Jump to topic:

Death of Eduardo Campos

joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2014 10:04:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, the only decent presidential candidate in Brazil died in a plane crash today. (this is the best report on the situation I could find: http://news.yahoo.com...)

He didn't have much chances of winning, and while he wasn't a perfect candidate, he was a good choice over the current government exhausted style of leftism, and the stupid opposition which relies more in insults and fear-mongering than actual projects and ideas.

He is likely to be replaced by Marina Silva, who had a relatively successful campaign in 2010, but failed to organize a campaign of her own this year, and joined Eduardo Capos as his running mate. She actually has more chances of winning than Eduardo (she had 20% of the votes in 2010, while Eduardo had about 10% in recent polls), but this advantage is mostly due to her populist style, which doesn't attract me much. I did vote for her in 2010, but I'm not entirely convinced she is an appropriate person to be president of a country like Brazil. I'm actually considering not voting this time (specially considering that I'll have to travel 700km to do it).
My alternative to the Political Compass: http://www.debate.org...
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 5:34:49 AM
At 8/13/2014 10:04:46 PM, joepbr wrote:
So, the only decent presidential candidate in Brazil died in a plane crash today. (this is the best report on the situation I could find: http://news.yahoo.com...)

He didn't have much chances of winning, and while he wasn't a perfect candidate, he was a good choice over the current government exhausted style of leftism, and the stupid opposition which relies more in insults and fear-mongering than actual projects and ideas.

He is likely to be replaced by Marina Silva, who had a relatively successful campaign in 2010, but failed to organize a campaign of her own this year, and joined Eduardo Capos as his running mate. She actually has more chances of winning than Eduardo (she had 20% of the votes in 2010, while Eduardo had about 10% in recent polls), but this advantage is mostly due to her populist style, which doesn't attract me much. I did vote for her in 2010, but I'm not entirely convinced she is an appropriate person to be president of a country like Brazil. I'm actually considering not voting this time (specially considering that I'll have to travel 700km to do it).

That's really sad news. Especially since he had small children and a baby. :(

But why do you have to travel 700 km? Can you really be that far from the nearest town?
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:22:04 AM
At 8/17/2014 5:34:49 AM, rross wrote:
At 8/13/2014 10:04:46 PM, joepbr wrote:

That's really sad news. Especially since he had small children and a baby. :(

But why do you have to travel 700 km? Can you really be that far from the nearest town?

In Brazil you have to vote in the same section that is assigned to you when you make your voting ID, when I made mine, I was 16 years old, and had no idea I'd go to college in Brasilia. I could only change my voting section until about 6 months before elections. I didn't do it because Brazilian bureaucracy is not very exciting, and also because it would be a good excuse to visit my family in election day.

The death of Eduardo was a big let down, but now it's almost certain that Marina will replace him in the race. Depending on how well she does in her campaign, I might change my mind and make some effort to vote for her, she is not as good as Eduardo, but she has the potential to represent the changes that we need, and she does have far greater chances of winning.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 7:13:58 PM
I've just been reading about Marina Silva. She's amazing! I can't believe she used to work as a maid, and to go from that to President of Brazil! She's so glamorous and wants to protect the Amazon! I hope she wins.
joepbr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:22:02 PM
At 8/17/2014 7:13:58 PM, rross wrote:
I've just been reading about Marina Silva. She's amazing! I can't believe she used to work as a maid, and to go from that to President of Brazil! She's so glamorous and wants to protect the Amazon! I hope she wins.

Well, she does have an impressive life history, that's true, but that's not a novelty in Brazilian politics, Lula was also born in poverty and became president.

My biggest concern about a possible Marina victory is how she would govern, since the PSB is only a medium sized party - and she is not even a real member of the party, she entered the party after a genius move of Eduardo Campos, who convinced her to join him after she had failed to create a party of her own, which she needed to run by herself as she intended.

If she gets elected, it'll be extremely difficult for her to work with a congress full of opponents, specially when one of the main ideas that her campaign defends is refusing to make alliances with the old, corrupt and oligarchic politicians that have been continuously dominating the congress for decades (actually, some come from dynasties that dominate some regions of Brazil since the times of the Empire). There is also the extremely powerful agribusiness lobby, that gathers the support of a huge part of the congress, including some members of PSB, and is the group that Marina, as an environmentalist, is mostly opposed to.

Eduardo Campos was an extremely skilled politician, I don't doubt that he could manage to change the way politics are done in Brazil, and also mediate the clashes between environmentalists and farmers. I'm not sure if Marina can be as successful as him in this sense.

Still, as a candidate, she is now the only one that can represent a chance of renewal of politics in Brazil, something that the country is in urgent need, which became blatantly obvious with the protests that happened last year.