Jump to topic:

Immigration Crisis

jesscracker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:34:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
With the immigration crisis occurring at the border of Mexico, is it necessary that President Obama come to the border to see the crisis himself?
Jessica
jesscracker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:38:42 PM
I should have probably mentioned, I live in the RGV near the border of Mexico and experience the effect of the crisis everyday. I don't find it fair that the President and several wealthy privileged men can sit around a table in Dallas, or Austin to make decisions that will impact my region, without ever coming here. The president claims he will not come to the border because he's not interested in a "photo op" which I find to be a weak cowardly excuse. The immigrants face extreme oppression in Mexico and Central America. It personally bothers me how the President seems to be acting so ignorant in regards to the crisis. There is a difference between hearing about a problem and watching footage of it, and actually experiencing it. Really curious to see where you stand on this issue. Any thoughts or comments?
Jessica
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 3:07:51 AM
I don't understand, would you rather him not go there to see the area?

This sounds really reminiscent of the knee jerk hate when George W. flew to New Orleans after Katrina. Give the guy a chance.
jesscracker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 1:13:16 PM
I would like him to come down here to realize how his decisions will actually affect the lives of all the victims here. I don't think it's fair for him to claim he doesn't want to visit the border because he thinks it's a "photo-op" nobody cares about him coming down just to get a picture, I feel he doesn't understand the situation, he was in Texas just yesterday and a flight from Austin to the border is very quick, I feel he's just ignoring the issue, but that's just my opinion.
Jessica
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 1:14:21 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:34:23 PM, jesscracker wrote:
With the immigration crisis occurring at the border of Mexico, is it necessary that President Obama come to the border to see the crisis himself?

Is it necessary? No. It is completely within reason to be fully briefed and knowledgeable to make a decision about the crisis without actually going there. We do live in the 21st Century, though showing up might show solidarity with the people of Texas in the midst of the crisis.

Also, the President is not the only person within the government who can do something about this. It is only Congress who can bring forth legislation that can perhaps successfully end this crisis, the President could only perhaps send troops to secure the border, though this too would likely involve Congressional approval.

Putting this in Obama's shoulders is much like everything else, a convenient way to shift blame and play a stupid game of politics while the issues go unresolved. There is more to our government than the President, more to the executive branch than the President, and ultimately we are the one who put them there. How about we accept some responsibility for the state of our country for once, and encourage our elected officials to resolve this in a bipartisan way? Or else, maybe it's time to shake things up in Congress.
KeithKnight13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:01:14 PM
At 7/9/2014 9:28:06 PM, Rightwing15 wrote:
Obama needs to step up to the plate and actually try to fix the problems

Oh yes thats the kind of detailed analysis and incite we could use. As a libertarian I'm curious what someeone on the right thinks. Please expand.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 4:08:41 PM

I'm not sure what you think he could do about it, this is more a Congressional issue than anything else. As someone else pointed out, showing up shows a more serious interest in the issue, but by no means is it necessary.

Given all the succession talk I've heard out of Texas lately, I'm not surprised President Obama hasn't taken into consideration everything the citizens of Texas want done...
TrueScotsman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 4:35:54 PM
At 7/10/2014 4:08:41 PM, Praesentya wrote:

I'm not sure what you think he could do about it, this is more a Congressional issue than anything else. As someone else pointed out, showing up shows a more serious interest in the issue, but by no means is it necessary.

Given all the succession talk I've heard out of Texas lately, I'm not surprised President Obama hasn't taken into consideration everything the citizens of Texas want done...

That's because the talk isn't credible in any way, just pointless political rhetoric from the extreme right.

The right will endlessly accuse the left no matter what, for instance Obama would have been criticized for something even if he did go to the border. There is no winning. And just the same, the left will end up accusing and blaming the right in turn. It's a never ending political circus that gets us nowhere and solves nothing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 4:57:41 PM

