Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Legalizing "Assisted Suicide" for Criminals?

SenatorZhen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 3:34:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello debate.org users,

I recently wrote a bill for Congressional Debate saying that we should legalize voluntary "assisted suicide" via firing squad for criminals sentenced to life in prison or death row. I was just wondering what you thought about the idea.

I can see 3 main compelling arguments:
- Given current prison population, this could potentially decrease the prison population since there are currently about 60,000 on death row and therefore save us tax money (~$30K a year to house inmate in max security prison)

- Moral Argument: Stanford University's Encyclopedia of Philosophy: autonomy presupposes competence (basically people have the right to make decisions concerning their lives)

- Firing squad more efficient: lethal injection is known to cause botched executions that can bring tremendous pain and possible paralysis, and could actually be more painful than the firing squad because of the length of time it takes to take effect (9 minutes?) Furthermore, because of the inability to obtain the third drug (sodium thiopental) in lethal injection from European countries opposed to the death penalty, the firing squad would be much more cost-efficient (constitutional because it's voluntary?)

I look forward to seeing some great opinions!

SenatorZhen
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 4:46:57 PM
A firing squad is not assisted suicide. Suicide is when you kill yourself, not allow someone else to do it. Just do it the same as normal assisted suicide with medication.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:25:15 PM
I support the general idea. I would definitely not call it suicide because death at the hands of a firing squad is anything but, but I definitely think if an inmate wishes to end their own life then he/she should have that choice. The concern I have about it is ensuring that it is very carefully regulated so that inmates are not pressured into it or that there is no possibility of someone fraudulently using this to cover up the murder of an inmate.
SenatorZhen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:46:58 PM
At 8/10/2014 4:46:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
A firing squad is not assisted suicide. Suicide is when you kill yourself, not allow someone else to do it. Just do it the same as normal assisted suicide with medication.

Couldn't the medication used cost more than bullets, therefore negating one of the major benefits of the bill?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:51:08 PM
At 8/10/2014 7:46:58 PM, SenatorZhen wrote:

Couldn't the medication used cost more than bullets, therefore negating one of the major benefits of the bill?

That's besides the point. Just because one is cheaper does not make is suicide. It makes it more cost efficient. Though we could use just an OD of heroin, that is confiscated by police (ergo, no cost, since they didn't pay anything for it and should not be selling it).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
SenatorZhen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 7:59:58 PM
At 8/10/2014 7:51:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That's besides the point. Just because one is cheaper does not make is suicide. It makes it more cost efficient. Though we could use just an OD of heroin, that is confiscated by police (ergo, no cost, since they didn't pay anything for it and should not be selling it).

I know it's not suicide, the reason why I brought up the cost was that you suggested using "normal assisted suicide with medication". Therefore it is a valid point. You did bring up a good point in that we could use drug overdoses, however it would probably be more practical to use cocaine rather than heroin, because we have an exponentially larger amount seized just by the CBP:
https://help.cbp.gov...
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:15:54 AM
At 8/10/2014 7:59:58 PM, SenatorZhen wrote:
At 8/10/2014 7:51:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I know it's not suicide, the reason why I brought up the cost was that you suggested using "normal assisted suicide with medication". Therefore it is a valid point. You did bring up a good point in that we could use drug overdoses, however it would probably be more practical to use cocaine rather than heroin, because we have an exponentially larger amount seized just by the CBP:
https://help.cbp.gov...

Speedball? Lol.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 11:00:48 AM
Nitrogen gas is the most humane way to kill someone (or for them to voluntarily kill themselves). Basically they become euphoric up until their death, usually within a minute or two. Here's the program: [].
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.