Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:27:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
[ Got this from Vi ]

http://news.yahoo.com...

The nation's public school curriculum may be in for a Texas-sized overhaul if the Lone Star state's influential recommendations for changes to social studies, economics and history textbooks are fully ratified later this spring. Last Friday, in a 10-to-5 vote split right down party lines, the Texas State Board of Education approved some controversial right-leaning alterations to what most students in the state— and by extension, in much of the rest of the country— will be studying as received historical and social-scientific wisdom. After a public comment period, the board will vote on final recommendations in May.

Here's some of the alterations Texas has in mind (and remember Texas has a hand in 80% of the textbook market):

- A greater emphasis on "the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s."

This means not only increased favorable mentions of Schlafly, the founder of the antifeminist Eagle Forum, but also more discussion of the Moral Majority, the Heritage Foundation, the National Rifle Association and Newt Gingrich's Contract With America.

- A reduced scope for Latino history and culture.

A proposal to expand such material in recognition of Texas' rapidly growing Hispanic population was defeated in last week's meetings—provoking one board member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out in protest. "They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don't exist," she said of her conservative colleagues on the board. "They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world."

- Changes in specific terminology.

Terms that the board's conservative majority felt were ideologically loaded are being retired. Hence, "imperialism" as a characterization of America's modern rise to world power is giving way to "expansionism," and "capitalism" is being dropped in economic material, in favor of the more positive expression "free market." (The new recommendations stress the need for favorable depictions of America's economic superiority across the board.)

- A more positive portrayal of Cold War anticommunism.

Disgraced anticommunist crusader Joseph McCarthy, the Wisconsin senator censured by the Senate for his aggressive targeting of individual citizens and their civil liberties on the basis of their purported ties to the Communist Party, comes in for partial rehabilitation. The board recommends that textbooks refer to documents published since McCarthy's death and the fall of the Soviet bloc that appear to show expansive Soviet designs to undermine the U.S. government.

- Language that qualifies the legacy of 1960s liberalism.

Great Society programs such as Title IX—which provides for equal gender access to educational resources—and affirmative action, intended to remedy historic workplace discrimination against African-Americans, are said to have created adverse "unintended consequences" in the curriculum's preferred language.

- Thomas Jefferson no longer included among writers influencing the nation's intellectual origins.

Jefferson, a deist who helped pioneer the legal theory of the separation of church and state, is not a model founder in the board's judgment. Among the intellectual forerunners to be highlighted in Jefferson's place: medieval Catholic philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas, Puritan theologian John Calvin and conservative British law scholar William Blackstone. Heavy emphasis is also to be placed on the founding fathers having been guided by strict Christian beliefs.

- Excision of recent third-party presidential candidates Ralph Nader (from the left) and Ross Perot (from the centrist Reform Party).

Meanwhile, the recommendations include an entry listing Confederate General Stonewall Jackson as a role model for effective leadership, and a statement from Confederate President Jefferson Davis accompanying a speech by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.

- A recommendation to include country and western music among the nation's important cultural movements.

The popular (and culturally relevant) black genre of hip-hop is being dropped from the same list.

--------------------

This is lol to me. And sad. And another reason why I plan on home-schooling.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:36:33 PM
yeah writing Jefferson out of American history is pretty much as absurd as it gets.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:39:31 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:36:33 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
yeah writing Jefferson out of American history is pretty much as absurd as it gets.

Even though he is linked to the democratic party, he was more conservative than Washington and Adams... I do not get it but hey?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:41:10 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:39:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
This is another instance of the failures of democracy.

Why, may I ask?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:42:46 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:41:10 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 3/15/2010 7:39:51 PM, wjmelements wrote:
This is another instance of the failures of democracy.

Why, may I ask?

cuz people are idiots.

and try to do idiot things.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:45:01 PM
Who gave these retards enough power to alter the nations educational textbooks? They're the ones who ought to be reeducated before they think they can start forcing their rubbish into textbooks.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:49:21 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:45:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Who gave these retards enough power to alter the nations educational textbooks? They're the ones who ought to be reeducated before they think they can start forcing their rubbish into textbooks.

Well, the source of their power is the fact that they buy a sh!t-ton of textbooks; so, for the sake of profit, they give the biggest "vote", shall we say, to Texas, since that's where the bulk of textbook sales come from.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:50:54 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:27:19 PM, theLwerd wrote:
What Askbob already posted in this thread (http://www.debate.org...) a couple days ago when the story broke on MSN
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:52:38 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:50:54 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
What Askbob already posted in this thread (http://www.debate.org...) a couple days ago when the story broke on MSN

Who's Askbob?

Metaphysics:
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:53:07 PM
[ Got this from Vi ]

- A reduced scope for Latino history and culture.

A proposal to expand such material in recognition of Texas' rapidly growing Hispanic population was defeated in last week's meetings—provoking one board member, Mary Helen Berlanga, to storm out in protest. "They can just pretend this is a white America and Hispanics don't exist," she said of her conservative colleagues on the board. "They are rewriting history, not only of Texas but of the United States and the world."

This one made me me lol the loudest. Reduced, really? Yeah, those Latino/a's and wanting to be recognized as having a legitimate role in American history.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:53:36 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:50:54 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:

Ya, sorry, I barely come on DDO anymore so I missed it. I just thought it was interesting when she posted it.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 7:54:34 PM
At 3/15/2010 7:53:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

This one made me me lol the loudest. Reduced, really? Yeah, those Latino/a's and wanting to be recognized as having a legitimate role in American history.

I have no clue what you're talking about. What do you mean?
President of DDO
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 8:35:39 PM
Also INB4 mongoose/mongeese go apeshit on TheLwerd for denouncing the motherland.
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2010 10:16:56 PM
I read the title as "Taxes Suck" and am now extremely disappointed. :(
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 7:09:53 AM
At 3/15/2010 8:14:49 PM, Puck wrote:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Ahh that's crazy! These people are seriously stupid and backwards. They are literally voting to keep their own children intentionally ignorant.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 7:13:18 AM
At 3/15/2010 8:35:39 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
Also INB4 mongoose/mongeese go apeshit on TheLwerd for denouncing the motherland.

LoL what could they possibly say? The proof that Texans are morons are in the pudding. Nobody would intentionally vote to keep their children ignorant unless they were retarded. Even to teach AGAINST Jefferson, the Enlightenment, etc. would be better than glossing over it as if it never happens. That means if Texans go to college elsewhere, and somebody brings up these very important and staple historical monuments, Texans are gonna be like "Uhh..." just as they are with most things. Look at GWB :p Anyway what sucks is that a LOT of textbooks come from there; hopefully that changes. Btw, I read your other thread about this and I don't see how any of this has to do with a separation of church and state. That's kind of irrelevant, no? Also... please... by all means...

http://i710.photobucket.com...
President of DDO
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 7:16:39 AM
At 3/16/2010 7:13:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:

LoL what could they possibly say?

Read in the other thread. Basically that church doesn't have to be separate of state or something stupid like that.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:03:05 AM
At 3/16/2010 7:16:39 AM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
At 3/16/2010 7:13:18 AM, theLwerd wrote:

LoL what could they possibly say?

Read in the other thread. Basically that church doesn't have to be separate of state or something stupid like that.

Yeah, I read it. The race to say "the separation is a myth!" thing was hilarious. I remember learning about that discrepancy and the actual meaning behind it in 8th grade. I guess they're still excited about it lol. Anyway, again I don't really see what this has to do with church. Not including a deist founding father, glossing over other important aspects of American history, insisting upon one political ideology over another, etc, doesn't seem like it has much to do with God.
President of DDO
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:38:18 PM
I think they should add the Marginal Revolution, Mises, and Rothbard to the curriculum.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:45:54 PM
At 3/16/2010 8:38:18 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Marginal Revolution

Cafe Hayek and Coordination Problem are purdy good too. : )
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:52:47 PM
At 3/16/2010 8:45:54 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/16/2010 8:38:18 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Marginal Revolution

Cafe Hayek and Coordination Problem are purdy good too. : )

I was referring the historical event, but yes the blog by Tyler Cowen is also good, as is Cafe Hayek and "Coordination Problem". I still have no idea why they changed the name.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 7:53:00 PM
I just remembered that I personally know one of the people on the Texas State Board of Education, Barbara Cargill.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com...) says that they voted down party lines on this change, so this means that she voted for it. I'll remember to bring it up when I see her next.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light