Jump to topic:

The effect of celebrity endorsement

freeheadfeathers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 11:34:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The UK government's "No" to Scottish Independence campaign today sent a large list of celebrity signatures who back their campaign, largely comprising of English people (who, by the way, cannot vote in the upcoming independence referendum).

There were no arguments made by any of these celebrities (in the letter) in relation to the factors and variables which concern the referendum and the future of Scotland, merely just a list of their names and a general plead for Scotland to "stay". None of the people on this list are experts in the subject and may not even be well informed at all with names such as Bruce Forsyth and Olympic diver Tom Daley appearing.

I would suggest that this open letter acted ONLY as a political tool from the "No" campaign to attempt to influence and sway the final crucial undecided percentage of people (myself included) who will effectively determine the outcome of the referendum in September. I do not recognise a problem with these celebrities having opinions, I recognise a problem with the pedestal on which their opinions are placed (because of their status) and I have a problem with their opinions collectively being put into a political gun and aimed at the voters.

To what extent do celebrity endorsements affect politics? Do these kind of tactics really work or are they transparent to the public eye?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2014 3:29:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2014 11:34:40 AM, freeheadfeathers wrote:
The UK government's "No" to Scottish Independence campaign today sent a large list of celebrity signatures who back their campaign, largely comprising of English people (who, by the way, cannot vote in the upcoming independence referendum).

There were no arguments made by any of these celebrities (in the letter) in relation to the factors and variables which concern the referendum and the future of Scotland, merely just a list of their names and a general plead for Scotland to "stay". None of the people on this list are experts in the subject and may not even be well informed at all with names such as Bruce Forsyth and Olympic diver Tom Daley appearing.

I would suggest that this open letter acted ONLY as a political tool from the "No" campaign to attempt to influence and sway the final crucial undecided percentage of people (myself included) who will effectively determine the outcome of the referendum in September. I do not recognise a problem with these celebrities having opinions, I recognise a problem with the pedestal on which their opinions are placed (because of their status) and I have a problem with their opinions collectively being put into a political gun and aimed at the voters.

To what extent do celebrity endorsements affect politics? Do these kind of tactics really work or are they transparent to the public eye?

I'd say they work as well as any advertising does.
Or rather, it is likely to sway only the people who would be swayed by advertising of any sort.
My work here is, finally, done.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 2:07:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/7/2014 11:34:40 AM, freeheadfeathers wrote:

Welcome to the American culture and the results of humanity interfering with natural selection. Instead of taking the time to research something, we instead listen to what the ignorant celebrity says because we like their movies. It doesn't matter that the celebrity has never so much as read the single paragraph of facts on what they are promoting, or that they are simply money / fame wh0res who are getting paid to read a teleprompter. It only matters that they make movies.

And yes, they definitely work...too well.