Jump to topic:

Gun control

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 7:34:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am interested in a discussion about gun control. I am opposed to gun control in its current legislative incarnation.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:12:50 PM
At 7/25/2014 7:43:44 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Do you think government could grow to the point where it could have any effect on the unregulated guns criminals can get?

Any one who thinks you can legislate guns away from criminals should try legislating drugs away from criminals. But we've already tried that and it hasn't worked. I see no reason why it would work for guns either.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:29:27 PM
Given that the United States is closing in on a twenty trillion dollar deficit, I see no reason the federal government should engage in the 'war on guns' which will only rack up government spending.

It may not be the ethical decision, but it is the economical one.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 8:59:36 PM
At 7/25/2014 7:34:05 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I am interested in a discussion about gun control. I am opposed to gun control in its current legislative incarnation.

Me too. It doesn't go nearly far enough. Bloody NRA...
Tsar of DDO
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 8:21:29 AM
At 7/25/2014 8:59:36 PM, YYW wrote:

Me too. It doesn't go nearly far enough. Bloody NRA"

Nearly far enough being?. . . . . . . .
9spaceking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:01:31 AM

hmm...true that. Criminals can still easily obtain guns from the black market
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy

Reign of Terror is unjustified

Raise min. wage to $10.10
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:42:06 AM
At 7/25/2014 8:59:36 PM, YYW wrote:

Me too. It doesn't go nearly far enough. Bloody NRA...

Personally I disagree. Legislation preventing the possession and use of high capacity magazines and semi-automatic weapons is, in my opinion, a misguided Pathos driven circumvention of the real problem, pushed by constituents on the left who do not have a full grasp of the problem and just want something done.

The real problem is not in a legally owned sporting rifle. The real problem is illegally owned, illegally bought, and illegally imported handguns, they currently hold the highest death toll by a magnitude of more than ten.

I believe that step one of the solution lies in stricter enforcement of existing laws rather than the legislation of new ones.

I also believe that for the moment, we simply need to take new legislation off of the table. The left is smart enough to know that the right simply will not pass any new gun laws, unless they serve to relax restrictions. By continuing to try and pass new and unnecessary/unfruitful laws, the left is wasting valuable time and resources, while completely overpowering and overwhelming any discussion of the aforementioned real problem.

Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:47:40 AM
I believe that step one of the solution lies in stricter enforcement of existing laws rather than the legislation of new ones.

= more federal spending, so pretty much out of the question. But on the whole, I'd agree.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 11:52:23 AM
At 7/26/2014 11:47:40 AM, Praesentya wrote:

= more federal spending, so pretty much out of the question. But on the whole, I'd agree.

True, to a certain extent. But I feel like it is federal spending that we might be able to partially agree on. To the extreme "ban all gunz" left, at least they are "taking guns from someone", and to the extreme racist right, they are "taking guns from black people", so the idiots on the far ends of the wings should be able to agree on it. the more moderate ones are the question.

If this doesn't work, what do you think ought to be the first step?

Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 12:08:24 PM
True, to a certain extent. But I feel like it is federal spending that we might be able to partially agree on. To the extreme "ban all gunz" left, at least they are "taking guns from someone", and to the extreme racist right, they are "taking guns from black people", so the idiots on the far ends of the wings should be able to agree on it. the more moderate ones are the question.

Yes, the left extremists have provided a solution that is immensely costly and doesn't solve the problem, while the extreme right's solution is simply illogical and racist.

While the extremists on both sides are a minority in this country, they constitute a majority of the 'politically interested' America - so swinging their vote is generally pretty important. The moderates are usually more educated, and usually more reasonable; so when the extremes fall into place, so do the moderates. Though in the end, the argument always boils down to a question of how many resources should be allocated to a particular issue.

I agree that the issue is in large part due to illegal handgun trading, and would think more stringent restrictions and enforcement would go a long way. But, taking into account our country's growing deficit, do you really think a 'war on guns' is the most sensible economic venture right now? Is it better to just let this issue slide until the United States is more prepared to effectively resolve it?
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:10:16 PM
At 7/26/2014 12:08:24 PM, Praesentya wrote:

Yes, the left extremists have provided a solution that is immensely costly and doesn't solve the problem, while the extreme right's solution is simply illogical and racist.

