Jump to topic:

Open Athens database (question)

dexterbeagle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 3:18:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was wondering whether anyone on DDO has access to Open Athens, the large academic database and would be willing to tell me how I can access that database. I am will be a graduate student this fall and my university has average access to many journals and databases but has been tightening its belt the last couple years. And after sending emails, letters, et cetera over the years I have no faith they will be purchasing access to Open Athens. So, if anyone has a friend, relative, or knows how I can access that academic database for free I would be very thankful for their guidance in that direction. The fact that I"ve been reduced to asking members of an internet debate forum for access to academic journals is desperate and either reveals something about me or the state of education in the United States. Probably both. Anyway, I figured this was a long-shot and have no expectation anyone will look at this forum post. It can"t hurt.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:51:40 PM
Well I'm just a hayseed with enough credit hours to be called an Associate, but sure, I'll bump this for ya. (Spittoon clunk)
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2014 9:59:20 PM
http://www.evidence.nhs.uk...

It looks like you have to be involved in the UK's National Health Service to have access to this. I'm not surprised you don't have access to it in the US. It does say members of the public can use it if they "walk in." Plane ticket to Heathrow?

"Healthcare students at universities which do not have an NHS Athens administrator can register for an NHS Athens account when on placement only."

Don't know what that means, but I'm not in that country, or the healthcare field.

Hope I'm some kind of small help?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.