Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Thanks a lot Obama!!!!!

Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 12:50:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare, from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.
My work here is, finally, done.
NathanDuclos
Posts: 51
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 5:29:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dear sir. . . I just looked at your income, your under 25000, which means you should be able to get health care through government exchange, for a min cost. i have spoken to three people who go to the wrong people and get the wrong answers. Unless your in a state where your govennor blocked the ability to get information. . .

Call the exchange set up for your state, if not then the national line.

You dont make enough to get charged anything . .
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 5:55:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 5:29:36 PM, NathanDuclos wrote:
Dear sir. . . I just looked at your income, your under 25000, which means you should be able to get health care through government exchange, for a min cost. i have spoken to three people who go to the wrong people and get the wrong answers. Unless your in a state where your govennor blocked the ability to get information. . .

Call the exchange set up for your state, if not then the national line.

You dont make enough to get charged anything . .

Good sir, thanks for spying on me ;)
Actually, my income is about $24K, my wife's, is also about $24K.
Further, if you read my post, you'd see that because I am eligible through my employer, I do not qualify for subsidies or tax credits. Unless this has changed in the last year, I do not qualify for them, and to my understanding, the exchanges are subsidized premiums.

Now, you may be correct that I may be able to get insurance on the exchange, but I am not sure.
See, when I did that last winter, I was put on Medicaid. However, it has been five months for me to hear back about my eligibility. In other words, I might have insurance, but I don't know if I do. But, don't worry, they still are billing me, even though, our income puts us too high ($32K) for Medicaid.

I don't appreciate you assuming I don't know whom I should talk to.
Guess what, the people who run MNSure, are unable to comment on the programs. In other words, I have no idea who to contact, even though my state is supposed to be compliant with the ACA.

Let me make this clear:
the people I need to talk to cannot even tell me if I still have insurance, as I am still waiting for a decision of eligibility. (since March 9th)
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:04:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 5:29:36 PM, NathanDuclos wrote:
https://auth.mnsure.org...
Do not create an account or sign up for health care coverage through MNsure if you are:
a)A current Medical Assistance (MA) enrollee.
Current enrollees will receive instructions in the coming months from the Minnesota Department of Human
Services on how to renew their coverage.
b)A current MinnesotaCare enrollee, unless specifically instructed to do so by the Minnesota Department of
Human Services.
c)A senior with Medicare coverage.


As far as I know, I qualify for B, since I still am billed (although I do not pay).
See my problem?
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:08:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.irs.gov...

If I am eligible for insurance through my employer, I do not get tax credits.
What is even better is if my wife is eligible, she does not get tax credits.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:24:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:08:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
http://www.irs.gov...

If I am eligible for insurance through my employer, I do not get tax credits.
What is even better is if my wife is eligible, she does not get tax credits.

I believe that the "eligibile for insurance" whammies only "count" if the insurance is considered "affordable"--that is, if it's <9.5% of income. Is that the case here?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:33:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 12:50:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare, from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.

That's why the changes that Obama ordered need to go through.

The law is not perfect, and it left employers way too much space to cut benefits.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:36:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:24:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:08:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
http://www.irs.gov...

If I am eligible for insurance through my employer, I do not get tax credits.
What is even better is if my wife is eligible, she does not get tax credits.

I believe that the "eligibile for insurance" whammies only "count" if the insurance is considered "affordable"--that is, if it's <9.5% of income. Is that the case here?

Funny story.....
That is what one person said....but the person before them said it was just a matter of whether I was eligible or not. Further, the third person said it has to meet some other criteria.

Permiums for me would have been about $160/month, and the affordability is irrelevant for the spouse when I read it last. That is 8% for me, and at that income. Does it include total income, or just the one job's? No consensus has been reached.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:37:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:33:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/30/2014 12:50:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare, from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.

That's why the changes that Obama ordered need to go through.
What changes are those, and why weren't they there in the first place?

The law is not perfect, and it left employers way too much space to cut benefits.
What are you talking about?
It was total premium, not our share.
The bill went up from $430 or so, to about $600, regardless of what my employer pays.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:37:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:33:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/30/2014 12:50:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare, from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.

That's why the changes that Obama ordered need to go through.
What changes are those, and why weren't they there in the first place?

It basically disincentives employers from cutting benefits, and clarifies implementation, among other things.

Obama made the changes by executive order.

The Republicans are suing Obama to prevent the executive order from being enforced, because they know that if they are then the ACA won't fail. By preventing Obama from changing the law's implementation, the ACA will fail and the GOP will be able to blame the White House for its failure. That will basically silence any talk of universal health care for the next two decades, which is what the GOP wants.