No.
Tsar of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 4:06:41 PM

Are you talking about the Central American kids coming across?
msebastian1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2014 4:17:15 PM
Yes. He is the face of our nation. I feel it accomplishes more internationally than domestically. Obama can do little, anymore, to change the opinions of Americans on either side of the immigration debate. By not going, I feel he sends a message to Mexico and Central America that he doesn't view this as a real crisis. In effect, saying that it will all sort itself out and we'll handle this. That will, in my opinion, do nothing to slow the flow of northern migration. We do need it to slow, but I won't fault any human for searching for a better way of life. Our government, however, is becoming more fiscally irresponsible by the minute, and there's no racism in math.
chass23RN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 7:24:12 PM
Im sorry but if we do not close our borders and stop this madness until they figure out a better way of managing this problem we are in BIG trouble. Yes, what human doesn't want to find a better way of life however these people coming here by the thousands are not only effecting our country but the future for our children, I can tell you we are already in a terrible mess and this is not the place for children to come, I am a foster parent who opens there home and takes care of unwanted children from America, We have over 400,000 US kids with no home and one of the solutions is to place these children in the foster care system. I'm not sure if they are just trying to sound like this would work but if we cant place our own into a healthy environment why would we be able to in this case. I get calls all the time for kids that i have to turn down. Placing these kids in institutions will be a horrible thing for them. Also it takes money to take care of human beings! We already have more on welfare than anywhere else in the world...I don't care what Obama and those in power do but they better do it quick. If anyone thinks letting all these people come here is the right thing to do then i challenge you to get your foster parent license, open your home to troubled children who are easy to love but really hard to care for and then try giving them a good life with the money the government gives them monthly to care for them........which in my state is getting less and less every year due to budget cuts. We need a real leader fast!!
chass23RN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2014 8:08:49 PM
At 7/22/2014 9:13:03 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Thanks for the reminder of the unwanted American children.

Its sad but true. I get reminded everytime i have to turn down children. There will be thousands this year that will turn 18 and told "good Luck". We need to take care of our own first!!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:51:12 AM
At 7/23/2014 8:08:49 PM, chass23RN wrote:

Its sad but true. I get reminded everytime i have to turn down children. There will be thousands this year that will turn 18 and told "good Luck". We need to take care of our own first!!

That is a line of BS. If everyone stopped being such money grubbers and bought a modest car or didn't outfit the church quite so grandiose, etc, there would be plenty of resource to take care of "our own" and then some.

We are a just nation and when we get refugees seeking asylum we make an attempt to validate their claim. We should do no different here.

The failure of taking care of our own has nothing to do with these kids showing up at our borders or whether we can send them through the process to validate whether they have imminent death threats upon them.

You have committed the categorization by nationality error.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 12:06:06 PM
Only in America can you commit a crime, and then hold someone else liable for your problems afterward as a result of that crime.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 12:07:48 PM
Also, sick and tired of "where is your heart?"

Millions are dying every day. America isn't the world police anymore, get over it.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 6:36:59 PM
At 7/24/2014 12:06:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Only in America can you commit a crime, and then hold someone else liable for your problems afterward as a result of that crime.

Let's make it clear hear, these children are not committing any crime. They are turning themselves over to border control asking for amnesty.
chass23RN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 7:32:02 PM
At 7/24/2014 9:51:12 AM, slo1 wrote:

That is a line of BS. If everyone stopped being such money grubbers and bought a modest car or didn't outfit the church quite so grandiose, etc, there would be plenty of resource to take care of "our own" and then some.

We are a just nation and when we get refugees seeking asylum we make an attempt to validate their claim. We should do no different here.

The failure of taking care of our own has nothing to do with these kids showing up at our borders or whether we can send them through the process to validate whether they have imminent death threats upon them.

If you think its a line of bull then let me give you the number to my foster parenting organization so you can be ready to do your part. After you have been in the system for awhile taking care of these kids then you will quickly realize its not those spending money taking from them but the lazy bums that expect the government to pay all there bills, buy their food and pay their medical bills that take from them. If we can't take care of American children we can not take care of others.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:27:03 AM
At 7/29/2014 7:32:02 PM, chass23RN wrote:
At 7/24/2014 9:51:12 AM, slo1 wrote:

If you think its a line of bull then let me give you the number to my foster parenting organization so you can be ready to do your part. After you have been in the system for awhile taking care of these kids then you will quickly realize its not those spending money taking from them but the lazy bums that expect the government to pay all there bills, buy their food and pay their medical bills that take from them. If we can't take care of American children we can not take care of others.

It is unfortunate that you don't understand that the problem of a lack of foster homes arises from the exact same sentiment , take care of "our own first". I'm sorry, but foster kids aren't mine, just like the Salvidorian children showing up at our borders are not yours.