Jump to topic:

Where you stand on legalization of marijuana

miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 2:33:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As we all know, the legalization of marijuana was been a controversial issue since forever.
But what are your personal opinions on it? Should it be legal? Why or why not? And IF it were legal, what particular effects would it have on our communities?
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2014 10:22:31 PM
At 8/19/2014 2:33:55 PM, miraculous wrote:
As we all know, the legalization of marijuana was been a controversial issue since forever.
But what are your personal opinions on it? Should it be legal? Why or why not? And IF it were legal, what particular effects would it have on our communities?

I say legalise it. I think if it were legalised, a lot of the crime surrounding the marijuana trade would drop or disappear, as long as it were made a legitimate business. Think prohibition of the 20s. I could say the same for other drugs, but they're Way stronger than pot, So I don't know yet.
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 10:42:05 PM
I'm a strong believer in the protection of individual's freedom and liberty, unless said freedom can cause harm to the surrounding citizens. Though I do not and will not smoke Marijuana, I do not believe it is not harmful enough for the government to have the right to restrict it from us.
Praesentya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 12:52:46 AM
I'm from Boulder, Colorado, so I'm pretty much obligated to post here.

1. The United States can't afford an expensive 'war on drugs.' Therefore, the remaining two options are legalization, or just ignoring it.

Right now, it's legal in Colorado, though it isn't taxed. As a result, the State loses millions every year. So, I say legalize marijuana, and tax the sh*t out of it.

2. In response to those saying it isn't harmful, etc. There really hasn't been enough research to confirm or deny anything. American's used to think cigarettes were good for you, and Japanese pharmacies prescribed crystal meth in the 50's...
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 6:15:01 PM
The only thing I have against it is simply because everyone would be high. Over 54% of U.S citizens support marijuana or use marijuana, so it bothers me that such an abundance of people would have weed on them. Some argue and say that marijuana will have an effect on drivers as well, as in causing hazard on the roads.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
AdamEsk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 6:37:17 PM
At 8/23/2014 6:15:01 PM, miraculous wrote:
The only thing I have against it is simply because everyone would be high. Over 54% of U.S citizens support marijuana or use marijuana, so it bothers me that such an abundance of people would have weed on them. Some argue and say that marijuana will have an effect on drivers as well, as in causing hazard on the roads.
If it is proven to have a severe enough impact on drivers, then it would be a hazard to other citizens. I believe the government has the right to step in on any liberty that causes danger to other people.
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2014 6:43:30 PM
At 8/23/2014 6:37:17 PM, AdamEsk wrote:
If it is proven to have a severe enough impact on drivers, then it would be a hazard to other citizens. I believe the government has the right to step in on any liberty that causes danger to other people.
Yeah, that's my main concern. You may have every right to make your own decision. To have control over your own life. But you don't have the right to put others in danger.
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2014 1:16:54 PM
At 8/23/2014 6:37:17 PM, AdamEsk wrote:

Smoking weed and driving is currently and would remain a DWI.
afraazjadavji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 2:56:42 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
As an undergraduate student studying and assisting research studies in the school of Public Health at the Universtiy of Waterloo, I urge you all to look at what is happening to other countries and states implementing marijuana legalization and do your own research, there are MANY articles showing the negative consequences of Marijuana use; many which outweigh the benefits of using.

Initially, I was supportive of Marijuana legalization, but now researching this topic and looking at various studies and papers; I have realized it will do more harm than good. One reason for legalizing is for medicinal purposes, this I agree with and should be allowed ONLY for medical purposes NOT for recreational purposes. This brings me to my first argument, Alcohol and Cigarettes are the most used drugs in Youth and that is due to it being legal and available. Imagine how much lives would be saved if they were illegal. Now going to Marijuana, legalizing it has shown to increase accidents and pulmonary issues (you are holding the smoke in longer in your lungs and there is more tar than cigarettes), users report more burns and pulmonary issues including bronchitis which makes perfect sense. The hospital rates for marijuana will increase, as shown in Colorado and other legalized countries. Also legalizing Marijuana will give the perfect opportunity for the Tobacco industry to use! Read this paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com....

I can continue with more arguments just let me know if you would like to hear more.
Afraaz Jadavji
Dr. David Hammond Research Assistant
Health Studies | University of Waterloo
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 3:04:27 PM
At 11/3/2016 2:56:42 PM, afraazjadavji wrote:
As an undergraduate student studying and assisting research studies in the school of Public Health at the Universtiy of Waterloo, I urge you all to look at what is happening to other countries and states implementing marijuana legalization and do your own research, there are MANY articles showing the negative consequences of Marijuana use; many which outweigh the benefits of using.

Initially, I was supportive of Marijuana legalization, but now researching this topic and looking at various studies and papers; I have realized it will do more harm than good. One reason for legalizing is for medicinal purposes, this I agree with and should be allowed ONLY for medical purposes NOT for recreational purposes. This brings me to my first argument, Alcohol and Cigarettes are the most used drugs in Youth and that is due to it being legal and available. Imagine how much lives would be saved if they were illegal. Now going to Marijuana, legalizing it has shown to increase accidents and pulmonary issues (you are holding the smoke in longer in your lungs and there is more tar than cigarettes), users report more burns and pulmonary issues including bronchitis which makes perfect sense. The hospital rates for marijuana will increase, as shown in Colorado and other legalized countries. Also legalizing Marijuana will give the perfect opportunity for the Tobacco industry to use! Read this paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com....