The Democrats are saying this is absurd, because Obama is acting within the scope of his executive authority -and they're right, but the Republicans don't give a sh!t about that because whether they win their BS lawsuit or not, they still gain political points with their base and make Obama look like an imperial president.

Basically, the Republicans want you to be sh!t out of luck because they value making Obama look bad more than doing what's in your best interest, while the Dems want to circumvent a congress that would never prevent the imminent harm, even if the constitutionality of doing so is somewhat arguable.

Politics suck, right?

The law is not perfect, and it left employers way too much space to cut benefits.
What are you talking about?
It was total premium, not our share.
The bill went up from $430 or so, to about $600, regardless of what my employer pays.

Don't buy through your employer. Buy through an exchange. Get the silver plan.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:53:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:37:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:33:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/30/2014 12:50:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare, from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.

That's why the changes that Obama ordered need to go through.
What changes are those, and why weren't they there in the first place?

It basically disincentives employers from cutting benefits, and clarifies implementation, among other things.
Care to elaborate with specifics?
Again, this isn't an issue with benefits, since the premium went up. So, my employer would be paying 45% more, too (assuming they kept the same rate of payment).

Obama made the changes by executive order.
So, it's his fault, isn't it? The stuff should have been there when they had super majority and shoved it through a la Patriot Act.
Sounds like more politics....blaming the R's when he could do something about it in the first place (or admit to short-sightedness)....just like the reverse would likely be true.

The Republicans are suing Obama to prevent the executive order from being enforced, because they know that if they are then the ACA won't fail. By preventing Obama from changing the law's implementation, the ACA will fail and the GOP will be able to blame the White House for its failure. That will basically silence any talk of universal health care for the next two decades, which is what the GOP wants.

The Democrats are saying this is absurd, because Obama is acting within the scope of his executive authority -and they're right, but the Republicans don't give a sh!t about that because whether they win their BS lawsuit or not, they still gain political points with their base and make Obama look like an imperial president.

This begs the question....why wasn't it in the bill the first time?

Basically, the Republicans want you to be sh!t out of luck because they value making Obama look bad more than doing what's in your best interest, while the Dems want to circumvent a congress that would never prevent the imminent harm, even if the constitutionality of doing so is somewhat arguable.
I knew I was getting screwed the whole time.
Either I'd be taxed more, pay more, or something, for a service I have no intention of using.
Just give me my insurance for $60/month that covers catastrophic losses, and I'll pay the doctor when I see him. None of this co-pay BS.

Politics suck, right?
Generally, yes.

The law is not perfect, and it left employers way too much space to cut benefits.
What are you talking about?
It was total premium, not our share.
The bill went up from $430 or so, to about $600, regardless of what my employer pays.

Don't buy through your employer. Buy through an exchange. Get the silver plan.
Silver plan would be at least $350/month (just looked it up).
And, again, I have no idea if that is the true cost or some estimate.

I remember comparing two plans last time, and saw zero differences in plans by the same provider, but different names, and one was $20 or so more per month.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 6:57:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
@Kahos

If the necessary measures to restrict businesses from changing coverage were included in the ACA as it was passed, it would not have passed because moderate democrats would have blocked it.

Go on the exchange website and do the information. This article, also, explains the differences between the plans:

http://www.forbes.com...

You will not be able to get a quote without actually going through the process on the exchange website.
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 7:08:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What does it say about a law that requires so much BS and complexity on the part of the person forced to abide by it or suffer fines for not being able to understand it or wade through the BS. The ACA is the biggest pile of crap legislation ever devised by the human mind.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,250
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 7:44:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Because it was far better to have your health money wasted on big Guvmint than Big Wallstreet.

Obama will never admit he has no idea how to allocate health resources.

He shoulda stuck with plan C and just gifted a bunch of "poor" people some money to buy healthcare and looked the other way when they buy booze instead. Much better politically than the ACA garbage,
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 8:09:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 7:44:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Because it was far better to have your health money wasted on big Guvmint than Big Wallstreet.

Obama will never admit he has no idea how to allocate health resources.

He shoulda stuck with plan C and just gifted a bunch of "poor" people some money to buy healthcare and looked the other way when they buy booze instead. Much better politically than the ACA garbage,

I completely agree
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 9:25:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM, YYW wrote:

Obama made the changes by executive order.

Out of curiosity, do you know WHICH changes he made by executive order? Like...is there a list from a reputable source?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 9:28:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 9:25:38 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM, YYW wrote:

Obama made the changes by executive order.

Out of curiosity, do you know WHICH changes he made by executive order? Like...is there a list from a reputable source?