While the extremists on both sides are a minority in this country, they constitute a majority of the 'politically interested' America - so swinging their vote is generally pretty important. The moderates are usually more educated, and usually more reasonable; so when the extremes fall into place, so do the moderates. Though in the end, the argument always boils down to a question of how many resources should be allocated to a particular issue.

I agree that the issue is in large part due to illegal handgun trading, and would think more stringent restrictions and enforcement would go a long way. But, taking into account our country's growing deficit, do you really think a 'war on guns' is the most sensible economic venture right now? Is it better to just let this issue slide until the United States is more prepared to effectively resolve it?

I can see your point, and i might agree there. Out of curiosity, what in your opinion is the single most pressing issue that the government needs to focus on resolving?

SemperVI
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:14:08 PM
Gun Control: Three steps for better gun control

1) Relax your breathing
2) Adjust your sight picture on the target
3) While exhaling, gently squeeze the trigger in a fluid motion.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 1:37:55 PM
I can see your point, and i might agree there. Out of curiosity, what in your opinion is the single most pressing issue that the government needs to focus on resolving?

This is tough to answer. I'll have to go with education reform, particularly K-12 education reform...

While this is mostly subjective, I believe that the American society has degenerated as a result of our wealth and relative security/isolation from global problems that other countries face (i.e. food scarcity, civil war, etc). Moreover, the largest factor contributing to our cultural degeneration is government's inability to adequately educate our youth.

As a direct result of a poorly educated society, the American people have been manipulated by the media in innumerable ways, but significantly when it comes to their political opinion. Most seriously, our political system has strayed from a meritocratic republic to a democratic republic, where the media - coupled with immense campaign financing - elect (or disqualify) officials based on irrelevant factors rather than electing (or disqualifying) officials based on merit.

As an example, Thomas jefferson spoke six languages... I don't think Sarah Palin has even seen a subtitled movie.

Better education means a smarter society, and a smarter society means a smarter government.

However, there are two problems with the above proposal. First, education is not a federal responsibility, it's a state responsibility. This could be easily remedied if Congress voted to federalize it, but we certainly couldn't do that or the uneducated far right would call 'communism' or some other term they hardly comprehend. And second, education is a fairly expensive commodity. Now, Congress could vote to poor money into Nuclear Fusion Research, make the United States energy independent, reduce the United States's contribution to global climate change, and sell our renewable energy to countries without our advanced technology for a massive profit... But we certainly couldn't make that happen because half of Congress rejects the scientific proof of global climate change.

Thoughts? What would you say our largest problem as a nation is?
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 3:23:57 PM
At 7/26/2014 1:14:08 PM, SemperVI wrote:
Gun Control: Three steps for better gun control

1) Relax your breathing
2) Adjust your sight picture on the target
3) While exhaling, gently squeeze the trigger in a fluid motion.

LOL. You and I speak the same language.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2014 9:04:20 PM
At 7/26/2014 1:37:55 PM, Praesentya wrote:

This is tough to answer. I'll have to go with education reform, particularly K-12 education reform...

While this is mostly subjective, I believe that the American society has degenerated as a result of our wealth and relative security/isolation from global problems that other countries face (i.e. food scarcity, civil war, etc). Moreover, the largest factor contributing to our cultural degeneration is government's inability to adequately educate our youth.

As a direct result of a poorly educated society, the American people have been manipulated by the media in innumerable ways, but significantly when it comes to their political opinion. Most seriously, our political system has strayed from a meritocratic republic to a democratic republic, where the media - coupled with immense campaign financing - elect (or disqualify) officials based on irrelevant factors rather than electing (or disqualifying) officials based on merit.

As an example, Thomas jefferson spoke six languages... I don't think Sarah Palin has even seen a subtitled movie.

Better education means a smarter society, and a smarter society means a smarter government.

However, there are two problems with the above proposal. First, education is not a federal responsibility, it's a state responsibility. This could be easily remedied if Congress voted to federalize it, but we certainly couldn't do that or the uneducated far right would call 'communism' or some other term they hardly comprehend.

You said Thomas Jefferson was educated right? What did he say about federal domain over state controlled affairs?