I can continue with more arguments just let me know if you would like to hear more.

What the f**k? You join 14 min ago to reply to a two year old thread?
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 3:20:47 PM
At 11/3/2016 3:04:27 PM, TBR wrote:

What the f**k? You join 14 min ago to reply to a two year old thread?

lmao ultimate necro
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:33:49 PM

And many showing the opposite.
For about 100 years usage was common in the USA, but study was illegal - study was illegal, yet we were told of how bad it was, and and not a single study to show this, because study was illegal.

Initially, I was supportive of Marijuana legalization, but now researching this topic and looking at various studies and papers; I have realized it will do more harm than good. One reason for legalizing is for medicinal purposes, this I agree with and should be allowed ONLY for medical purposes NOT for recreational purposes.
And one of those medical purposes is for mental health.

Are anti-anxidey and anti-depression meds prescribed for recreational use? Of course not.

This brings me to my first argument, Alcohol and Cigarettes are the most used drugs in Youth and that is due to it being legal and available. Imagine how much lives would be saved if they were illegal. Now going to Marijuana, legalizing it has shown to increase accidents and pulmonary issues (you are holding the smoke in longer in your lungs and there is more tar than cigarettes), users report more burns and pulmonary issues including bronchitis which makes perfect sense.
Are you serious????
You think habitual tobacco or cannabis users consume the same amount of product?
I know of no cannabis users smoking an oz a day, a common dosage among tobacco users.
Tobacco users consume in one day what cannabis users consume in a month.
And that is not even considering brownies and consumables.

The hospital rates for marijuana will increase, as shown in Colorado and other legalized countries.
Hospital rates for cannabis.....what does that even mean?
Do you mean accidental consumption by children.

More people have died from water overdoses than cannabis.
Yes, drinking water kills more people by overdose that cannabis.

Also legalizing Marijuana will give the perfect opportunity for the Tobacco industry to use! Read this paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com....

Guilt by association?
Garbage.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 4:41:08 PM
If there is any hope at all that weed can replace even a handful of alcohol users, then there is no end to the benefits to society.
brycef
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2016 5:10:32 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize the public health student for resurrecting a thread. This is a common occurrence: you google something, find an ancient thread about something, and want to respond. Normally I don't bother to respond if the thread is so ancient, but there's nothing wrong with responding nonetheless. I can especially understand why she wanted to, given how invested she is in the subject as a public health researcher, and how she holds what is for this thread the minority opinion.

That said, I strongly disagree with her that it should be illegal because of its negative consequences. I don't deny them either, though - habitual marijuana use is strongly linked to depression, and longterm use can have significant effects on memory and emotional stability. Be that as it may, marijuana's negative effects are minuscule compared to those of many legal substances - alcohol is more addictive, is much more strongly linked to mental health problems, and over a long period of time leads to greatly reduced cognitive function. Plus, unlike marijuana, alcohol is linked to aggression and violence in some people. Legal painkillers are much more addictive, and destroy way more lives as people become more and more dependent on them. Cigarettes may not have the same issues in terms of mental effects and lifestyle impact, but they are much more addictive and much more deadly. It doesn't make sense to make marijuana illegal but keep these others legal, and it definitely doesn't make sense to make these all illegal. Prohibition doesn't work, and fuels crime - something marijuana is doing right now.

The funds from marijuana keep drug cartels in Northern Mexico running. Because marijuana is illegal in the United States, the cartels have been able to dominate the marijuana market, and because it's illegal, prices remain high, making it profitable. But now that marijuana is slowly being legalized across the country, the cartels are losing their grip on the market and prices are dropping. Plus, as any user can attest to, illegal Mexican marijuana is far inferior to medical-grade domestic marijuana. As the cartels lose funds, they lose power.

The other thing is overcrowded prisons in the United States. A huge percentage of the people filling these prisons are in there for nonviolent drug offenses. This is a travesty - you're literally ruining people's lives for doing drugs, which seems ironic if you want to make the drugs illegal to keep people from ruining their lives. It's like you're ruining their lives for them. It's very telling that for-profit private prisons have been very active in the anti-legalization campaign - they're making money off of this. It's also telling that the other major donors are alcohol and tobacco companies, who are worried about competition. This also fuels racial inequality to some extent - police often spend time in poor black neighborhoods attempting to make drug busts, knowing they'll get more convictions in poor black neighborhoods than rich white ones, and there will be less public sympathy for the poor black drug offenders. The number of minorities serving time for drug offenses is extremely disproportionate.

Legalize marijuana. Tax it highly, or not, I don't really care. But by keeping it illegal you're fueling crime and corporate corruption, and you're ruining people's lives.

For the record, I don't like marijuana. Before it was legal I enjoyed it sometimes at parties, just as another sensation. Since it's been legalized I don't like it at all because the medical stuff is way too powerful for me - it makes me feel sick, and it makes me unable to function, so I never smoke it or ingest it anymore. So I have no personal stake in this. But from an economic and social perspective, making marijuana illegal makes no sense.
yelekam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 2:46:07 AM
I am totally against legalization.
Marijuana is a poison to the mind, which distorts its users toward immorality and criminality. It damaging to the health of the users. And it creates a vast amount of social ills which the public has to bare the costs for.
legalization would increase use, increase use driven crime, and allow the dealers to act without opposition.
It should remained prohibited and the war on drugs should be reformed , so that it be stronger in combating this poison.