Jump to topic:

Mandatory DNA Profiling

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 4:51:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was originally opposed to this, but have since changed my mind. It seems there are a number of good arguments one can make in favor of DNA profiling:

1. Comprehensive database of suspect's DNA, would reduce crime as any DNA evidence is quickly matched to their sources
2. Solves many immigration issues, especially those who discard their passports. One swab test and it can be conclusively determined whether or not the person is a legit immigrant
3. Could provide additional security on issuing credit, legitimising passports, as well as family members

Of course the main arguments against this are:
1. Issues of privacy, confidentiality and data protection

I am sure there are many more factors to consider, I have just winged this post. Thoughts?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 12:15:21 PM
At 6/18/2014 4:51:16 AM, Envisage wrote:
I was originally opposed to this, but have since changed my mind. It seems there are a number of good arguments one can make in favor of DNA profiling:

1. Comprehensive database of suspect's DNA, would reduce crime as any DNA evidence is quickly matched to their sources
Or produces false positives.
2. Solves many immigration issues, especially those who discard their passports. One swab test and it can be conclusively determined whether or not the person is a legit immigrant
It seems no one cares currently, so why would this matter?
Plus, this assumes the system isn't hacked.
3. Could provide additional security on issuing credit, legitimising passports, as well as family members
So, private companies should have access to this as well?

There's also a fear of eugenics, profiling/descrimination, and whatnot.

I am sure there are many more factors to consider, I have just winged this post. Thoughts?
My work here is, finally, done.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2014 6:19:39 PM
At 6/18/2014 4:51:16 AM, Envisage wrote:

How about 'Who gave you the authority to do that to me?'