You imply conservative support of guns is due to a lack of education. I wonder, what is your education and experience on the subject of guns?

And second, education is a fairly expensive commodity. Now, Congress could vote to poor money into Nuclear Fusion Research, make the United States energy independent, reduce the United States's contribution to global climate change, and sell our renewable energy to countries without our advanced technology for a massive profit... But we certainly couldn't make that happen because half of Congress rejects the scientific proof of global climate change.

I also wonder how educated you are on the subject of energy.....Without the tech, you would have to store the energy somewhere, right? Have you looked much into the issues inherent in energy storage? Are you proposing that America change the world by selling re-charged batteries to everyone?

Thoughts? What would you say our largest problem as a nation is?

I think people that derogate perfect strangers for their political beliefs is a huge problem in this country. I also find it hilariously hypocritical to call another person "racist" in the same breathe used to demean them for being different. But, I would most certainly agree that tendencies like this are far more due to a lack of education than anything else.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 9:38:25 AM
Now that you brought up the subject of speaking the same language, do you think there will ever be a time where English is the legislated language of the country?

That's a huge burden on our school system.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 3:59:02 PM
At 7/25/2014 8:12:50 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
Do you think government could grow to the point where it could have any effect on the unregulated guns criminals can get?

Any one who thinks you can legislate guns away from criminals should try legislating drugs away from criminals. But we've already tried that and it hasn't worked. I see no reason why it would work for guns either.

The thing is, man, that it has worked in some places. You're a big f*cking man in town if you have a gun in this country. Ordinarily I would say that the market is too large not to be taken advantage of by a black market but as far as I'm aware the great majority of guns in your country have a legal source in your country.
JSNB16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 7:46:53 PM
I am for gun control. Only just to regulate it because, where I live, death by gun is extremely common. I just feel it should be harder for bad people or people with mental illnesses of any kind (PTSD to Psychopathy) to get guns. And honestly I want to own a gun some day I just would like to be able to go to school without worrying about getting shot.
I am a Proud American. (Has nothing to do with whatever I'm discussing)
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 11:01:16 AM
You said Thomas Jefferson was educated right? What did he say about federal domain over state controlled affairs?

What type of world shaped Thomas Jefferson's beliefs? Is that a comparable world to base our beliefs off of today? I'm not going to argue whether or not Thomas Jefferson would believe in federalizing education, because it simply isn't relevant to the education problem in this country.

You imply conservative support of guns is due to a lack of education. I wonder, what is your education and experience on the subject of guns?

I am opposed to the liberal version of gun control, and I am opposed to the unregulated distribution of the weaponry the conservatives would have. Not all conservative arguments against gun control derive from a lack of education, just as not all liberal arguments for gun control are based on ignorance, but their is certainly a lack of cooperation to address the underlying problem here - the illegal distribution of handguns.

I think you're making a connection between two arguments I made which have little to do with one another. I argued that gun control was misdirected, and that stricter legislation was more expensive than this country could afford, and then - separately - I pointed towards education as our biggest problem as a country.

I serve in Military Special Operations; I know how to use most weapons systems on the planet - not that this has much to do with my opinion on guns, but you did ask.

I also wonder how educated you are on the subject of energy.....Without the tech, you would have to store the energy somewhere, right? Have you looked much into the issues inherent in energy storage? Are you proposing that America change the world by selling re-charged batteries to everyone?

Energy storage grows more effective my the day, as far as I know. But that wasn't what I was suggesting. Nuclear Fusion Research is seriously underfunded, and probably the best shot at a long term, sustainable energy source. If the United States develops a reactor, the United States could develop reactors in India, Pakistan, Brazil, etc. that would sell energy to those countries. You'd still need a system to store energy, but not one more complex than the one now.

I have no formal education on this matter whatsoever, and I'm perfectly fine by that. It doesn't take a PhD in Climate Science to recognize global warming...
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 12:42:28 PM
At 7/27/2014 3:59:02 PM, Wocambs wrote:

The thing is, man, that it has worked in some places. You're a big f*cking man in town if you have a gun in this country. Ordinarily I would say that the market is too large not to be taken advantage of by a black market but as far as I'm aware the great majority of guns in your country have a legal source in your country.

They may have started out legally, but by some means, whether by theft, purchase or smuggling, they become illegal. Also look up Senator Leeland Yee, I believe was his name. He was a Senator in California arrested for aiding Philipino gun smugglers or something of that sort.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 1:46:34 PM
At 7/28/2014 12:42:28 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

They may have started out legally, but by some means, whether by theft, purchase or smuggling, they become illegal. Also look up Senator Leeland Yee, I believe was his name. He was a Senator in California arrested for aiding Philipino gun smugglers or something of that sort.

I like how when you want to give me an example of a criminal you identify a Senator haha. To be honest, you didn't need to link him to the gun smuggling to prove that...
chass23RN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 6:41:25 PM
Most criminals do not go thru what law abiding citizens do to get a gun so having more rules and wait time ect...will change little. I encourage everyone to educate themselves on how to properly own and use a gun. Instead of the government trying to make it hard to have one why don't they focus their attention on changing the culture of the people who commit the most gun crime. I live in wv where almost everyone has at least one gun and I have never been afraid. We not only have guns for protection but for hunting and for fun. My favorite gun to target practice with is a semi auto and I'm a girl!! People that have never shot a gun is missing out. I feel protected and have fun on the side.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:36:27 AM
At 7/29/2014 1:46:34 PM, Wocambs wrote:
At 7/28/2014 12:42:28 PM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:

I like how when you want to give me an example of a criminal you identify a Senator haha. To be honest, you didn't need to link him to the gun smuggling to prove that"

I know, I was just giving an example. And what I find hard to believe was that this guy was from California of all places.
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:38:27 AM
At 7/27/2014 7:46:53 PM, JSNB16 wrote:
I am for gun control. Only just to regulate it because, where I live, death by gun is extremely common. I just feel it should be harder for bad people or people with mental illnesses of any kind (PTSD to Psychopathy) to get guns. And honestly I want to own a gun some day I just would like to be able to go to school without worrying about getting shot.

This is literally impossible to guarantee. You can cry gun-free zone all you want, but since there's been what maybe 20 mass shootings at schools since 1990? Call me crazy, but I don't think they're working the way they were intended to.
jnedwards11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:36:49 PM
At 7/28/2014 11:01:16 AM, Praesentya wrote:

What type of world shaped Thomas Jefferson's beliefs?

Are you implying Thomas Jefferson's beliefs should be disregarded because he lived in different times?

Is that a comparable world to base our beliefs off of today?

In regard to giving over sovereign rights to a central authority? Absolutely!!!

I'm not going to argue whether or not Thomas Jefferson would believe in federalizing education, because it simply isn't relevant to the education problem in this country.

Your comments seem suspiciously similar to arguing....
Regardless, my question about Jefferson was not pertaining to any educational problem in this country, it was in reply to the very poor solution you offered to that problem and your absurd indictment of people that might disagree with you. If something like "standards of learning" or "Common Core" is representative of what I can expect out of Federal education control, then count me out and color me ignorant.

I am opposed to the liberal version of gun control, and I am opposed to the unregulated distribution of the weaponry the conservatives would have. Not all conservative arguments against gun control derive from a lack of education, just as not all liberal arguments for gun control are based on ignorance, but their is certainly a lack of cooperation to address the underlying problem here - the illegal distribution of handguns.

Perhaps there are some of us that feel the underlying problems are in the social issues that plague our society, rather than the accessibility to a simple tool/fundamental right.

I think you're making a connection between two arguments I made which have little to do with one another. I argued that gun control was misdirected, and that stricter legislation was more expensive than this country could afford, and then - separately - I pointed towards education as our biggest problem as a country.

Sir, you blatantly called the far right "uneducated" and labeled their ideas as "racist". You made all the connection there needs be. There are thousands, maybe millions of highly educated people in this country that have extremely far right views when it comes to guns. I do not take issue with your opinions on gun control, I take issue with your decrees about total strangers (like me) that disagree with you.

I serve in Military Special Operations; I know how to use most weapons systems on the planet - not that this has much to do with my opinion on guns, but you did ask.

Being educated on the subject of guns has everything to do with ones opinion of them. How could you form an accurate judgement of what should or should not be allowed if you don't know what you are talking about?

