Jump to topic:

What has Obama done?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 8:33:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Or as Bill Maher would put it, What has the "chocolate Jesus" done?

I was just trying to think about what he has done and any predictions on what he is going to do soon?

He wants to close Gitmo? (kinda is)
He wants to get out of Iraq? (kinda is)
He wants to repeal don't ask, don't tell? (not yet)
He created an 18-member bipartisan panel to suggest steps to reduce the federal government's record debt and deficits? (yes)
Stem cells; removing research barriers? (yes)
Veterans; employment opportunities in the Federal Government. (yes)
Haiti; ordering selected reserve and certain individual ready reserve members of the U.S. Armed Forces to active duty to assist in earthquake relief efforts. (yes)

http://www.archives.gov...

What has he done in your eyes?

(I knew all of you wil come on and say something crazy like, Kill freedom, or Tripple the deficit, But i really want to know what you guys see hime doing and can he get this stuff done.)
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 9:34:00 AM
Well..

Obama's done quite a lot, at least a lot in my eyes, eyes which are used to watching a leader run away from Parliament and spend more time attacking the Opposition than actually getting work done.

He's made progress on Gitmo (never closed it down right away, but I didn't ever think he would be able to; but he has gotten those non-high value prisoners or the innocents out of there or dealt with); he's slowly moved on his financial reform plans; he's doing wonders in Afghanistan with the surge and the focus on reconstruction instead of blow-everything-to-hellism; he's made progress in relations with not only allies but Russia, Iran, and etc.; he's stuttering on healthcare reform, but it might be his administration might pull something off soon; he's disappointed me on the environmental front, but not to the extent that I have no hope left for it; and on.

I suppose overall, I'm more impressed with his foreign policy achievements than anything else, which is fitting, because those are the ones that affect me most as a Canadian. Plus I'm a foreign policy buff. :D

But, really, he's been slow on a lot of stuff, but I suspect he came into this way too naive. Its a learning process, and he is learning, and as he's learned he's been making better and more efficiently followed-up decisions. He's maybe not the best President ever in the history of the US, but I wouldn't say he's awful nor a "failure." He's probably going to be a pretty average president, unless he really kicks it into high gear.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 9:42:14 AM
At 2/20/2010 9:34:00 AM, Volkov wrote:
Well..

Obama's done quite a lot, at least a lot in my eyes, eyes which are used to watching a leader run away from Parliament and spend more time attacking the Opposition than actually getting work done.

Lol, now I'm not saying the oppositions trying to get along well, but it certainly seems as though that is what takes up quite a bit of Obama's time too.

He's made progress on Gitmo (never closed it down right away, but I didn't ever think he would be able to;

neither did he... no matter what he might have said.

but he has gotten those non-high value prisoners or the innocents out of there or dealt with);

And he is/tried to (for political reasons only) get the 9.11 terrorists tried as civilian criminals rather than war criminals.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 9:44:35 AM
So it would seem as if he has done a lot.
Maybe not what everyone wanted, but still.

He just seems like a coward to me. If you believe something than fight for it. It seems as if he backs down a lot.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 10:03:05 AM
At 2/20/2010 9:42:14 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Lol, now I'm not saying the oppositions trying to get along well, but it certainly seems as though that is what takes up quite a bit of Obama's time too.

There is a difference between an Opposition actually being a thorn in your side, which is something you need to deal with, and what my government does, which is attack an Opposition which is more than willing to bow down to its power.

neither did he... no matter what he might have said.

Really? That's just showboating then.

And he is/tried to (for political reasons only) get the 9.11 terrorists tried as civilian criminals rather than war criminals.

War criminals are tried in courts. Unless you're just talking about POWs and "enemy combatants."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 10:04:20 AM
At 2/20/2010 9:44:35 AM, comoncents wrote:
He just seems like a coward to me. If you believe something than fight for it. It seems as if he backs down a lot.

Politics is a game of compromise, comon. I think Obama could certainly be more forceful, but you do need to know when to back down, and try again later on. He might be the President, but he doesn't have unlimited powers, you know? There are too many other actors in Washington to permit that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:15:31 AM
At 2/20/2010 8:33:12 AM, comoncents wrote:
Or as Bill Maher would put it, What has the "chocolate Jesus" done?

I was just trying to think about what he has done and any predictions on what he is going to do soon?

He wants to close Gitmo? (kinda is)

I don't care about this one so I haven't been following it.

He wants to get out of Iraq? (kinda is)

Not really, he says but isn't doing.

He wants to repeal don't ask, don't tell? (not yet)

Don't care about this one either.

He created an 18-member bipartisan panel to suggest steps to reduce the federal government's record debt and deficits? (yes)

For all the good that did.

Stem cells; removing research barriers? (yes)

Happy about that.

Veterans; employment opportunities in the Federal Government. (yes)

While good, I think it is low priority compared to other things.

Haiti; ordering selected reserve and certain individual ready reserve members of the U.S. Armed Forces to active duty to assist in earthquake relief efforts. (yes)

I don't think this was a campaign promise, unless he knew back on 08 that Haiti was about to have an earthquake.

http://www.archives.gov...

What has he done in your eyes?

(I knew all of you wil come on and say something crazy like, Kill freedom, or Tripple the deficit, But i really want to know what you guys see hime doing and can he get this stuff done.)

What I have been most disappointed in is the Healthcare, and I know that it is mostly up to congress, and not the president. But he made promises.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:16:36 AM
Take that last post with a grain of salt. I thought we were talking specifically about campaign promises, not just things he has done.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 11:36:36 AM
Basically, he's the same as Bush. Foreign Policy and Economic Policy are pretty much the same. Bush liked Iraq more, Obama likes Afghanistan more. Bush taxed the rich a few percent less, Obama taxed the rich a few percent more. They both love to spend. They both love stimuluses. They both love corporate welfare. They both love regulations. The Republican Party and the Democratic Party are basically the same today, which is bit sad. The debates aren't over how the government should handle things, but over how much the government should handle things. Oh yeah, Obama is even more polarizing than Bush, which is one of Obama's successes, I guess.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:06:17 PM
Obama flew to Williamsburg, Virginia, and back, on our budget.
Obama flew to the Middle East and back, on our budget, many times.
Obama flew to Copenhagen and back, on our budget.
Obama flew to wherever it was that the Olympics site was going to be decided, and back, on our budget.
Obama flew to Massachusetts and back, on our budget.

Each flight costs several hundred thousand dollars. Brilliant.

Oh, yeah, and he's wasted our money on bailouts, stimulus, and whatnot.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:18:33 PM
At 2/20/2010 2:06:17 PM, mongeese wrote:
Obama flew to wherever it was that the Olympics site was going to be decided, and back, on our budget.

.... Was he supposed to take the train to Copenhagen?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:19:03 PM
At 2/20/2010 2:18:33 PM, Volkov wrote:

10/10
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:25:43 PM

Oh, yeah, and he's wasted our money on bailouts, stimulus, and whatnot.

That bugger also had a big mac on our budget. The scoundrel.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:27:18 PM
At 2/20/2010 2:25:51 PM, Mirza wrote:

we got NASA working on that.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:30:24 PM

No, he was supposed to have a teleconference. It would avoid us paying a tremendously large bill, and it also wouldn't put so much CO2 into the air that we're supposedly supposed to be against. Brilliant, Obama.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:33:00 PM
At 2/20/2010 2:30:24 PM, mongeese wrote:

No, he was supposed to have a teleconference. It would avoid us paying a tremendously large bill, and it also wouldn't put so much CO2 into the air that we're supposedly supposed to be against. Brilliant, Obama.

A teleconference wouldn't have the same effect for Obama. Don't be naive enough think just CO2 emissions were discussed there.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:33:13 PM

In a budget of trillions, tens of thousands is not "tremendously large." That is like someone with an anual income of $100,000 paying 1/10 of a penny for something.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:41:59 PM

.... Lol @ teleconference. You do of course realize that no matter what, an American team would have had to be sent to Copenhagen, because you simply cannot do the wheeling and dealing necessary over a telephone. So why is it so bad that Obama takes a plane ride that would have had to go to Copenhagen anyways?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 2:43:40 PM
At 2/20/2010 2:41:59 PM, Volkov wrote:

.... Lol @ teleconference. You do of course realize that no matter what, an American team would have had to be sent to Copenhagen, because you simply cannot do the wheeling and dealing necessary over a telephone. So why is it so bad that Obama takes a plane ride that would have had to go to Copenhagen anyways?

Because he doesn't like Obama and has to find fault in everything that Obama does.
PhreedomPhan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 6:59:33 PM
You want to know what Obama has done in my eyes? The same as Clinton and Bush and a long line of presidents before them - what he is told. I'm not talking about what he is told by the people. He does what he is told by the money powers. The great "battle" between the Reps and Dems is like the great "battle" between the "libs" and "cons" at the high levels. It is a media show.

I tried to tell people when Obama said he wanted change that his predecessors had stolen all our dollars and now he wants our change.

Most of the people here are young and haven't had the opportunity to experience many "changes" in administration. These often come after the people are totally fed up with those in office so they vote in those promising change. Do they get it? Of course not. They get a continuation of the same policies, often administered by the same bureaucrats that administered the programs of those voted out. Don't believe it? Check the number of retreads from Clinton and Bush in Obama's gang.

If, after you've all gone through this four or five times, you still can't see it, don't get the wax cleaned out of your ears. There may be nothing else in there.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2010 8:05:39 PM
To answer the resolutions question, I feel he has done more tan Bush ever did. Obama has done an excellent jo with healthcare, middleeast war, and has kept the snipers from shooting him.