Jump to topic:

How does this concept sound?

TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 1:40:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am for gay marriage but I'm against abortion. However I do not like the idea of women being forced to give birth to the baby. I thought, "what if there was a way the baby could be born without the mother going through pain?"

That's where I came up with this idea:

If a woman gets pregnant unintentionally, whether through unprotected sex or rape, she could go through the pregnancy until 9 months, then doctors could give her anesthetic to put her to sleep before delivering the baby via C section. That way, the baby could still live, and the mother won't have to go through the pain of labor she doesn't deserve. If the baby is premature, it will be put in an incubator.

I cannot be the only one who's thought of this.

Who is with me on this plan?
TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 1:40:45 PM
At 6/6/2014 1:40:00 PM, TheINFJPhilosopher wrote:
I am for gay marriage but I'm against abortion. However I do not like the idea of women being forced to give birth to the baby. I thought, "what if there was a way the baby could be born without the mother going through pain?"

If a woman gets pregnant unintentionally, whether through unprotected sex or rape, she could go through the pregnancy until 9 months, then doctors could give her anesthetic to put her to sleep before delivering the baby via C section. That way, the baby could still live, and the mother won't have to go through the pain of labor she doesn't deserve. If the baby is premature, it will be put in an incubator.

No, she does not keep the baby. It's given up for adoption.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:06:41 PM
Your knowledge of motherhood and the psychological effects on women it at best astronomically na"ve.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:41:04 PM
At 6/6/2014 9:06:41 PM, sadolite wrote:
Your knowledge of motherhood and the psychological effects on women it at best astronomically na"ve.

1. It's "naive."

2. I very much know what you accused me of not knowing.

Symptoms, then after you find out, what you have to do.

I am not wanting to force the mother to keep the baby.

How is anesthetics going to hurt her or the baby?

The mother would be asleep, and the baby will be nearly full grown by then. It would still live. The mother will not have to go through the pain.

I'm guessing I didn't explain well enough: I don't mean out her to sleep after she goes into labor. I mean estimate the time the baby will come, and then deliver it before then so she won't have to go through more pain than she had to. Her water will not break, she won't have any contractions- it's happened before!
TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:41:42 PM
At 6/6/2014 9:41:04 PM, TheINFJPhilosopher wrote:

1. It's "naive."

The mother would be asleep, and the baby will be nearly full grown by then. It would still live. The mother will not have to go through the pain.

I'm guessing I didn't explain well enough: I don't mean out her to sleep after she goes into labor. I mean estimate the time the baby will come, and then deliver it before then so she won't have to go through more pain than she had to. Her water will not break, she won't have any contractions- it's happened before!

Sorry. WILL be full grown by then. The baby will be
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:15:37 PM

1. What does this have to do about gay marriage?
2. There is nothing stopping the mother from giving up the child for adoption currently.
3. I don't see how this prevents the "pain of labor".
4. Putting the mother to sleep is very very dangerous to the baby.
My work here is, finally, done.
TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 11:45:33 PM
At 6/6/2014 10:15:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

1. What does this have to do about gay marriage?

Nothing. I just wanted to say how not all people that are against abortion are against gay marriage also.

2. There is nothing stopping the mother from giving up the child for adoption currently.

I know. I just wanted it to seem like I wasn't against women's rights.

3. I don't see how this prevents the "pain of labor".

When you are asleep, you feel nothing. Just like in surgeries.

4. Putting the mother to sleep is very very dangerous to the baby.

There are risks of ANYONE under anesthesia getting hurt.

We will have to be VERY careful, no doubt.

But if the baby is healthy, the chances of it getting disabilities from the anesthesia are small.

Mothers have been given anesthesia when in labor and the baby turned it just fine.
So have children under anesthesia. Why? We have very educated and precarious doctors.

It's a precaution we need to prepare for. But we shouldn't get too scared (unless if the baby is unhealthy) as it is uncommon.
Jjjohn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 12:18:21 PM

your goal seems to minimize discomfort to the female for a choice she is not making. I don't see your plan as viable because labor is not the only discomfort involved in pregnancy. Months and months of nausea often comes with pregnancy, as well as other large and small discomforts. There is a cost to the physical well-being of women giving birth. That's the way nature designed it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 7:40:32 PM
At 6/6/2014 9:41:04 PM, TheINFJPhilosopher wrote:

1. It's "naive."

Again you have no idea what it is for a woman to carry a child full term. You don't even have the remotest concept. The fact that you try to put it in political terms is the highest order of naivety. Just so you know I have two kids and have many friends who have kids and have watched them all grow up since their day of conception. I actually know how women act and think during pregnancy and how they think and act after giving birth. Do you? Give an example that only someone who has lived it would know.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2014 8:29:33 PM

Here's an even better idea which may be possible in a few decades:
An artificial womb. Consider it: you could also completely remove the discomfort of pregnancy and childbirth while allowing the babies to live. Afterwards the mother could choose to either raise the child or put it up for adoption.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 3:47:43 AM
Your idea completely misses the point of why we use the word "choice" when discussing abortion - its not just about the physical and mental labours women has to go through (the latter which you never addressed, by the way), its about giving women a choice whether or not they wish to be at all responsible for birthing a child, especially if that child comes from a traumatic rape or affects their well-being.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 7:58:59 PM
At 6/7/2014 8:29:33 PM, Crescendo wrote:

An artificial womb. Consider it: you could also completely remove the discomfort of pregnancy and childbirth while allowing the babies to live. Afterwards the mother could choose to either raise the child or put it up for adoption.

This is genius. Although I don't have the first clue on how to build it.
TheINFJPhilosopher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 5:05:54 PM
At 6/8/2014 7:58:59 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 6/7/2014 8:29:33 PM, Crescendo wrote:

This is genius. Although I don't have the first clue on how to build it.

Me neither. Maybe I will a few years from now.

But are you being sarcastic or serious on the plan being genius?