And since you are in Spec Ops, there is an excellent chance that you have been or will be under the direct command of a known, far-right conservative one day. I hope your insistence in their absolute ignorance and overt racism does not impair your ability to serve our country honorably under them.

Energy storage grows more effective my the day, as far as I know. But that wasn't what I was suggesting. Nuclear Fusion Research is seriously underfunded, and probably the best shot at a long term, sustainable energy source. If the United States develops a reactor, the United States could develop reactors in India, Pakistan, Brazil, etc. that would sell energy to those countries. You'd still need a system to store energy, but not one more complex than the one now.

So how exactly do we put nuclear reactors all over other countries without giving them the fusion technology needed to build and maintain them?

I have no formal education on this matter whatsoever, and I'm perfectly fine by that. It doesn't take a PhD in Climate Science to recognize global warming...

I would think it definitely does take one (and probably a few) to solve the worlds energy problems though, but I appreciate you taking a crack. Perhaps I'm just a skeptic ;)
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 11:41:34 PM
Gun control needs to be a privilege, not a right.; it's just like owning and driving cars. One can argue that to own and drive a vehicle for transportation is as essential to one's everyday functioning as to own a gun for self-protection. Both needs (transportation and self-protection) can be accomplished without either, yet both are greatly enhanced with them.
Privileges come with requirements - qualifications. That being said, I think it is important that we implement stricter gun laws to make sure that guns aren't in the hands of those that do not qualify. There should be rigorous testing that must be passed in order for an individual to qualify (to even begin using a gun) as well as various requirements enforced by law to enable an individual to continually possess a firearm.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 11:47:42 PM
At 7/30/2014 11:41:34 PM, ben2974 wrote:
Gun control needs to be a privilege, not a right.; it's just like owning and driving cars. One can argue that to own and drive a vehicle for transportation is as essential to one's everyday functioning as to own a gun for self-protection. Both needs (transportation and self-protection) can be accomplished without either, yet both are greatly enhanced with them.
Privileges come with requirements - qualifications. That being said, I think it is important that we implement stricter gun laws to make sure that guns aren't in the hands of those that do not qualify. There should be rigorous testing that must be passed in order for an individual to qualify (to even begin using a gun) as well as various requirements enforced by law to enable an individual to continually possess a firearm.

I'm actually not 100% sure on the privilege vs right idea, but lets just say this is an idea for people to think about?
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 9:33:48 AM
At 7/30/2014 11:47:42 PM, ben2974 wrote:

I'm actually not 100% sure on the privilege vs right idea, but lets just say this is an idea for people to think about?

Are you for same thing when it comes to chainsaws, cars and any sort of chemical you can buy from Wal-mart? 5 minutes on youtube and/or myth-busters and you can figure out how to kill a whole lot of people with just house-hold cleaning chemicals. Or you could just use gasoline. . . . . . . . .

You can't legislate behaviour in people.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 11:06:57 AM
At 7/31/2014 9:33:48 AM, Juris_Naturalis wrote:
At 7/30/2014 11:47:42 PM, ben2974 wrote:

Are you for same thing when it comes to chainsaws, cars and any sort of chemical you can buy from Wal-mart? 5 minutes on youtube and/or myth-busters and you can figure out how to kill a whole lot of people with just house-hold cleaning chemicals. Or you could just use gasoline. . . . . . . . .

You can't legislate behaviour in people.

The law of the road is followed by a good majority of the people. There are barriers to entry when it comes to cars and then more things to be able to continuously use a car. Having these requirements and these qualifications are necessary to reduce (not eradicate) all kinds of risk and to help regulate the transportation system, making it work smoothly and more efficient. You could say that there's a lot of "car control." I think that the same thing should be said for guns. There needs to be a lot of gun control to help reduce (not eradicate) the risks involved with guns.

You can run over a man with your car if you want, but the consequences will be dire. That's part of the point to regulation, or control. Apply this idea to all things you mention. So, go ahead: learn of all the ways to kill bystanders with the item of your choice. You'll know your consequences; and if you're any bit smart, you'd use a weapon that's less obvious and easier to use. So, cut the slippery slope BS with the chainsaw and the gasoline and whatnot.