Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

What would China be like if Mao wasn't born?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 7:18:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 6:32:56 PM, Kaiser100 wrote:
Would another dictator emerge like Mao? Or would China be more like Taiwan?

Another dictator like Mao would have emerged. China was a mess during Mao's time, and when things are tough, tough leaders come out. People like Churchill, Lincoln, and Washington are also great only because of the circumstances they found themselves in.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
SenatorZhen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:28:59 PM
At 8/11/2014 7:18:55 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Another dictator like Mao would have emerged. China was a mess during Mao's time, and when things are tough, tough leaders come out. People like Churchill, Lincoln, and Washington are also great only because of the circumstances they found themselves in.

This. Before 1949 and the liberation of China (basically the heralding of the Communist Party's rule), China was reeling from the devastating effects of the war with Japan.

Although I have family in Beijing and love China dearly, I do not think China could be "more like Taiwan", or achieve a democracy in the near future. This is clear if you look at their history. Contrary to the United States, which was founded on democratic principles, in its long history China has not really had a true democratic rule. That's why some argue that even if China were truly liberated and were ran as a democracy, people would not know how to use their rights as citizens, etc.
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2014 6:53:54 AM

Well, the communist movement would have still appeared, and another leader would eventually appear, due to the situation at that time with the war tearing apart the economy and such.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 12:01:39 PM
When applied to a feudal country like China and every other set of socioeconomic conditions I can think of, Stalinism pretty much inevitably leads to dictatorship. Which is no surprise, since it was probably an ideology made with the intention of dictatorship creation. So someone else would have seized power and China would still be under brutal, authoritarian state capitalism.

Shouldn't this thread be in "History?"
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
Kaiser100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 4:33:47 PM
At 8/13/2014 12:01:39 PM, Material_Girl wrote:
When applied to a feudal country like China and every other set of socioeconomic conditions I can think of, Stalinism pretty much inevitably leads to dictatorship. Which is no surprise, since it was probably an ideology made with the intention of dictatorship creation. So someone else would have seized power and China would still be under brutal, authoritarian state capitalism.

Shouldn't this thread be in "History?"

Woops your right...