Jump to topic:

Proposal for U.S. Election Reform

shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 3:13:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Here is a plan proposed by former Republican congressman Mike Lofgren to reform our broken election system and I argue is the best plan and will strengthen democracy in America:

1) Repeal the Supreme Court's Citizen's United decision.

2) Get all private money out of elections by creating federally funded campaigns.

3) Shorten the election season to about a month/six weeks.

4) Have public airwaves run ads for both candidates and both sides of an issue.

5) Reorganize the ballot system so legitimate third parties can compete in an election

6) Have non-partisan commissions draw our congressional districts to eliminate gerrymandering.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 4:40:52 PM
1) Absolutely agree, the Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission furthered the monetary necessity to even compete.

2) Yes... This is almost exactly the opposite of what is done now, but not a bad idea. How much funding though? This is also all taxpayer's money, and our government is already closing in on a 20 trillion dollar debt.

3) For Congress, sure. Presidency, no. They need to go to so many places, I think the current length is fine.

4) News corporations in this country are absolutely outrageous, they need to be reorganized entirely. Would be better if the media wouldn't portray candidates so inaccurately and negatively influence voters' opinions.

5) How?

6) Meh... Is this really that large of an issue, to my knowledge it's not. I'm not really familiar with district lines being a problem, but if they are, sure.
shaddamcorrinoIV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 4:45:56 PM
At 7/9/2014 4:40:52 PM, Praesentya wrote:

5) How?- It was proposed to make the required number of signatures less, not enough so anyone could be on the ballot, but make it so that instead of just having a duopoly of parties the voters can have a plethora of choices when both of the mainstream parties upset them.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 4:51:58 PM
5) How?- It was proposed to make the required number of signatures less, not enough so anyone could be on the ballot, but make it so that instead of just having a duopoly of parties the voters can have a plethora of choices when both of the mainstream parties upset them.

Ahhh, I understand now. I think the larger problem is that our elections are won through a simple majority, and that system propagates a two party system. Two party systems are less representative on the whole, but make it easier to win the majority.

I'm not entirely sure that lowering the number of signatures would solve the problem - as I see the real problem a majority based election.