Jump to topic:

What is "Radical"?

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:13:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What is "radical" (and not in the TMNT "totally radical dude!" way)?

What does it mean to be "radical" or to be a "radical"?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:15:15 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:13:10 PM, OreEle wrote:

"The term Radical (from the Latin radix meaning root) was used during the late 18th century for proponents of the Radical Movement. It later became a general term for those favoring or seeking political reforms which include dramatic changes to the social order." - Wikipedia[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:16:50 PM
Reasoning, OreEle could have gone to wikipedia for an answer just as easily as you have. And since when did wikipedia become the be all, end all authority on everything?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:17:12 PM

To be communist. lol

Seriously though, the definition of "radical" I have always been taught is wanting rapid, quick change in society.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:18:38 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:16:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Reasoning, OreEle could have gone to wikipedia for an answer just as easily as you have. And since when did wikipedia become the be all, end all authority on everything?

As an anarchist I reject authority. :P "For opposition to all forms of government, social hierarchy or authority, see Anarchism." - Wikipedia[1]

"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:23:26 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:18:38 PM, Reasoning wrote:
As an anarchist I reject authority. :P "For opposition to all forms of government, social hierarchy or authority, see Anarchism." - Wikipedia[1]

That's funny. You treat wikipedia as authority frequently, this thread is a great example actually. Murray Rothbard is your dictator, you listen to everything he says. You're really just a follower with no new ideas. You like to quote wiki, Rothbard, and anything that sounds like Rothbard. It's quite sad actually.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:27:50 PM
Perhaps I should have put this in philosophy.

I've heard various definitions of the term. All of them similar, but all with differences.

From wanting quick changes. To wanting changes that are extremely different then what is the status quo. To wanting to impliment policies before said policies can be fully understood (like potential economic, environmental, andother side effects).
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:28:28 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:23:26 PM, Nags wrote:
That's funny. You treat wikipedia as authority frequently, this thread is a great example actually.

It is a great resource.

Murray Rothbard is your dictator, you listen to everything he says. You're really just a follower with no new ideas. You like to quote wiki, Rothbard, and anything that sounds like Rothbard. It's quite sad actually.

There is no need to invent the wheel twice. The man is right.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:29:46 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:28:28 PM, Reasoning wrote:
That's funny. You treat wikipedia as authority frequently, this thread is a great example actually.

It is a great resource.

My friends hate Wikipedia because anybody can edit it.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:31:04 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:29:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It is amazing in its self-regulation.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:32:01 PM

It is a great resource.

Though if you edit it too much with inaccurate info you can get IP banned. Since in order to edit, you have to either A) have a registered account or B) submit your IP address to the public (meaning everyone now can see your IP address).
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:33:20 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:32:01 PM, OreEle wrote:

It is a great resource.

Though if you edit it too much with inaccurate info you can get IP banned. Since in order to edit, you have to either A) have a registered account or B) submit your IP address to the public (meaning everyone now can see your IP address).

Apperently my friends don't know that then because they always get worried Wikipedia will give them incorrect info.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:34:26 PM
It is a great resource.

So, you take wikipedia as authority. You speak out against authority, but you frequently appeal to it.

There is no need to invent the wheel twice. The man is right.

Then you should put Rothbard's words into your own words, not just quote Rothbard. Anyone can quote who they agree with. It takes a degree of intellect and knowledge to be able to preach and advocate one's favorite philosophy though. The point of this site is give your personal opinion in your own words. Anyone can Google "radical" or Google quotes of people who agree with them, but that just defeats the purpose.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:39:00 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:33:20 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/9/2010 9:32:01 PM, OreEle wrote:

It is a great resource.

Apperently my friends don't know that then because they always get worried Wikipedia will give them incorrect info.

Wiki also has tons of "legit" sources at the very bottom, so you can double check it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:43:15 PM
"Radicalism" originally stemmed out of the British tradition of the Radicals, who were a group of parliamentarians that advocated for movement to liberal policies, including reducing the power of the monarchy, increasing private landownership rights, making parliament and elected officials more powerful as representatives, etc.

In the modern usage, it usually relates to those of progressive ideology who advocate movement away from the status-quo with usually extreme stances on things such as proportional representation, abortion, civil liberties, etc.

Its as simple as that.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2010 9:43:48 PM
At 2/9/2010 9:34:26 PM, Nags wrote:
It is a great resource.
So, you take wikipedia as authority. You speak out against authority, but you frequently appeal to it.

"Appeal to authority is a fallacy of defective induction" - Wikipedia[1]

Authority: The power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge.[2]

To that authority I reject. Authority: An accepted source of expert information or advice[2]

That authority is a great way to resolve disputes.

Then you should put Rothbard's words into your own words, not just quote Rothbard. Anyone can quote who they agree with. It takes a degree of intellect and knowledge to be able to preach and advocate one's favorite philosophy though.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find the quote that I am looking for? I generally find something which I remember Rothbard having spoken of somewhere in my readings and then spend the next half-hour trying to find the quote I wanted.

The point of this site is give your personal opinion in your own words. Anyone can Google "radical" or Google quotes of people who agree with them, but that just defeats the purpose.

The goal of this site is to debate. "Debate or debating is a formal method of interactive and representational argument." - Wikipedia[3]

[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 2:06:59 AM
At 2/9/2010 9:17:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

To be communist. lol

Seriously though, the definition of "radical" I have always been taught is wanting rapid, quick change in society.

I thought that was revolutionary, not radical.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 2:17:12 AM
At 2/10/2010 2:09:03 AM, PervRat wrote:
Radical is simply something far outside the "norm." An outlier.

Then I suppose I'd be considered an extreme radical given that I'm a Panarchist who believes society is being manipulated by a Reptilian-Illuminati agenda. Of course, I don't think it gets any more radical or insane than the right-wing conservatives of America.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat