Jump to topic:

Non-Insulting Question for Liberals

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 8:03:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Let's just say that in the near future (in maybe ten years from now) a Conservative movement causes the state of California to successfully secede from the United States.
Let's just say that you and your family and friends live in California at the time that this happens.

Upon taking power in the "Conservative Republic of California" the Conservatives start initiating conservative reforms. For instance, they initiate "tax cuts for the wealthy," cuts on the state's welfare program, a ban on gay marriage (but not civil unions), a program to deport illegal immigrants, etc.

Here's my question: seeing that California would be heading in a direction that you don't like, would you:
A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

Please explain your answer.

P.S. In this fictional scenario Conservatives are somehow the majority in California.
P.P.S. in the scenario neither you nor your loved ones are on government aid, nor are you an illegal immigrant.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:25:54 AM
At 6/3/2014 8:03:38 PM, Crescendo wrote:
Let's just say that in the near future (in maybe ten years from now) a Conservative movement causes the state of California to successfully secede from the United States.
Let's just say that you and your family and friends live in California at the time that this happens.

Upon taking power in the "Conservative Republic of California" the Conservatives start initiating conservative reforms. For instance, they initiate "tax cuts for the wealthy," cuts on the state's welfare program, a ban on gay marriage (but not civil unions), a program to deport illegal immigrants, etc.

Here's my question: seeing that California would be heading in a direction that you don't like, would you:
A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

P.S. In this fictional scenario Conservatives are somehow the majority in California.
P.P.S. in the scenario neither you nor your loved ones are on government aid, nor are you an illegal immigrant.

"Conservative reforms" is kind of a contradiction, considering that conservative is by definition someone who have aversion to changes. I think the most appropriate word here would be"reactionary".
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 2:12:49 AM
It would depend heavily on whether I could afford to move, and whether or not I can find an acceptable job wherever I am going. A lot of people simply can't afford to move. It would also depend on individual weighing of the things a person likes about the place, which would be entirely subjective. This removes most of the potential for useful, meaningful answers for this question.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:27:59 AM
Pretty much same answer as this:

Conservatives, if you saw that the US was becoming more liberal and didn't like it would you move out of the country?

It is pretty rare to move from a geographical location due to politics because there are so many other practical considerations.

Besides, if I moved from Texas who would remind these social conservatives who complain that gay marriage will destroy us that they said the same thing about divorce 30 years ago.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 3:54:51 PM
At 6/4/2014 7:27:59 AM, slo1 wrote:
Pretty much same answer as this:

Conservatives, if you saw that the US was becoming more liberal and didn't like it would you move out of the country?

It is pretty rare to move from a geographical location due to politics because there are so many other practical considerations.

Besides, if I moved from Texas who would remind these social conservatives who complain that gay marriage will destroy us that they said the same thing about divorce 30 years ago.

This is different. If the U.S. grows Liberal, pretty much the only alternatives are either equally liberal or third world *expletive* holes. Other than Israel, perhaps, but that place is constantly bombarded by Palestinian missiles.
But if one US state becomes too conservative for your liking, there's plenty of other states you can move to.

P.S. As for divorce, it IS destroying us. It's just doing it slower. None of our destructive liberal policies would destroy America overnight.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 3:56:17 PM
At 6/4/2014 1:25:54 AM, joepbr wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

"Conservative reforms" is kind of a contradiction, considering that conservative is by definition someone who have aversion to changes. I think the most appropriate word here would be"reactionary".

On the contrary; it would require a lot of CHANGES to return America from its current Liberal direction.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:00:01 PM
At 6/4/2014 2:12:49 AM, drhead wrote:
It would depend heavily on whether I could afford to move, and whether or not I can find an acceptable job wherever I am going. A lot of people simply can't afford to move. It would also depend on individual weighing of the things a person likes about the place, which would be entirely subjective. This removes most of the potential for useful, meaningful answers for this question.

I'm sure it'd annoy the *expletive* out of most Liberals to live in a place where the minimum wage is below 15 dollars an hour and a six month waiting period is required for a divorce to be finalized. Probably enough to convince most of them to move out of California.
My View of the World:

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:02:47 PM

Ok.

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

California would never leave the union, because its economy would fall apart if it became a sovereign state. Even if it did, Californian Republicans aren't especially predisposed to do the kinds of things that you're talking about, and even if they were, they wouldn't because of the negative economic impacts they would have. But, that aside...

Of course I'd fvcking leave. If Californian Republicans were so voluminous that they had the electoral power to abrogate California's social safety net, turn back the clock on social progress and generally destroy everything good about the left coast, then I'd peace out -as I suspect a great percentage of others would too. California, then, would economically implode.
Tsar of DDO
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:03:55 PM
At 6/4/2014 4:02:47 PM, YYW wrote:

Ok.

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

California would never leave the union, because its economy would fall apart if it became a sovereign state. Even if it did, Californian Republicans aren't especially predisposed to do the kinds of things that you're talking about, and even if they were, they wouldn't because of the negative economic impacts they would have. But, that aside...

Of course I'd fvcking leave. If Californian Republicans were so voluminous that they had the electoral power to abrogate California's social safety net, turn back the clock on social progress and generally destroy everything good about the left coast, then I'd peace out -as I suspect a great percentage of others would too. California, then, would economically implode.

Thank you for the feedback.
My View of the World:

drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:16:36 PM
At 6/4/2014 4:00:01 PM, Crescendo wrote:

I'm sure it'd annoy the *expletive* out of most Liberals to live in a place where the minimum wage is below 15 dollars an hour and a six month waiting period is required for a divorce to be finalized. Probably enough to convince most of them to move out of California.

Still, it depends on the cost of living. If someone depended on a $15/hr minimum wage in order to afford their house, then they would be more tempted to move. People who are personally affected by whatever changes take place would likely be the only ones who move -- for example, I support gay marriage, but I don't have any plans to use it, therefore I don't see myself moving because of the fact that my state bans it.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:34:53 PM
At 6/4/2014 4:16:36 PM, drhead wrote:

Still, it depends on the cost of living. If someone depended on a $15/hr minimum wage in order to afford their house, then they would be more tempted to move. People who are personally affected by whatever changes take place would likely be the only ones who move -- for example, I support gay marriage, but I don't have any plans to use it, therefore I don't see myself moving because of the fact that my state bans it.

Do you live in California?
My View of the World:

joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:36:25 PM
At 6/4/2014 3:56:17 PM, Crescendo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

On the contrary; it would require a lot of CHANGES to return America from its current Liberal direction.

If you believe that, you are not a conservative, but a reactionary.

Conservative: doesn't want things to change (and if they have to change, it'd better be slowly and gradually)

Reactionary: want to bring things back to an idealistic past when "everything was better", and as soon as possible.
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:38:23 PM
At 6/4/2014 4:34:53 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/4/2014 4:16:36 PM, drhead wrote:

Do you live in California?

No, I live in South Carolina.
Wall of Fail

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 4:41:20 PM
At 6/4/2014 4:36:25 PM, joepbr wrote:
At 6/4/2014 3:56:17 PM, Crescendo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

If you believe that, you are not a conservative, but a reactionary.

Conservative: doesn't want things to change (and if they have to change, it'd better be slowly and gradually)

Reactionary: want to bring things back to an idealistic past when "everything was better", and as soon as possible.

I'll admit that things weren't perfect back then. For instance, lack of equal rights for blacks, the Native American inability to vote, lack of women's suffrage, and some other things aren't worth bringing back. Plus, I like modern technology as much as anyone.
So your claim that I think a few decades ago "everything was better" is baseless.
My View of the World:

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:04:58 PM

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

Of course I would leave California. Why wouldn't I leave from California? Some butthurt conservative extremists took over and seceded from the union. Heck, I'd rather go to Texas.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:32:02 PM

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

California's secession from the United States would be illegal, so I would pick up arms and fight the secessionists! I WOULD NOT get up and leave!
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:33:51 PM
Lots of blood would have to be spilled before the conservative secessionist could declare victory! LOTS and LOTS of blood!
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:34:59 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:32:02 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

California's secession from the United States would be illegal, so I would pick up arms and fight the secessionists! I WOULD NOT get up and leave!

Interesting. If you'll kindly tolerate me picking on on you a little, don't you believe that guns in the hands of civilians kill their owners and magically fire themselves when children are around?
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:36:35 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:33:51 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
Lots of blood would have to be spilled before the conservative secessionist could declare victory! LOTS and LOTS of blood!

This scenario doesn't get into the details of how the Conservatives won. Realistically they probably wouldn't win.
My View of the World:

Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:38:00 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:34:59 PM, Crescendo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

Interesting. If you'll kindly tolerate me picking on on you a little, don't you believe that guns in the hands of civilians kill their owners and magically fire themselves when children are around?

Crescendo, I believe in Second Amendment Rights. Should any party attempt to force California out of the Union through violence, I would gladly pick up arms and shoot them dead. I would hope it wouldn't come to that, but I would absolutely be willing to do it to prevent an illegal secession!
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:39:56 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:38:00 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

Crescendo, I believe in Second Amendment Rights. Should any party attempt to force California out of the Union through violence, I would gladly pick up arms and shoot them dead. I would hope it wouldn't come to that, but I would absolutely be willing to do it to prevent an illegal secession!

So what if you did not live in California? Would you go there to fight the secessionist? I'm not trying to be antagonistic here; I just find this an interesting conversation.
My View of the World:

Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:40:15 PM
War is a path I wouldn't want to take, but sometimes it's what required, like in this fictional scenario.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:45:16 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:39:56 PM, Crescendo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

So what if you did not live in California? Would you go there to fight the secessionist? I'm not trying to be antagonistic here; I just find this an interesting conversation.

Well, I'm not quite sure in that instance. But I would definitely support the federal government's use of the armed forces to prevent California from seceding.

However, since I do live in California, I would definitely engage in war to prevent the illegal secession from happening, particularly since I'm still fairly young and capable.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:46:50 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:45:16 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 6/4/2014 8:39:56 PM, Crescendo wrote:

A. Leave California?
B. Remain in California?

Well, I'm not quite sure in that instance. But I would definitely support the federal government's use of the armed forces to prevent California from seceding.

However, since I do live in California, I would definitely engage in war to prevent the illegal secession from happening, particularly since I'm still fairly young and capable.

I thought you were 35. And this scenario would take place at least five years in the future.
My View of the World:

Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:52:13 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:48:50 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
In five years I'll be 40. I'd still be able to use a gun at the age, so of course I would get involved.

How fit are you? How long could you run? How good would you be at hand to hand combat? Would you take up arms even if you knew that you were the only person trying to bring down this new government?
My View of the World:

Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 9:12:14 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:52:13 PM, Crescendo wrote:
At 6/4/2014 8:48:50 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
In five years I'll be 40. I'd still be able to use a gun at the age, so of course I would get involved.

How fit are you? How long could you run? How good would you be at hand to hand combat? Would you take up arms even if you knew that you were the only person trying to bring down this new government?

I doubt I would be the only person attempting to bring down the unlawful government. However, I'd like to believe it wouldn't only be me and like-minded individuals taking down the illegitimate government; federal military forces would definitely have to be involved to make the cause victorious.

But people like me would definitely give the fraudulent government a splitting headache.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 3:31:52 PM

And you think its a good thing to pay people to work ... so little that they cannot live off of it and need welfare to make ends meet?

http://www.forbes.com...

It would seem that the economics of Ford and Costco disagree. You get what you pay for. And when you pay people in a manner that clearly depicts that you don't give a rip about them .. surprisingly ... they don't give a rip back.

Anyone who is worth a crap ... goes to anyone paying more wages and you are left with what at the bottom of the wage scale? Right.

Its a liberal vs, conservative thing though ...
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 3:55:50 PM
At 6/6/2014 3:31:52 PM, neutral wrote:

And you think its a good thing to pay people to work ... so little that they cannot live off of it and need welfare to make ends meet?

http://www.forbes.com...

It would seem that the economics of Ford and Costco disagree. You get what you pay for. And when you pay people in a manner that clearly depicts that you don't give a rip about them .. surprisingly ... they don't give a rip back.

Anyone who is worth a crap ... goes to anyone paying more wages and you are left with what at the bottom of the wage scale? Right.

Its a liberal vs, conservative thing though ...

And I suppose you believe someone should make 15 dollars an hour for flipping burgers?
My View of the World:

neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 4:55:44 PM
At 6/6/2014 3:55:50 PM, Crescendo wrote:

And I suppose you believe someone should make 15 dollars an hour for flipping burgers?

And I suppose you thick someone should make hundreds of millions in profits for selling burgers that someone else flips for him?

Descent wages for ACTUAL work is what you find insulting, eh?

Better by far that they just be straight up welfare queens! Or perhaps just go to the work houses and die ... eh, Ebeneezer?

I mean the WORST things is having to wait six months for a divorce! Cause what conservatives want is the right to a whore, I mean a wife, in seconds when it please them?

Paying people for work ... shocking concept ... liberal horror at its finest.

Ford was WRONG I tell you! Paying guys to turn wrenches is stupid! Worthless! Costco has it wrong too! Which is why they are doing quite well why other, lower paying retailers are struggling?

So other restaurants pay more than McDonalds, but ... er ... we should treat people like slaves rather than human beings gosh darn it! Best to be able to derisive crap on a guy serving you food! True conservatism at its finest, eh?