Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

EU Referendum

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 4:32:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
About ten days ago, news broke that the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) had won the British section of the 2014 elections to the European Parliament. UKIP openly advocates for Britain to withdraw from the European Union and has been accused by some of being racist and having inappropriate members.

I remain resolutely in favour of the UK's continued membership of the Union and, up until now, have been staunchly against the proposed referendum on the UK's proposed membership.

Now I am unsure. I don't want a referendum and don't particularly feel the need to reaffirm Britain's membership of the Union. I am starting to believe, however, that a referendum should be guaranteed now with enough time for the major parties (all of which theoretically advocate remaining in the Union) to co-ordinate a campaign which will demonstrate the benefits of the EU, and not letting the campaign be dictated by UKIP and other extreme groups.

To what extent is this a pragmatic change? Should one automatically oppose a referendum in which one would vote for the status quo?

I'm back (ish).