebraska, defines the minimum population for a city @ 10,000 people. The whole of Dundy County only has 2,000 people. Further, in order to incorporate as a secondary village your population must exceed 100 people. Max, Nebraska has never qualified for incorporation so it would be incorrect to assert that Max chooses to live without a city charter. Max is more correctly thought of as a hamlet or simply as that cluster of 20 or so families that remained after the railroad stop shut down. Max's local government, like half the population of Dundy County is provided by Dundy County. Residents of Max pay property taxes and all kinds of different fees to fund the services provided by county just like every other county resident. They get their water and electricity and trash removal and snow plows from their local govt the same as everybody else in Dundy County.

I'm not sure why this guy thinks that Max is special. Half of Nebraska's population lives on unincorporated farms and ranches and hamlets. There's another little hamlet called Parks, Nebraska that's just 2 miles down the highway. They only have 23 people there and no more city govt than Max. Why single out Max, then, as "the most dangerous city in America" or whatever bs this guy is spewing. His local government works the same as most Nebraskans and any claim that Max is making some extraordinary choice is pure delusion.

He describes the roads of Max as unpaved. In truth, the only road of any importance in Max is State Highway 34 which runs through the middle of town. Naturally the two lane rural highway is paved and maintained by the State. Everybody in Max lives a within a few hundred feet of the highway so what the speaker calls the unpaved roads of Max are more properly described as the unpaved private driveways of Max.

There are no stores or businesses left open in Max. Here is what the building in the background looks like now:

http://www.google.com...

and here's the view we get of the town as we drive through at 65 mph- the town is not large enough to slow down the speed limit:

http://www.google.com...

There are no schools in Max. In fact, all the schools and stores and services that Max depends on are located within the only incorporated town in Dundy County, Benkelman, 15 miles down the road. I guess the question is, if living in an unincorporated hamlet is so effective, why is almost every goods and services provider that supplies Max consolidated in the only town government around. I'm sure any non-rancher job in Max must also be in Benkelman. So Max is not so much as city as a tiny, half-abandoned suburb of Benkelman located a little too far out of town to be practical.

We might also note that the population of Dundee County is less than half of what it was in 1950. The median income is also half the national median. Only about 1 in 6 high school grads make it through college. Half of all employment in the county is in cows and pigs. 1 in 5 jobs are government jobs. Additionally, 1 in 5 county residents depend on Medicare and/or some Federal welfare program.

The county has been declared a federal disaster area eligible for FEMA funds 7 times since 2008, mostly because of snow storms or flooding. All non-well water in Max comes from a nearby resevoir built with federal funds in the 40's.

Frankly, I have no idea why this guy imagines his life is not profoundly dependent on a multiplicity of government programs and services. If there was no state road to Benkelmen, Max would have no access to stores or schools, sheriffs or firemen. If state and federal monies were not constantly rebuilding the network of roads and pipes and wires that supply phones and electricity and water to Max's remote location each time the blizzards or floods come, Max would become unsustainable in the space of days if not hours.

Most Americans are disdainful of govt from time to time. It is part of our national character to disbelieve that first world societies are entirely dependent on a networked multiplicity of sophisticated layers of planning, funding, expertise and support, but the truth is that our great national experiment in government of the people by the people for the people has been so successful that Americans are unable imagine what an absence of government really looks like.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2014 3:00:07 AM
I forgot to mention that Max does have a post office. So, 50 years after the railroads gave up on Max, 20 years after the grocery store and the gas station closed, We the People that comprise the US Govt have stuck with Max, maintaining a Federal Government service in that town of 53 at what I am sure is an expense completely outsized compared to the average cost of mail delivery to citizens that choose to live in cities. Yes, Max requires way more government funding to stay alive in the forgotten peripheries of Nebraska than I do in the efficiently governed city of Denver, but I won't begrudge the citizens of Max the right to persist if they won't forget that the rest of us pay extra for their privilege.