I can actually get that answer for you, but it's going to take a lot of time. They are really dense, and I haven't read through them all. I'll see if I can find a source which covers it, though.

Most of what the Republicans say about the ACA is just flat out lies, though, and they're trying to trap Obama politically for acting in the country's best interest.

It's complete bullsh!t, and the GOP is disgracing themselves in a way that I have never seen before.
Tsar of DDO
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 9:31:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 9:28:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/31/2014 9:25:38 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM, YYW wrote:

Obama made the changes by executive order.

Out of curiosity, do you know WHICH changes he made by executive order? Like...is there a list from a reputable source?

I can actually get that answer for you, but it's going to take a lot of time. They are really dense, and I haven't read through them all. I'll see if I can find a source which covers it, though.

Most of what the Republicans say about the ACA is just flat out lies, though, and they're trying to trap Obama politically for acting in the country's best interest.

It's complete bullsh!t, and the GOP is disgracing themselves in a way that I have never seen before.

Now, now, that's not fair.

They've been disgracing themselves pretty regularly for the last...6 years?...or so.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
YYW
Posts: 36,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 9:35:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/31/2014 9:31:09 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/31/2014 9:28:31 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/31/2014 9:25:38 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 7/31/2014 6:43:11 PM, YYW wrote:

Obama made the changes by executive order.

Out of curiosity, do you know WHICH changes he made by executive order? Like...is there a list from a reputable source?

I can actually get that answer for you, but it's going to take a lot of time. They are really dense, and I haven't read through them all. I'll see if I can find a source which covers it, though.

Most of what the Republicans say about the ACA is just flat out lies, though, and they're trying to trap Obama politically for acting in the country's best interest.

It's complete bullsh!t, and the GOP is disgracing themselves in a way that I have never seen before.

Now, now, that's not fair.

lol

They've been disgracing themselves pretty regularly for the last...6 years?...or so.

Yeah, but this is a new low.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 10:56:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Update:
I tried to log onto the exchange today, but since I have an account, I should use that, right?
Don't remember my password, or my security questions, so I had to call customer support...

The number given was the main line, not the division I needed, and not knowing how to answer the question of if I have MNCare (i.e. Medicaid) since I am still being billed for it and haven't received info as to my elgibility, I tried an option that said I was under MNCare.

Phones are being serviced.
LOL

This is going to be a day long project, I fear....
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 2:14:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, does anyone know why the exchanges are so much cheaper?

Why was my employer's insurance $1200, yet, for the same people (maybe not the same coverage), the cost is up to $500 (platinum)?

None of this makes sense :/
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 2:54:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 2:14:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, does anyone know why the exchanges are so much cheaper?

Why was my employer's insurance $1200, yet, for the same people (maybe not the same coverage), the cost is up to $500 (platinum)?

None of this makes sense :/

I think that's a trend that's been noticed. I wager it's that there's a larger pool and actual competition--insurance companies are used to convincing employers to pick them, rather than employees, who have been left with a "take it or leave it" option for insurance until now.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 3:07:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 2:54:02 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/1/2014 2:14:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, does anyone know why the exchanges are so much cheaper?

Why was my employer's insurance $1200, yet, for the same people (maybe not the same coverage), the cost is up to $500 (platinum)?

None of this makes sense :/

I think that's a trend that's been noticed. I wager it's that there's a larger pool and actual competition--insurance companies are used to convincing employers to pick them, rather than employees, who have been left with a "take it or leave it" option for insurance until now.

Do you know if the insurance is better through the employer?
It's god awful trying to compare plans, and as I have said before (I think in this thread), I saw two different plans, with the same name (maybe not the same name, but similar, like 2-D vs. 2-DP), seemingly same coverage/deductible/limits, same company, different price.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 3:13:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 3:07:23 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/1/2014 2:54:02 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/1/2014 2:14:27 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, does anyone know why the exchanges are so much cheaper?

Why was my employer's insurance $1200, yet, for the same people (maybe not the same coverage), the cost is up to $500 (platinum)?

None of this makes sense :/

I think that's a trend that's been noticed. I wager it's that there's a larger pool and actual competition--insurance companies are used to convincing employers to pick them, rather than employees, who have been left with a "take it or leave it" option for insurance until now.

Do you know if the insurance is better through the employer?
It's god awful trying to compare plans, and as I have said before (I think in this thread), I saw two different plans, with the same name (maybe not the same name, but similar, like 2-D vs. 2-DP), seemingly same coverage/deductible/limits, same company, different price.

