Jump to topic:

Best Political System

CJW2209
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 8:34:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am interested to find out about people's opinion on the best, most beneficial and most sustainable political system and why?

I would like to know the complete opinion of others, the advantages and disadvantages of the chosen political system, also examples of its successes or failures in the past as well as showing how these political systems and their policies would work in the real world on topics such as economics, education, international relations and how it would effect both societies and humanity as a whole.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:47:24 PM
At 6/17/2014 8:34:27 AM, CJW2209 wrote:
I am interested to find out about people's opinion on the best, most beneficial and most sustainable political system and why?

I would like to know the complete opinion of others, the advantages and disadvantages of the chosen political system, also examples of its successes or failures in the past as well as showing how these political systems and their policies would work in the real world on topics such as economics, education, international relations and how it would effect both societies and humanity as a whole.

Something resembling a technocracy coupled with a eugenics program. In addition, the society would be formed around a logical theology in which everyone shares a universal worldview.
EvilEye350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:14:37 PM
If you mean political as in government structure then I would prefer a republic. The people ARE the government. There wouldn't be a divide among the government and the citizens. A republic also prevents the shifting of the burden of blame as blaming the other would be blaming yourself.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:20:26 PM
At 6/17/2014 1:47:24 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Something resembling a technocracy coupled with a eugenics program. In addition, the society would be formed around a logical theology in which everyone shares a universal worldview.

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 3:30:36 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:20:26 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Eugenics need not be the dysgenic, illogical and violent vision of the Nazis.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:30:52 PM
At 6/22/2014 3:30:36 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

So what would it be?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:37:43 PM
At 6/22/2014 4:30:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:

So what would it be?

People would apply to have children, and would be granted permission on the basis of their genes and ability to rear them effectively. An end would be put to the irresponsible breeding practices that everyone seems to be so enamored of.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:45:04 PM
At 6/22/2014 4:37:43 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

So what would it be?

People would apply to have children, and would be granted permission on the basis of their genes and ability to rear them effectively. An end would be put to the irresponsible breeding practices that everyone seems to be so enamored of.

As you know I am a pro-family advocate, but that seems very... I don't know, forcing people to apply for children seems weird. You could create a good nuclear family system through culture rather than government force.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:50:50 PM
At 6/22/2014 4:45:04 PM, 16kadams wrote:

So what would it be?

As you know I am a pro-family advocate, but that seems very... I don't know, forcing people to apply for children seems weird. You could create a good nuclear family system through culture rather than government force.

People have no right to have chilren. Breeding inevitably affects and imposes restrictions on other people, and is therefore a privilege subject to regulation. Compassion alone dictates that children be born with as few deficiencies as possible.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 4:51:41 PM

So what would it be?

You could create a good nuclear family system through culture rather than government force.

Culture cannot survive the geometric proliferation of stupidity.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 5:34:53 PM

Mine
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 5:37:16 PM
At 6/22/2014 5:34:53 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Mine

ikr?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 5:42:19 PM

The true answer is that nearly any political system would be the most sustainable if ALL members of the society are in agreement of the political system and mature ("mature" meaning that they accept the consequences of their actions and choices). Communism works great when it is applied only to people that 100% support communism. Capitalism works great when it is used by those that are 100% capitalists.

The greatest reason for this is because when EVERYONE is in agreement, corruption is eliminated as well as political sabotage. People are also more willing to accept the hard times when it is in their own political ideology. A communist is far more willing to continue working hard when times are tough and they get less food and less clothes for their work (in a communist society) while a capitalist is more likely to sit and bitch and complain (when the same happens in a communist society). However, if you flip it around and put them in a capitalist society, and that capitalist worker is laid off from a standard boom-bust cycle, they are going to be more willing to accept it and try to work harder, while in that society, the communist is more likely going to bitch and complain.

We see this all the time already. Whatever political ideology is not in power, loves to cry about every little thing.

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2014 6:05:12 PM
Better control with local politics combined with confederational supra country politics. Slight meritocracy combined with a constitutional republic and a bit of direct democracy.

Possibly. I don't really know what I'm talking about though...
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:02:33 AM
At 6/22/2014 4:51:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

So what would it be?

You could create a good nuclear family system through culture rather than government force.

So lets say we try something like you say. You need permission for children. You take a test, for example. Say one of the questions said "will you spank your child". Many people would argue the answer should be yes, others would say no. So there is absolutely no way for this to work.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:12:44 AM
At 6/23/2014 10:02:33 AM, 16kadams wrote:

So what would it be?

So lets say we try something like you say. You need permission for children. You take a test, for example. Say one of the questions said "will you spank your child". Many people would argue the answer should be yes, others would say no. So there is absolutely no way for this to work.

<Eagerly awaits a reply to this>
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:40:45 AM
At 6/23/2014 10:02:33 AM, 16kadams wrote:

So what would it be?

By that logic, there is absolutely no way for politics to work (which is patently false). Indeed, most of the progress we have made in the last 100 years has been achieved through the legislative process. If it's decided that spanking is an acceptable punishment, then parents would be allowed to choose for themselves. If it's not, then they don't get to. Anyway, the evaluation would not just be a written test (parents could easily lie).
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 10:56:51 AM
In order to have children, people would need to prove the following:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
No congenital diseases or defects
A stable relationship

Although this is far from perfect, it is infinitely better than "let everyone breed with no restrictions yaaaaa". Anyone who isn't able to see how that is insane is simply not trying hard enough.
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 11:18:27 AM
At 6/23/2014 10:56:51 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

Although this is far from perfect, it is infinitely better than "let everyone breed with no restrictions yaaaaa". Anyone who isn't able to see how that is insane is simply not trying hard enough.

You would also allow people with congenital diseases to adopt or have a (sperm/egg/fertilized embryo) donated if they meet other conditions, right? And how would this be enforced? Would this allow for the human population to continue to sustain itself at a certain level?

I'm fairly certain that technologies exist to select a fertilized embryo that does not have a certain gene marker for implantation. This could allow the loosening of some of your restrictions.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 11:27:33 AM
At 6/23/2014 11:18:27 AM, drhead wrote:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

You would also allow people with congenital diseases to adopt or have a (sperm/egg/fertilized embryo) donated if they meet other conditions, right? And how would this be enforced? Would this allow for the human population to continue to sustain itself at a certain level?

I'm fairly certain that technologies exist to select a fertilized embryo that does not have a certain gene marker for implantation. This could allow the loosening of some of your restrictions.

Reasonable exceptions would be allowed, yes. And as society advanced, the eugenics program would only become more sophisticated.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 11:35:02 AM
At 6/23/2014 11:18:27 AM, drhead wrote:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

It would be enforced at a national level. All children would receive implants preventing them from reproducing. Once they prove that they meet the criteria above, it would be removed.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:06:25 PM

So what would it be?

I agree with this. It infringes far too much on basic human freedom and gives the government far too much control. Supporting a healthy family unit is much better done culturally than with government force.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:10:38 PM

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

The concept is utilitarianistically good, but do you not think that this imposes far much ofa restriction on freedom while giving the government unnessecary (not to mention too much) power?

Even with such restriction, breeding will happen illegally simply do to the sheer power of sexual desire. Would you impose punishment or even forced abortions on those who illegally procreate? And at that point the government has become a tyrant to work against the good of the people.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 1:13:09 PM
Anarcho-Communist Small Community Christian Theocracy

This would be a utopian political concept where all members of the community were morally perfect in regards to Christian teaching.
Nolite Timere
CJKAllstar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 2:12:26 PM
Capitalism - Greed = Perfection.

In all seriousness, Capitalism minus greed or add natural altruism fixes every issue with Capitalism I've ever been told about. Nothing is wrong with wanting goods for yourself, but wanting too much is the issue.

Capitalism on paper is almost flawless, but greed is what creates inequality, exploitation and also stops trickle-down from working. If people were ever so less greedy, then Capitalism.

In more detail, Laissez-faire Capitalism. I'm neo-liberal, but only because people are greedy. Remove that, what Laissez-faire Capitalism does is leave the government to focus on national interests and both fiscal and monetary policy will be so effective.

It is an exciting idea, but not possible. Ideally, if you included that system with a social system of liberal conservatism, you have my ideal world.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." - George Orwell
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 3:58:31 PM
At 6/23/2014 1:10:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

The concept is utilitarianistically good, but do you not think that this imposes far much ofa restriction on freedom while giving the government unnessecary (not to mention too much) power?

I'm sure my views of eugenics differ from Dylan's but I would say "not at all."

Even with such restriction, breeding will happen illegally simply do to the sheer power of sexual desire. Would you impose punishment or even forced abortions on those who illegally procreate? And at that point the government has become a tyrant to work against the good of the people.

There are a number ways to look at this. One of the most common would be that the child would be considered an illegal alien or some variation of that. Most would extend those implications to the parents (me, I would only apply them towards the parents). If you engage in a action that is a "F you" to the rules of society, then you forfeit the benefis of society.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2014 4:29:31 PM
At 6/23/2014 1:10:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

An IQ over 100
Decent career prospects
A stable relationship

Ultimately, I think an educated and intelligence citizenry would make tyranny impossible.

That is true of any law.