Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dems and Repubs are so similar.

HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 2:04:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The republicans want to impose their morals and limit our freedoms (drug laws, prostitution, censorship, abortion, etc). The democrats want to impose their morals on the rest of us by impose their morals and limit our freedoms with forced charity (high taxation to pay for welfare, healthcare and other goodies they feel we are morally obligated to provide for our fellow man). It amazes me to see one group criticize the other without holding themselves to the same standard. It's like a rock fight in a glass house. These two groups have more in common than they'd like to admit.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 2:16:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Democrats pwn Republicans.

Democrats stand for more social freedoms. Whilst they do believe in economic restraints and bigger government involvement in the economy, normally the same amount of funds are used by republicans for defence.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 2:19:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/1/2010 2:16:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Democrats voted for the renewal of the PATRIOT Act. Democrats stand for more social freedoms.

Does not follow.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 3:45:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/1/2010 2:14:45 PM, Volkov wrote:
Yet you continue to ascribe yourself as a supporter of the Republican Party. Hypocrisy is great, isn't it?

He could be a Ron Paul supporter.
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 4:04:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You have a political philosophy.

Others have a philosophy that you critique.

Your hypocrisy astounds me.

That's pretty much equivalent to the comparison you drew between Republicans and Democrats.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 4:14:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
OP is right, but it's no coincidence. One hidden hand is controlling both sides and only give us the illusion that they are different. In the end, the same agenda continues over the ages whether it's a Democrat or Republican in office.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Discipulus
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 4:28:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They are similar indeed. Geo once had a hilarious quotation on his signature that went something along the lines of:
"I think I like what the puppet on the right is saying better than what the puppet on the left is saying. Oh, wait, there's a man under the counter controlling both puppets!"

Or something similar to that. I thought it was quite insightful at the time.
banker
Posts: 1,370
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 7:08:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Volkov as a lib your not able to comperhand one puting his contry before his party,so you condemn him as hypocrite..! The same logic libs used to support the bombing of a sudan madicine factory,only to cover up a clintons lewinsky offair,and at the same time fight against rescuing iraq people from mass murderer creating mass graves...! This logic could not comperhand ones secrificing party to save our nation..!
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:07:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:12:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/1/2010 7:08:00 PM, banker wrote:
Volkov as a lib your not able to comperhand one puting his contry before his party,so you condemn him as hypocrite..! The same logic libs used to support the bombing of a sudan madicine factory,only to cover up a clintons lewinsky offair,and at the same time fight against rescuing iraq people from mass murderer creating mass graves...! This logic could not comperhand ones secrificing party to save our nation..!

Learn how to spell or gtfo.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:17:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:07:31 PM, HandsOff wrote:
No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?

What do you want people to say? It's not by accident that Democrats and Republicans have a lot of similar policies; that's just what happens when you have a multi-party democracy with alternating government parties. Successful political parties go where the votes are, offering differences simply as "we can handle the economy better," or "we offer a new way to do this," or "we believe in doing this, our opponents don't," when in fact all they're offering is simply a slight variation on daily life, like say, legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana.

Welcome to democracy. The majority of people like generally how things are. Don't act all surprised when governing parties generally reflect what it is the public wants or will tolerate - there's a reason for it. If you don't like it, you have the chance to convince others of your opinion and form a consensus and change things - or you can simply get the f*ck out.
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:21:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:17:25 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/2/2010 9:07:31 PM, HandsOff wrote:
No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?

What do you want people to say? It's not by accident that Democrats and Republicans have a lot of similar policies; that's just what happens when you have a multi-party democracy with alternating government parties. Successful political parties go where the votes are, offering differences simply as "we can handle the economy better," or "we offer a new way to do this," or "we believe in doing this, our opponents don't," when in fact all they're offering is simply a slight variation on daily life, like say, legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana.

Welcome to democracy. The majority of people like generally how things are. Don't act all surprised when governing parties generally reflect what it is the public wants or will tolerate - there's a reason for it. If you don't like it, you have the chance to convince others of your opinion and form a consensus and change things - or you can simply get the f*ck out.

You could have simply said you agree with me instead of dancing around the subject to the extent you did.
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:24:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This deserves a repost cuz, again, it was not directly addressed: No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:25:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:21:19 PM, HandsOff wrote:
You could have simply said you agree with me instead of dancing around the subject to the extent you did.

I like going in depth.

But I still don't understand how you continue to place your allegiance to the GOP, yet attack them with the such veracity, unless this is just misplaced loyalty or hopeful advocacy?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:27:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:25:05 PM, Volkov wrote:
But I still don't understand how you continue to place your allegiance to the GOP, yet attack them with the such veracity, unless this is just misplaced loyalty or hopeful advocacy?

