Jump to topic:

Eric Cantor loses primary

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 9:50:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Eric Cantor has recently lost his primary to tea party backed candidate Dave Brat. Cantor spent over 1 million on his campaign, 1.5 million still in the bank. Brat only was able to raise $200,000. Oh, and Brat is an economics professor running against a sociology professor from the same university. Professors for congress? If only more men like that ran for office...
http://www.foxnews.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 9:57:51 PM
I didnt see this coming at all
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:03:22 PM
At 6/10/2014 9:57:51 PM, thett3 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:05:02 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:03:22 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No, I genuinely had no idea. This is a huge upset and random upset of a prominent politician
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:10:51 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:05:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No, I genuinely had no idea. This is a huge upset and random upset of a prominent politician

I think its the first time a majority leader lost a primary. Ever.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:14:27 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:10:51 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

Did you see it coming? I heard hushed whispers about it being possible but I certainly didn't expect it to actually happen...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:16:47 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:14:27 PM, thett3 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

Did you see it coming? I heard hushed whispers about it being possible but I certainly didn't expect it to actually happen...

I wasn't following it, I was playing Hearts of Iron 3 lol
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:30:43 PM

Are you being sarcastic?

If you did you were the only one. This morning's polls had Cantor leading by 30+ points. Cantor wasn't even in Va. tonight because he assumed it was in the bag. I think Cantor's big mistake was gerrymandering out into Virginia countryside. That will certainly score you lots of Republicans, but the kind of Republicans who don't care much about Washington power or influence and probably object to any non-protestant representation. Those bible beaters always come to vote, but there's no guarantee they'll vote for status quo.

Let's hope this forces the Right overreact and run too far from center while Democrats present Obamacare and Immigration Reform as necessary corrections.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 10:59:49 PM
At 6/10/2014 10:30:43 PM, Oromagi wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

If you did you were the only one. This morning's polls had Cantor leading by 30+ points. Cantor wasn't even in Va. tonight because he assumed it was in the bag. I think Cantor's big mistake was gerrymandering out into Virginia countryside. That will certainly score you lots of Republicans, but the kind of Republicans who don't care much about Washington power or influence and probably object to any non-protestant representation. Those bible beaters always come to vote, but there's no guarantee they'll vote for status quo.

Let's hope this forces the Right overreact and run too far from center while Democrats present Obamacare and Immigration Reform as necessary corrections.

It was an open primary, liberals may have voted for the professor so that the Republicans would have lost the incumbent advantage. Independents may have also preferred the professor candidate. So yeah, open primaries kinda mess with it. Like how Santorum won Iowa in the 2012 primaries when he was only polled in at third before them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:06:47 PM

Are you being sarcastic?

No one saw it coming.
Tsar of DDO
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:27:20 PM

It was an open primary, liberals may have voted for the professor so that the Republicans would have lost the incumbent advantage. Independents may have also preferred the professor candidate.

Well, everything I know about it I've learned on the internet tonight. It seems the whole primary process for state candidates is relatively new for VA. My guess is that the vote was more anti-Cantor than pro-Brat because Brat ran on a single issue. I can't find any exit polls online, probably because nobody expected to be writing a story about Cantor tonight.

I see most pundits say the Speaker position is now Paul Ryan's or else up for grabs.

It's a cynical remark, but I wonder if the VA 7th voters know how many thousands of potential jobs and millions of pork dollars they just voted away.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:33:28 PM
At 6/10/2014 11:27:20 PM, Oromagi wrote:

It was an open primary, liberals may have voted for the professor so that the Republicans would have lost the incumbent advantage. Independents may have also preferred the professor candidate.

Well, everything I know about it I've learned on the internet tonight. It seems the whole primary process for state candidates is relatively new for VA. My guess is that the vote was more anti-Cantor than pro-Brat because Brat ran on a single issue. I can't find any exit polls online, probably because nobody expected to be writing a story about Cantor tonight.

I see most pundits say the Speaker position is now Paul Ryan's or else up for grabs.

It's a cynical remark, but I wonder if the VA 7th voters know how many thousands of potential jobs and millions of pork dollars they just voted away.

Brat ran on many issues. Brat is an economics professor, but he did press on immigration due to thats where he had the most traction. I heard him on Hannity a bit, and from what he said, he made speeches on every issue and made his case based upon tradition, free markets, and republican values (republican as the form of government, I don't think he meant the party).

Also, I would say Brat has a pro-Brat component to his win. Many famous people (i.e. Laura Ingram) voiced support for him, which may have swayed many undecided, apathetic, or otherwise right-leaning voters in an open primary.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:37:51 PM

Thinking about Paul Ryan, I looked up whether a sitting Speaker of the House has ever run for president. Looks like the answer is no.

Four former speakers have later run for president, all 19th century. Of those, only Polk has won the presidency.

So if Ryan is thinking about a run in '16 he probably must reject speaker, but a young, high profile Speaker might have serious cred a few years down the road.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:45:01 PM
I am no fan of Eric Cantor. I disapprove of his politics. But tonight's primary winner in his district is far worse!

If these are the people Conservatives want to put up in November, they should expect horrific, anguishing losses later this year!

There's no way Republicans will do well across the nation supporting these kinds of candidates!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:48:56 PM
At 6/10/2014 11:37:51 PM, Oromagi wrote:

Thinking about Paul Ryan, I looked up whether a sitting Speaker of the House has ever run for president. Looks like the answer is no.

Four former speakers have later run for president, all 19th century. Of those, only Polk has won the presidency.

So if Ryan is thinking about a run in '16 he probably must reject speaker, but a young, high profile Speaker might have serious cred a few years down the road.

people haven't done it in the past =/= can't be done.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 11:51:28 PM
At 6/10/2014 11:33:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Brat ran on many issues. Brat is an economics professor, but he did press on immigration due to thats where he had the most traction.

I think we can both be right about this. Of course Brat had to address a wide range of issues but any unknown candidate is branded by his advertising, which was overwhelmingly and effectively regarding immigration.

Many famous people (i.e. Laura Ingram) voiced support for him, which may have swayed many undecided, apathetic, or otherwise right-leaning voters in an open primary.

Yeah, every article mentions Ingraham and only her. But it sounds like the talk radio circuit had really played this match up in the last week, which has the potential for significant impact in conservative circles. Even a bad pollster should be able to detect a large undecided margin, but nobody saw it. I hope someone follows up on that question in Richmond tomorrow... "when did you decide to vote for Brat, etc"
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 12:02:55 AM

people haven't done it in the past =/= can't be done.

Of course, but could even a smart young candidate be an effective Speaker and an effective candidate? I doubt it. Speaker means constant Washington inside baseball. A Speaker is often forced to take sides on controversial issues even sometimes against his/her own judgement (Boehner on the govt. shutdown, for example). A candidate has to be the opposite of a Speaker- big ideas without specifics, appeals to the center, constant fund-raising, and constant travel for two years.

Isn't that the very disharmony that just killed Cantor?

I'll agree to never say never, but it would be a high-wire act worthy of the Flying Wallendas.
Oromagi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 12:21:26 AM
At 6/10/2014 11:45:01 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I am no fan of Eric Cantor. I disapprove of his politics. But tonight's primary winner in his district is far worse!

If these are the people Conservatives want to put up in November, they should expect horrific, anguishing losses later this year!

There's no way Republicans will do well across the nation supporting these kinds of candidates!

Much as I hope your sentiments prevail, I remain skeptical. Democrats need to gather up their little bundle of accomplishments and demonstrate some self-esteem. I'd really like to see Democrats push for Immigration Reform and Minimum Wage before everybody goes home to campaign. Even if they fail it will put everybody on the record before the election and inspire some enthusiasm in the ranks.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 1:27:20 AM
At 6/11/2014 12:21:26 AM, Oromagi wrote:

Much as I hope your sentiments prevail, I remain skeptical. Democrats need to gather up their little bundle of accomplishments and demonstrate some self-esteem. I'd really like to see Democrats push for Immigration Reform and Minimum Wage before everybody goes home to campaign. Even if they fail it will put everybody on the record before the election and inspire some enthusiasm in the ranks.

I agree. Democrats need to come out in favor of raising the minimum wage and pushing immigration reform (while simultaneously strengthening border security). The party also needs to firmly and publicly support the affordable care act, as something that has primarily benefited people, rather than run away from that topic.

I don't see how providing 12 million people who previously didn't have health insurance is a bad thing! Democrats need to get firmly behind the ACA and champion it across America.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 6:00:00 AM
The tea party was destroyed in the second GOP civil war, during the Florida campaign. These much be radical terrorists funded by the Democratic party.

Where do you think all the funding came from?
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 9:40:47 AM
At 6/11/2014 6:00:00 AM, ChosenWolff wrote:
The tea party was destroyed in the second GOP civil war, during the Florida campaign. These much be radical terrorists funded by the Democratic party.

Where do you think all the funding came from?

He only spend 122 thousand dollars and rose 200,000 dollars... so...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 9:42:20 AM
Why Cantor lost (opinion):

"The death of the Tea Party has been greatly exaggerated. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor lost his primary Tuesday night to David Brat, a man who was significantly outspent. Cantor spent $5 million to Brat's $122,000.

The media will play up Cantor's loss by claiming it was about immigration. They will be wrong, but it will be useful for the rest of us. Immigration reform is now DOA in the House of Representatives thanks to David Brat.

But Cantor really did not lose because of immigration alone. Immigration was the surface reason that galvanized the opposition to Cantor, but the opposition could not have been galvanized with this issue had Cantor been a better congressman these past few years.

He and his staff have repeatedly antagonized conservatives. One conservative recently told me that Cantor's staff were the "biggest bunch of a**holes on the Hill."

An establishment consultant who backed Cantor actually agreed with this assessment. That attitude moved with Cantor staffers to K-Street, the NRSC, and elsewhere generating ill will toward them and Cantor. Many of them were perceived to still be assisting Cantor in other capacities.

After Cantor's loss Tuesday night, I got a high volume of emails from excited conservatives, but also more than a handful of emails from those with establishment Republican leanings all expressing variations on "good riddance."

Cantor's constituent services moved more toward focusing on running the Republican House majority than his congressional district. K-Street, the den of Washington lobbyists, became his chief constituency.

In Virginia a couple of months ago, several residents of Cantor's district groused that they were going to support Brat because they did not think Cantor was doing his job as a Virginia congressman. Others no longer trusted him.

Cantor and his staff both lost the trust of conservatives and constituents. They broke promises, made bad deals, and left many feeling very, very betrayed.

Much of it was because of Cantor's hubris and the arrogance of his top staffers. He could not be touched and he could not be defeated. He knew it and they knew it.

He kept his attention off his district, constituents, and conservatives while he and his staff plotted to get the Speaker's chair.

Cantor lost his race because he was running for Speaker of the House of Representatives while his constituents wanted a congressman.

The Tea Party and conservatives capitalized on that with built up distrust over Cantor's other promises and made a convincing case Cantor could not be trusted on immigration either.

By trying to be both a Virginia congressman and a worthy successor to the Speaker in K-Street's eyes, Cantor made it easy for conservatives to mount an under the radar case against him." http://www.foxnews.com...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 9:46:49 AM
At 6/10/2014 11:51:28 PM, Oromagi wrote:
At 6/10/2014 11:33:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Brat ran on many issues. Brat is an economics professor, but he did press on immigration due to thats where he had the most traction.

I think we can both be right about this. Of course Brat had to address a wide range of issues but any unknown candidate is branded by his advertising, which was overwhelmingly and effectively regarding immigration.

Yes

Many famous people (i.e. Laura Ingram) voiced support for him, which may have swayed many undecided, apathetic, or otherwise right-leaning voters in an open primary.

Yeah, every article mentions Ingraham and only her. But it sounds like the talk radio circuit had really played this match up in the last week, which has the potential for significant impact in conservative circles. Even a bad pollster should be able to detect a large undecided margin, but nobody saw it. I hope someone follows up on that question in Richmond tomorrow... "when did you decide to vote for Brat, etc"

I think the open primary had a lot to do with it. Like how republicans register democrat in a close primary to make the more 'crazy' one win, and vice versa. In an open primary, you just walk in, which could easily skew the random samples of a poll as demographics can change if anyone can walk in.

Also, as two professors are running against each other, it should be a good race either way. Only if more professors were in Washington, lol.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2014 10:43:27 AM

Lol, it doesn't matter. His district has a Cook PVI of R10, and southern Democrats pretty much ruined their ability to pick up seats that Republican when they towed the Obama party line.

As for the Senate, look at the polling. Doesn't look good for you - the only three GOP seats; Kentucky, which McConnell is leading and Obama's coal policy won't help flip, Georgia, where the Dem candidate is now trailing despite a bloody GOP primary, and Mississippi, where both possible Republican nominees are leading handily and the Democrat is pretty much as right-wing on social issues (abortion, gay marriage, and gun control) as a Democrat can be. In contrasts Republicans only need to pick up six seats to gain a majority - they are going to pick up Montana, South Dakota, West Virginia, and have made Alaska, North Carolina, Louisiana, Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, and New Hampshire competitive at the least. That's not even counting the more difficult pickup opportunities Oregon and Minnesota (which suffer from Democrat incumbents polling in the 40s) and Virginia (where the Democrat, supposedly most popular politician in the state, is only around 50%).

I think you'll be very shocked when Republicans take back the senate and strengthen their house majority. This is the first re-election of the red-state Democratic senators that were elected in the 2008 wave election and it may well be their last.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2014 4:52:45 PM
At 6/11/2014 12:21:26 AM, Oromagi wrote:

^ dat was your 500th post :D