Jump to topic:

Thai Coup

Csareo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2014 5:51:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Alright, so I was late to hear the news, but this absolutely devastated me. The damn military took power again. After decades of Thai dictatorship and authoritarian rule, they're back in the hands of oppressive rule.

Not only was Thai one of American's biggest allies, but we were using it for almost all our operations in southern vietnam. There will be hell to pay if they try to nationalize our assets.

The NPOMC partially repealed the 2007 constitution, declared martial law and curfew nationwide, banned political gatherings, arrested and detained politicians and anti-coup activists, imposed Internet censorship and took control of the media.

I can't believe I heard about this so late. I knew they installed marshall law, but I can't believe they overthrew the monarch and parliament. This is absolutely wrong. America needs to find a way to keep our bases and foreign corporations intact.

Anyways, what do you think the international community will do about this? Believe me people, this was the worst news I heard this month.

Oh, and a shout out to Kc1999. I know he hated the military
http://www.edeb8.com...

Edeb8 unofficial champion of team debate bug finding

PM me for questions on campaign http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 1:21:19 PM
This makes me wonder if suttichart is ok. (http://www.debate.org...)

We had a lot of discussions about the Thai rebellion several months ago...he's since been silent on the forums, and I'm guessing these developments may have had a role in that.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 5:00:32 AM
At 5/23/2014 5:51:58 PM, Csareo wrote:
Alright, so I was late to hear the news, but this absolutely devastated me. The damn military took power again. After decades of Thai dictatorship and authoritarian rule, they're back in the hands of oppressive rule.

Not only was Thai one of American's biggest allies, but we were using it for almost all our operations in southern vietnam. There will be hell to pay if they try to nationalize our assets.

The NPOMC partially repealed the 2007 constitution, declared martial law and curfew nationwide, banned political gatherings, arrested and detained politicians and anti-coup activists, imposed Internet censorship and took control of the media.

I can't believe I heard about this so late. I knew they installed marshall law, but I can't believe they overthrew the monarch and parliament. This is absolutely wrong. America needs to find a way to keep our bases and foreign corporations intact.

Anyways, what do you think the international community will do about this? Believe me people, this was the worst news I heard this month.

No they didn't overthrown the parliament and definitely not overthrown the Monarch. The Parliament was already dissolved prior to the coup, the Red and the Frog (my nick name of the Nationalist mobs - their Thai abbr is #85;$11;$11;$26; - the two letters read Kop, which mean frog lol). They were all rounded up when the negotiation seem to be non-conclusive.

As for the media, I believe there haven't been any formal censorship in place right now (I am producing a radio program for the RTG prior to the coup, os if there is any regulation right now, I should have known). However it's definitely true that the Booty (Military Boot.. :D) had asked all the media for "cooperation" not to publish any sensitive material that could cause social division and not to criticize them right now - failure to do so will result in a summon by the Booty for a warning. So a kind of self-censorship requirement.

I am fine though, thanks you for your concern. Surprisingly even my radio program was still broadcast as normal under the Booty. What I am don't like though, is that the Booty seem to avoid all the inquiry about when will they resigned their power to an elected civilian authority.

The insisted that this is not a robbery, just a borrowing of power to keep thing secure in a deeply polarized politics of Thailand. However borrowing indefinitely sound like a robbery to me.

Oh and for your information. Thai coup had always been, historically, a strong allied of the US. In Cold War politics, the Booty coup when they felt like the civilian government are weak or turn Red toward China and its CPT allies. Things are very mush changed now a day but the Booty is one of the most conservative institutions in this country, so I guest they will just followed the historical pattern.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 2:42:06 AM
At 5/23/2014 5:51:58 PM, Csareo wrote:

What is this?

I support the coup.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink