Jump to topic:

Who Would Sit on the Iron Throne?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 11:27:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
**spoiler alert - this thread assumes you're familiar with Game of Thrones, so don't read if you don't want spoilers**

http://www.cnn.com...

CNN recently came out with a Game of Thrones/real life comparison. Here are the pairings:

Tywin Lannister - Dick Cheney
Petyr Baelish - Vladimir Putin
Tyrion Lannister - John Stewart (?)
Daenerys Targaryen - George W. Bush
Stannis Baratheon - Honey Badger (????)
Jon Snow - Al Gore
Arya Stark - Miley Cyrus (?)
Ned Stark - Jimmy Carter
Robert Baratheon - Bill Clinton
Cercei Lannister - Hillary Clinton
Robb Stark - Barack Obama

What do you think of these pairings?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 11:48:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
My own opinion:

Tywin Lannister - Dick Cheney
Good comparison. Maybe Ronald Reagan or Richard Nixon too, any GOP patriarch, really.

Petyr Baelish - Vladimir Putin
Good comparison.

Tyrion Lannister - John Stewart (?)
Maybe Chuck Hagel would have been a better choice. He's the red-headed stepchild of the GOP and would make sense given Cheney is Tywin.

Daenerys Targaryen - George W. Bush
I'd switch this one out with Cercei Lannister. Both lived in daddy's shadow, the younger was far less competent than the older.

Stannis Baratheon - Honey Badger (????)
This made me lose some respect for CNN. I'd equate Stannis to Japan sitting on their own rocky island with its own strong military traditions.

Jon Snow - Al Gore
Interesting.

Arya Stark - Miley Cyrus (?)
Questionable. I'd probably put in Julia Gillard here. Both are ridiculously feisty and effective in their own right, and aren't anywhere near to claiming the Iron Throne.

Ned Stark - Jimmy Carter
Interesting.

Robert Baratheon - Bill Clinton
Probably the best comparison on this list.

Cercei Lannister - Hillary Clinton
Switch out with Daenerys. Hillary is about to take over the Iron Throne, IMHO.

Robb Stark - Barack Obama
Interesting comparison. I suppose you can say that Obama's "betrayal" of Nobel Peace Prize ethics could be seen as a Walder Frey moment. A "Red Wedding" event would then be synonymous with an unraveling of global geopolitical order stemming from over-belligerence.

---

Some other observations

- I'd probably equate Varys to China...both are prima facie "peaceful allies", both are known for information "technology", and both are known to harbor somewhat secretive fancies for the Iron Throne, yet both are known to not be anywhere near top contenders in the near future. I would imagine this would cause too much controversy, linking China to a eunuch, lol, although even that fits in very well if you consider pre-communist or pre-Deng China as akin to a castration of sorts.

- Importantly, not a single Western European nation is represented in this particular Game of Thrones. Implications of impotence and irrelevance?

- The "GOP = Bad / Dems = Good" bias comes out pretty clearly, with Carter, Gore, and Obama all being Starks and of course Cheney being Tywin.

- Who would be Joffrey? Now that's an interesting question, and one not fit for print, lol. Saddam maybe?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?