Haha, yeah I find that amusing. How are you going to be a Republican and then attack Republicans.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:28:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:26:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yea, a "libertarian" supporting the Republican party? How does that work?

Yeah, and I hope no more people bring up Ron Paul either. He knew that a 3rd party would get him nowhere.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:32:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/1/2010 2:04:26 PM, HandsOff wrote:
The republicans want to impose their morals and limit our freedoms (drug laws, prostitution, censorship, abortion, etc). The democrats want to impose their morals on the rest of us by impose their morals and limit our freedoms with forced charity (high taxation to pay for welfare, healthcare and other goodies they feel we are morally obligated to provide for our fellow man). It amazes me to see one group criticize the other without holding themselves to the same standard. It's like a rock fight in a glass house. These two groups have more in common than they'd like to admit.

I would agree that they have more in common than they did in the past.
Although you look at it from a myopic view you will tend to lose some people that do not see it through your prospective.
I am not saying your wrong; I am looking through the same scope in agreement.
But I can see how you will get push back.
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:34:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:28:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/2/2010 9:26:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yea, a "libertarian" supporting the Republican party? How does that work?

Yeah, and I hope no more people bring up Ron Paul either. He knew that a 3rd party would get him nowhere.

Still attacking me? Are their any debaters here? Post that question on another thread and I'll tell you all about my allegiances. Back to the post please.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:41:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:34:21 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Still attacking me? Are their any debaters here? Post that question on another thread and I'll tell you all about my allegiances. Back to the post please.

HandsOff, these are the forums - things rarely stay on track, here. If you wanted a straight debate, and not a general conversation, you shouldn't have posted this here.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:45:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:34:21 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 3/2/2010 9:28:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/2/2010 9:26:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yea, a "libertarian" supporting the Republican party? How does that work?

Yeah, and I hope no more people bring up Ron Paul either. He knew that a 3rd party would get him nowhere.

Still attacking me? Are their any debaters here? Post that question on another thread and I'll tell you all about my allegiances. Back to the post please.

I actually agreed with you initially if you read my first post.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 9:48:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
HandsOff, these are the forums - things rarely stay on track, here. If you wanted a straight debate, and not a general conversation, you shouldn't have posted this here.

Bull crap!
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:02:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:48:20 PM, HandsOff wrote:
HandsOff, these are the forums - things rarely stay on track, here. If you wanted a straight debate, and not a general conversation, you shouldn't have posted this here.

Bull crap!

It isn't, honest to God. These forums rarely stick to their original poster's intentions. I created a thread not long ago about the Ukraine's political situation, and it ended up talking about proxy wars between the US and USSR. The forums are more about general conversation stemming from whatever is being talked about at any given time. You can't control it.
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:09:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It isn't, honest to God. These forums rarely stick to their original poster's intentions. I created a thread not long ago about the Ukraine's political situation, and it ended up talking about proxy wars between the US and USSR. The forums are more about general conversation stemming from whatever is being talked about at any given time. You can't control it.

Maybe true, but unfortunate nonetheless. What's the point in discussing something if you can't make any progress on the matter?
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:13:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 10:09:10 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Maybe true, but unfortunate nonetheless. What's the point in discussing something if you can't make any progress on the matter?

Well, you can make progress, but it just takes constant work at steering the conversation. Essentially, you have to continually bring up the original post's ideas throughout the entire course of the thread. However, if you want to go tit-for-tat debate, actually set up the debate; its the best way to have a structured argument, though sadly only with one person at the time.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:15:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 9:24:06 PM, HandsOff wrote:
This deserves a repost cuz, again, it was not directly addressed: No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?

pssst- its not that insightful.

people have been saying that for ages. both sides wish to control people, its a matter of what sphere they enact the control.

in fact, i've even read theories that try to explain *why* this is the case, why each group choses the facets that they do. that might be an interesting discussion. this is something 16 year olds rant about in government class...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:19:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/2/2010 10:15:19 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/2/2010 9:24:06 PM, HandsOff wrote:
This deserves a repost cuz, again, it was not directly addressed: No one has put forth a worthy response to rebut what I said: Dems and Repubs are very similar in their attempts to control their fellow man and limit his freedoms by attempting to impose their morals on others. Can anyone deal with that comment without changing the subject or attacking me for making the comparison?

pssst- its not that insightful.

people have been saying that for ages. both sides wish to control people, its a matter of what sphere they enact the control.

in fact, i've even read theories that try to explain *why* this is the case, why each group choses the facets that they do. that might be an interesting discussion. this is something 16 year olds rant about in government class...

Bull. You are saying highschool teachers are talking to their students about how both parties are wrong in imposing their morals on one another, when they both have absolutely no right to do so? If so, every teacher in the U.S. would have to be a libertarian. That's crap.