I mean, I'm not an insurance guy...I have to deal with insurance a bit, though, considering my gainful employment. It's my understanding that the big things to look at right now are the deductibles/out-of-pocket costs, which can differ between employer and exchange plans, and how the coverage network works. If it's a small network, you're limited in your provider choices, so I'd look at those things. Look at what's covered for basic care, since that's the thing you'll hopefully use the most (as opposed to its coverage of the big-ticket items, which is still important but hopefully doesn't even come up), and look at the network. If you've got docs you already like, might be worth giving them a call and confirming they're in that network...if they are, then who cares how small the network is, y'know?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 4:22:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife
Thanks a lot because Obama wrote it? What about romneycare?
. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
To bad. I really don't care about your personal finances, when 7 million people are better off financially.
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
Well, I take it you're extremely poor, but this is impossible. If you can't afford your insurance, you are guaranteed health credits in the act. I suspect BS, unless you're the exception to US federal law?
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
There are two possible solutions to your predicament......

1) Admit this is BS
or..
2) Sue the US government.

4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare
You recieve medicare? This is more BS.....

1) You aren't below the age of 13 with mental disabillities
2) You are not over 65 years in age

Do you think people don;t actually know the law?

from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
We already established that you are lying

5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
Premiums lowered for 90% of the population. Cry me a river, as everything you've said, including not already having insurance, are BS.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
This would be illegal if you're actually telling the truth. Premiums adjust to income. Which means you are lying, or there is a mistake in your finances. I suspect you are lying, because this is the fourth thing you said that doesn't match with US federal law.
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
That is pretty cheap, given my mothers side of the family had their premiums lower, and they are dirt poor. Paying more than 1200$.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
You are either lying or the exception to the rule. Premiums lowered for 90% of Americans, and I guarantee that the other 10% that raised were paying below the new set rates.
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.
Given that 3 out of every 4 republicans support the ACA, I disagree that this is the democrats doing. It kept passing because republicans were voting it in.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 4:26:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 4:22:18 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife
Thanks a lot because Obama wrote it? What about romneycare?
. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
To bad. I really don't care about your personal finances, when 7 million people are better off financially.
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
Well, I take it you're extremely poor, but this is impossible. If you can't afford your insurance, you are guaranteed health credits in the act. I suspect BS, unless you're the exception to US federal law?
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
There are two possible solutions to your predicament......

1) Admit this is BS
or..
2) Sue the US government.

4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare
You recieve medicare? This is more BS.....

1) You aren't below the age of 13 with mental disabillities
2) You are not over 65 years in age

Do you think people don;t actually know the law?

from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
We already established that you are lying

5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
Premiums lowered for 90% of the population. Cry me a river, as everything you've said, including not already having insurance, are BS.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
This would be illegal if you're actually telling the truth. Premiums adjust to income. Which means you are lying, or there is a mistake in your finances. I suspect you are lying, because this is the fourth thing you said that doesn't match with US federal law.
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
That is pretty cheap, given my mothers side of the family had their premiums lower, and they are dirt poor. Paying more than 1200$.
How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
You are either lying or the exception to the rule. Premiums lowered for 90% of Americans, and I guarantee that the other 10% that raised were paying below the new set rates.
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.
Given that 3 out of every 4 republicans support the ACA, I disagree that this is the democrats doing. It kept passing because republicans were voting it in.

A bit harsh, don't you think?

I have faith that even if he is wrong about some of these points (and I'm not entirely sure you're correct on the points you make, though it may be merely an issue with how you've phrased it), he's not lying.

Khaos has been on the site for rather awhile and has, to my experience, always been honest (outside of mafia where he's always lying, even when he's telling the truth). I mean, we disagree on some stuff, some of it major, and therefore of course he's wrong on those things (because he disagrees with me, amirite?), but I think making the leap to accusing him of dishonesty is a bit much, given his track record.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 4:37:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yu evul reepoopleecans Obamuhcair didint werk so itt musbe yor falt chekmait Cunservituvvs!!!!!!!!!!!
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
ChosenWolff
Posts: 3,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 4:38:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 4:26:33 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
I have faith that even if he is wrong about some of these points (and I'm not entirely sure you're correct on the points you make, though it may be merely an issue with how you've phrased it), he's not lying.
I have read the bill. The only point I will concede is the tax credit through employers, because I double checked that point. He has an income of 24,000$, in which the maximum average premiums are at 200$. The Insurance companies can't legally make him pay more, whereas before the average premium for lower bracket citizens was, believe it or not, 300-500$. As I said, cry me a river. At 24,000$ you can afford 180$ for life insurance, when people with incomes of 15,000$ used to have to pay 400$. His complaints are completely out of place, and entirely out of context.

Although i have conceded that he didn't lie about my credit accusation. Yet the complaint is still out of place for two reasons.......

1) He isn't forced to use his employers 800$ insurance
2) He wouldn't be eligible for tax credits even if he bought his own
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 4:41:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/1/2014 4:22:18 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
So, due to personal reasons, I cannot afford health insurance from my work for me or my wife
Thanks a lot because Obama wrote it? What about romneycare?
I don't like either, but one is state and one is federal, so....yeah, I'm mad at the one that affects me.
. Under the ACA, this means:
1. I am actually being paid less than other people I work with, since I lose the benefit
To bad. I really don't care about your personal finances, when 7 million people are better off financially.
A: You can't know that
B: This actually has nothing to do with the ACA, but how insurance works currently
2. I do not qualify for tax credits
Well, I take it you're extremely poor, but this is impossible. If you can't afford your insurance, you are guaranteed health credits in the act. I suspect BS, unless you're the exception to US federal law?
If you are eligible for insurance, you are ineligible for tax credits. Read the law, or this thread, where I site the source from the IRS.
3. My wife does not qualify for tax credits.
There are two possible solutions to your predicament......

1) Admit this is BS
or..
2) Sue the US government.
For what? The tax credits are null, because she is eligible for insurance through me.
Before the ACA, as a business owner, the health care of the business owner cannot be deducted as a business expense if the spouse is eligible under the non-business owner's insurance.

I'm not surprised you don't know the law.

4. I am unsure, but I think this also means I cannot use the exchanges (I am still waiting for an eligibility decision on my Medicare
You recieve medicare? This is more BS.....
Medicaid. Typo, which should be evident.
And I don't receive it, but I am billed for it, which is why I am unclear what I am supposed to do, since my income is now over the limit, plus the fact my waiting period is over at my job, both reasons why I qualified when I did.

1) You aren't below the age of 13 with mental disabillities
2) You are not over 65 years in age

Do you think people don;t actually know the law?
You don't.

from March 9th....but, don't worry, I still receive monthly bills for a program I do not qualify for)
We already established that you are lying
No, readdress with the knowledge this is medicaid....or whatever MN care is.

5. In April, I will have to pay the greater of 1% of my income, or $180. Next year will be higher, and I still don't have insurance.

Now, thanks to the powers that be, healthcare is even less affordable for me, since my insurance rates for renewal (group policy for my company) increased 45%.
Premiums lowered for 90% of the population. Cry me a river, as everything you've said, including not already having insurance, are BS.
I doubt this is true, since the ACA only affected about 30% of the population.
I don't have insurance. Learn to read, and think.
I will be taxed for not having it.
HR is shopping around, but seriously, 45% increase?
This would be illegal if you're actually telling the truth. Premiums adjust to income. Which means you are lying, or there is a mistake in your finances. I suspect you are lying, because this is the fourth thing you said that doesn't match with US federal law.

Ummm, no it isn't, since this isn't on the exchange.
It is a group rate that my employer pays, which is not affected by income in the least.

And, if I am wrong, then HR is lying in the memo they sent out. Telling us to go to a website and type in information, while they shop around.
The insurance I was forced to get from my employer would have been $870 for me and my wife alone, of which employer paid 50% (65 for me, 35 for her). That means that insurance for two adults is over $1200.
That is pretty cheap, given my mothers side of the family had their premiums lower, and they are dirt poor. Paying more than 1200$.
What does income have to do with anything?

How is that affordable, which is what this program was designed for?
You are either lying or the exception to the rule. Premiums lowered for 90% of Americans, and I guarantee that the other 10% that raised were paying below the new set rates.
I think you don't know what you are talking about.
The exchanges are not the only places to get insurance, and it is not where "large" employers get it.
Anyone have any idea why, last I checked, I could get insurance for about $250/month for me and her on the market, but not through my company? It was hard to decipher true cost, since there was jargon about tax credits and subsidies, of which I don't qualify for, because I am eligible for insurance from my employer, and so is my wife.

This whole law pisses me off, because it reinforces the stranglehold of the employer on the workers, which is something I thought Dems were supposed to fight against.
Given that 3 out of every 4 republicans support the ACA, I disagree that this is the democrats doing. It kept passing because republicans were voting it in.
Kept passing?
I believe it passed only once, in a wholly partisan manner.

If you are going to continue to call me a liar, then post the relevant sections of the law, otherwise, fvck off.
Actually, just fvck off. I already know your comprehension skills a la that Bill Maher video.
My work here is, finally, done.