Bring Snowden Home

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:19:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.bloombergview.com...

Here's one good reason for the U.S. to invite Edward Snowden back and offer him clemency: While he is still in exile, any action taken by the U.S. against foreign electronic spying, as in the recent case involving Chinese hackers, looks to the outside world like the cynical application of double standards.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:21:18 AM
Love Bloomberg opinion section. They have a good diversity as financial types tend to be conservative.

We have been loosing our "moral authority" for decades because our entire foreign policy has been built upon lies and deceit. Time to bring clarity and honesty back to the world.
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 5:16:03 PM
At 6/5/2014 4:30:35 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/3/2014 6:47:20 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Snowden is a hero.

Agreed.

Really?

Wow, we agree on something.

I think you're slowly turning into Khaos Mage.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 6:48:43 PM
At 6/5/2014 5:16:03 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 6/5/2014 4:30:35 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/3/2014 6:47:20 PM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Snowden is a hero.

Agreed.

Really?

Wow, we agree on something.

I'm not becoming a moderate, if that's what you're thinking.
In the past few months I've grown less radical yet at the same time I've grown more radical.
This statement may confuse you, but it makes sense to me.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:18:11 AM
At 6/3/2014 8:19:04 AM, slo1 wrote:

Here's one good reason for the U.S. to invite Edward Snowden back and offer him clemency: While he is still in exile, any action taken by the U.S. against foreign electronic spying, as in the recent case involving Chinese hackers, looks to the outside world like the cynical application of double standards.

All of this assumes Snowden wants to return to the US. What if he doesn't? After all, why would he, given the cynical perspective you have described Snowden to have?

As it is, what better way for Snowden to clear his name than to achieve exoneration in a court of law? Unless of course you do not trust our justice system either...

Giving him clemency would essentially set a precedent that anyone that works in the field of intelligence does not need to be sworn to silence. That would destroy the utility of that entire field.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:38:34 AM
At 6/7/2014 8:18:11 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

All of this assumes Snowden wants to return to the US. What if he doesn't? After all, why would he, given the cynical perspective you have described Snowden to have?

As it is, what better way for Snowden to clear his name than to achieve exoneration in a court of law? Unless of course you do not trust our justice system either...

Giving him clemency would essentially set a precedent that anyone that works in the field of intelligence does not need to be sworn to silence. That would destroy the utility of that entire field.

Huuuummmmmmm...... you sound like a secret government plant trying to coax him in to coming back by using psychology.

Anyone who believes he did the right thing will clearly not trust our justice system to recognize that.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:40:06 AM
At 6/7/2014 8:38:34 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/7/2014 8:18:11 AM, wrichcirw wrote:

Huuuummmmmmm...... you sound like a secret government plant trying to coax him in to coming back by using psychology.

Anyone who believes he did the right thing will clearly not trust our justice system to recognize that.

But our justice system has precedence for recognizing it...recall the Pentagon Papers and Daniel Ellesburg.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 10:19:57 AM
At 6/5/2014 5:16:03 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Don't worry.
I don't trust Snowden.

I find his selective revealing of government information troubling and suspect an ulterior motive.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 10:21:51 AM
At 6/5/2014 6:48:43 PM, Crescendo wrote:

I'm not becoming a moderate, if that's what you're thinking.
In the past few months I've grown less radical yet at the same time I've grown more radical.
This statement may confuse you, but it makes sense to me.

I'm a moderate?
Why is that?
My work here is, finally, done.