Jump to topic:

Protection vs Freedom

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 8:51:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just posted to a thread about choosing National security over freedom. I'm kind of thrown off. I was interested in knowing are lots of Americans they terrified by the terrorist threats that they would rather give eminent domain to the government in hopes of their protection?

911 was a catastrophic vent for our nation, but I say that if a terrorist cell wants to strike, it's nothing ordinary citizens can do. The very powers we are entrusting in is a government who have bunkers for a select few to escape in the event that a biohazard attack happens.

I will add that if Bin Laden (who I think is dead already,or not being pursued), or any other cell wanted to orchestrate another event, than it's nothing that anyone can do, thus this is the reason we are using preemptive campaigns now.

Do you feel it essential for us to continuously loose freedoms in order to feel safe?...I am not talking about heightened security measures at airports, or anything simple like that.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 3:40:49 PM
I would say that the less freedoms that a person has the safer that person should feel to a point. At this time I can't accurately describe what that point is, but I hope many of you see what I'm trying to illustrate.

With that said I would raher live in a place where I am able to be as free as I can be and screw safety. Within reason of course. I know that military and law enforcement officials are necessary but for the most part I value freedom above all else.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
NotArrogantJustRight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 12:24:58 AM
At 2/10/2010 8:51:10 AM, kelly224 wrote:
I was interested in knowing are lots of Americans they terrified by the terrorist threats that they would rather give eminent domain to the government in hopes of their protection?

911 was a catastrophic vent for our nation, but I say that if a terrorist cell wants to strike, it's nothing ordinary citizens can do.

Do you feel it essential for us to continuously loose freedoms in order to feel safe?...I am not talking about heightened security measures at airports, or anything simple like that.

Very good and important questions.

First off, eminent domain has very little to do with our alleged protection. Eminent domain allows the government to seize private lands to be put towards public use. Even with fairly strict language, the government has been majorly abusing this power by simply transferring the confiscated private lands to another private entity and claiming it is for the public good. But that is for another discussion…

I heartily disagree that "ordinary" citizens can do nothing about a future attack on America whether orchestrated by terrorists or an organized military. The clearest example is Switzerland. During both WWI and WWII it was nearly surrounded on all sides by Axis countries yet managed to remain neutral through both conflicts and was never engaged in a major battle. It could be argued that one major reason for this was the prevalence of private firearms. The Swiss have been manufacturers of firearms for many years and the government has encouraged the possession of a rifle by every head of household for common defense. It is not uncommon to see an average citizen shopping for groceries with an "assault" rifle slung over his shoulder.

America comes in a close second behind Switzerland. As the Second Amendment states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." By the way, the militia is NOT the National Guard as some are led to believe. The militia is legally defined as "all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and … under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United State" (10 USC 311). I feel that this country was founded on the principle of ALL citizens taking part in the defense of this nation. It is our duty as citizens.

Do I feel it necessary to lose freedom in order to feel safe? Hell no!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
NotArrogantJustRight
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 12:36:46 AM
Thought I would add a relevant story real quick. It would be humorous if it weren't so sickening.

A couple years ago I was deployed to Iraq. For the freedom flight home to America, the military had chartered our very own Boeing 767 (World Airlines for those in the know). However, even a chartered military flight must comply with FAA regulations. Here's what happened…

We were allowed one carry-on piece of luggage. Officers were allowed one additional for the all important laptop. The remainder of our baggage went through the winding system of conveyor belts through whatever mysterious security luggage goes through.

Prior to getting on the plane all passengers were required to go through the metal detector and send our carry-on through the x-ray machine. We all had to take the metal objects out of our pockets and place them in the tray. We had to remove our shoes. I had my tweezers, fingernail clippers, and shampoo confiscated. Apparently I might have hijacked the plane MacGuyver-style. Numerous other people had deodorant, toothpaste, hair gel, and you name it confiscated in the name of safety.

Then they allowed us to retrieve our weapons and board the plane. Give or take 350 soldiers with automatic rifles, side arms, machine guns, and grenade launchers on board a 767 but we were safe because there were no fingernail clippers!
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 12:58:19 AM
At 2/13/2010 12:36:46 AM, NotArrogantJustRight wrote:
Then they allowed us to retrieve our weapons and board the plane. Give or take 350 soldiers with automatic rifles, side arms, machine guns, and grenade launchers on board a 767 but we were safe because there were no fingernail clippers!

ROFLMAO: