Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Hey Liberals

LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:03:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I want to know which "wars" (not referring to literal wars) you believe Republicans are waging against society.
For instance, I know you believe that Republicans are waging a War on Women. What other things do you believe Republicans to be waging war against?
(And yes, I am aware that this list will probably include everything that Republicans want to enact spending cuts on).
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 3:05:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 7:03:13 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I want to know which "wars" (not referring to literal wars) you believe Republicans are waging against society.
For instance, I know you believe that Republicans are waging a War on Women. What other things do you believe Republicans to be waging war against?
(And yes, I am aware that this list will probably include everything that Republicans want to enact spending cuts on).

None. I think that Republicans are doing a lot of incredibly dumb things (and there's some evidence to support that notion) but the rhetoric of any "war on [x]" perpetrated by US politicians against their constituents or other Americans is, itself, dumb.

There are a whole lot of problems I have with what Republcians do, but I think most of them (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin) do them because they truly believe they're doing what's right.

Romney, for example, truly believes that tax cuts for the wealthy help create jobs for the middle class. Ryan, likewise, truly believes that the minimum wage is a bad thing. I actually like Mitt Romney as a person, and I think that his is a perspective I'd surely want if I ever got involved in politics myself.

Even someone like Newt Gingrich, for example, is someone I'd want to talk stuff that relates to foreign policy over with because in a lot of ways there is some overlap in how we both think -but there is enough distinction that he's going to offer an alternative perspective.

Then, there are other Republicans who I generally have a lot of respect for, as people. This is probably going to surprise most of you, but George Bush did a lot of very good things while he was in office. Medicare part D, for example, is a creation of the Bush administration and I commend him for it. W was, I think, the last true "compassionate conservative," and a lot of people forget that when they talk about him which is unfair.

That said, there are a lot of Liberals who I am just not that fond of. I think Michelle Obama, for example, is out of touch with reality and that her efforts to reform school lunches are misguided. She should be focused on getting back the kind of programs to feed the poor that Lyndon Johnson put so much work into (but which Ronald Regan destroyed).

The reason that liberal pundits talk about things like a "war on women" or a "war on the poor" is two-fold: it gets all levels of donors to donate, and it gets people to get out and do stuff. Getting people angry isn't only a strategy of the Tea Party. The DNC has been using it for years, and as long as it still works it's still going to happen -and that's true on both sides.
Tsar of DDO
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 4:58:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 3:05:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 7:03:13 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I want to know which "wars" (not referring to literal wars) you believe Republicans are waging against society.
For instance, I know you believe that Republicans are waging a War on Women. What other things do you believe Republicans to be waging war against?
(And yes, I am aware that this list will probably include everything that Republicans want to enact spending cuts on).

None. I think that Republicans are doing a lot of incredibly dumb things (and there's some evidence to support that notion) but the rhetoric of any "war on [x]" perpetrated by US politicians against their constituents or other Americans is, itself, dumb.

There are a whole lot of problems I have with what Republcians do, but I think most of them (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin) do them because they truly believe they're doing what's right.

Romney, for example, truly believes that tax cuts for the wealthy help create jobs for the middle class. Ryan, likewise, truly believes that the minimum wage is a bad thing. I actually like Mitt Romney as a person, and I think that his is a perspective I'd surely want if I ever got involved in politics myself.

Even someone like Newt Gingrich, for example, is someone I'd want to talk stuff that relates to foreign policy over with because in a lot of ways there is some overlap in how we both think -but there is enough distinction that he's going to offer an alternative perspective.

Then, there are other Republicans who I generally have a lot of respect for, as people. This is probably going to surprise most of you, but George Bush did a lot of very good things while he was in office. Medicare part D, for example, is a creation of the Bush administration and I commend him for it. W was, I think, the last true "compassionate conservative," and a lot of people forget that when they talk about him which is unfair.

That said, there are a lot of Liberals who I am just not that fond of. I think Michelle Obama, for example, is out of touch with reality and that her efforts to reform school lunches are misguided. She should be focused on getting back the kind of programs to feed the poor that Lyndon Johnson put so much work into (but which Ronald Regan destroyed).

The reason that liberal pundits talk about things like a "war on women" or a "war on the poor" is two-fold: it gets all levels of donors to donate, and it gets people to get out and do stuff. Getting people angry isn't only a strategy of the Tea Party. The DNC has been using it for years, and as long as it still works it's still going to happen -and that's true on both sides.

Ah. Thank you for your input, which has been surprisingly civil.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:06:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 4:58:54 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/29/2014 3:05:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 7:03:13 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I want to know which "wars" (not referring to literal wars) you believe Republicans are waging against society.
For instance, I know you believe that Republicans are waging a War on Women. What other things do you believe Republicans to be waging war against?
(And yes, I am aware that this list will probably include everything that Republicans want to enact spending cuts on).

None. I think that Republicans are doing a lot of incredibly dumb things (and there's some evidence to support that notion) but the rhetoric of any "war on [x]" perpetrated by US politicians against their constituents or other Americans is, itself, dumb.

There are a whole lot of problems I have with what Republcians do, but I think most of them (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin) do them because they truly believe they're doing what's right.

Romney, for example, truly believes that tax cuts for the wealthy help create jobs for the middle class. Ryan, likewise, truly believes that the minimum wage is a bad thing. I actually like Mitt Romney as a person, and I think that his is a perspective I'd surely want if I ever got involved in politics myself.

Even someone like Newt Gingrich, for example, is someone I'd want to talk stuff that relates to foreign policy over with because in a lot of ways there is some overlap in how we both think -but there is enough distinction that he's going to offer an alternative perspective.

Then, there are other Republicans who I generally have a lot of respect for, as people. This is probably going to surprise most of you, but George Bush did a lot of very good things while he was in office. Medicare part D, for example, is a creation of the Bush administration and I commend him for it. W was, I think, the last true "compassionate conservative," and a lot of people forget that when they talk about him which is unfair.

That said, there are a lot of Liberals who I am just not that fond of. I think Michelle Obama, for example, is out of touch with reality and that her efforts to reform school lunches are misguided. She should be focused on getting back the kind of programs to feed the poor that Lyndon Johnson put so much work into (but which Ronald Regan destroyed).

The reason that liberal pundits talk about things like a "war on women" or a "war on the poor" is two-fold: it gets all levels of donors to donate, and it gets people to get out and do stuff. Getting people angry isn't only a strategy of the Tea Party. The DNC has been using it for years, and as long as it still works it's still going to happen -and that's true on both sides.

Ah. Thank you for your input, which has been surprisingly civil.

Sure. I usually am civil, unless someone gives me a very good reason not to be...
Tsar of DDO
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:11:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 5:06:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 4:58:54 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/29/2014 3:05:34 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 7:03:13 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
I want to know which "wars" (not referring to literal wars) you believe Republicans are waging against society.
For instance, I know you believe that Republicans are waging a War on Women. What other things do you believe Republicans to be waging war against?
(And yes, I am aware that this list will probably include everything that Republicans want to enact spending cuts on).

None. I think that Republicans are doing a lot of incredibly dumb things (and there's some evidence to support that notion) but the rhetoric of any "war on [x]" perpetrated by US politicians against their constituents or other Americans is, itself, dumb.

There are a whole lot of problems I have with what Republcians do, but I think most of them (with the possible exception of Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin) do them because they truly believe they're doing what's right.

Romney, for example, truly believes that tax cuts for the wealthy help create jobs for the middle class. Ryan, likewise, truly believes that the minimum wage is a bad thing. I actually like Mitt Romney as a person, and I think that his is a perspective I'd surely want if I ever got involved in politics myself.

Even someone like Newt Gingrich, for example, is someone I'd want to talk stuff that relates to foreign policy over with because in a lot of ways there is some overlap in how we both think -but there is enough distinction that he's going to offer an alternative perspective.

Then, there are other Republicans who I generally have a lot of respect for, as people. This is probably going to surprise most of you, but George Bush did a lot of very good things while he was in office. Medicare part D, for example, is a creation of the Bush administration and I commend him for it. W was, I think, the last true "compassionate conservative," and a lot of people forget that when they talk about him which is unfair.

That said, there are a lot of Liberals who I am just not that fond of. I think Michelle Obama, for example, is out of touch with reality and that her efforts to reform school lunches are misguided. She should be focused on getting back the kind of programs to feed the poor that Lyndon Johnson put so much work into (but which Ronald Regan destroyed).

The reason that liberal pundits talk about things like a "war on women" or a "war on the poor" is two-fold: it gets all levels of donors to donate, and it gets people to get out and do stuff. Getting people angry isn't only a strategy of the Tea Party. The DNC has been using it for years, and as long as it still works it's still going to happen -and that's true on both sides.

Ah. Thank you for your input, which has been surprisingly civil.

Sure. I usually am civil, unless someone gives me a very good reason not to be...

To be honest, I thought you would say something like "The Religious Right has devoted itself to oppressing women because they hate women and want to beat them savagely", or something like that.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:16:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 5:11:54 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
To be honest, I thought you would say something like "The Religious Right has devoted itself to oppressing women because they hate women and want to beat them savagely", or something like that.

I'll be completely frank with you on that issue, since you brought it up. I have a very negative opinion of the Southern Baptist convention, and I think many Southern Evangelicals have done a lot of damage not only to the integrity of Christianity but to the public image of Christians and the place religion has in our culture. That is not to say they 'intended' to facilitate that, but it's just a fact that they have. However, I think that very few of them beat their wives. If they do, then they should go to jail -but I don't think it would be fair to paint the religious right -generally- as waging a war on women.
Tsar of DDO
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:48:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 5:16:36 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 5:11:54 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
To be honest, I thought you would say something like "The Religious Right has devoted itself to oppressing women because they hate women and want to beat them savagely", or something like that.

I'll be completely frank with you on that issue, since you brought it up. I have a very negative opinion of the Southern Baptist convention, and I think many Southern Evangelicals have done a lot of damage not only to the integrity of Christianity but to the public image of Christians and the place religion has in our culture. That is not to say they 'intended' to facilitate that, but it's just a fact that they have. However, I think that very few of them beat their wives. If they do, then they should go to jail -but I don't think it would be fair to paint the religious right -generally- as waging a war on women.

I will also be honest: I disagree with the way that many "Southern Evangelicals" conduct themselves.
There are those among Christians who condemn sexual immortality while secretly being adulterers.
Besides that, there are people who hate not only homosexuality but also homosexuals. I myself am sometimes guilty of this to a degree.
Also, being overly pious does indeed make Christians look bad, especially if they secretly live immoral lifestyles. I myself am sometimes guilty of this too.

However, the solution is not to reinterpret Christianity to make it seem compatible with modern trends. Just because mainstream society says that X behavior is okay doesn't mean that the Bible must agree with this conclusion.
The solution is not to preach a "Prosperity Gospel" to appeal to an increasingly hedonistic culture either. Those books by pastors which are labeled "How to be Wealthy through the Gospel" are not only idiotic, but they are unbiblical.
The Bible never changes, as God never changes (though it may be translated into a new language and become forgotten in an extinct language). Christians who change the text of the Bible to have it fit modern trends are doing it wrong, I think.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 5:52:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 5:48:33 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 8/29/2014 5:16:36 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/29/2014 5:11:54 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
To be honest, I thought you would say something like "The Religious Right has devoted itself to oppressing women because they hate women and want to beat them savagely", or something like that.

I'll be completely frank with you on that issue, since you brought it up. I have a very negative opinion of the Southern Baptist convention, and I think many Southern Evangelicals have done a lot of damage not only to the integrity of Christianity but to the public image of Christians and the place religion has in our culture. That is not to say they 'intended' to facilitate that, but it's just a fact that they have. However, I think that very few of them beat their wives. If they do, then they should go to jail -but I don't think it would be fair to paint the religious right -generally- as waging a war on women.

I will also be honest: I disagree with the way that many "Southern Evangelicals" conduct themselves.
There are those among Christians who condemn sexual immortality while secretly being adulterers.
Besides that, there are people who hate not only homosexuality but also homosexuals. I myself am sometimes guilty of this to a degree.
Also, being overly pious does indeed make Christians look bad, especially if they secretly live immoral lifestyles. I myself am sometimes guilty of this too.

However, the solution is not to reinterpret Christianity to make it seem compatible with modern trends. Just because mainstream society says that X behavior is okay doesn't mean that the Bible must agree with this conclusion.
The solution is not to preach a "Prosperity Gospel" to appeal to an increasingly hedonistic culture either. Those books by pastors which are labeled "How to be Wealthy through the Gospel" are not only idiotic, but they are unbiblical.
The Bible never changes, as God never changes (though it may be translated into a new language and become forgotten in an extinct language). Christians who change the text of the Bible to have it fit modern trends are doing it wrong, I think.

The word of God, as it was communicated to those who wrote it, does not change. On that, I agree. But, the way we interpret meaning from that has changed considerably over time and space, as different people read it, preach from it, and translate it into different languages.
Tsar of DDO
TRUECRISTIAN
Posts: 50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:21:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Obama the radical tyrant who feverent hatred for things American like the Constitution, capitalism. He wants to implement a pro- Marxist , government, make Islam the official religion of the United States. I say the United States, is name only because we are deeply divided country.

LIKE PEOPLE WILL ACCEPT ALL THE HOMOSEXUAL AND I LIKE PEOPLE OR PERSON WILL TREAT A SHEMALE LIKE A REAL WOMEN AND OF COURS RESPECT IS THE BEST THINK FOR ME
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2014 7:22:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/29/2014 7:21:42 PM, TRUECRISTIAN wrote:
Obama the radical tyrant who feverent hatred for things American like the Constitution, capitalism. He wants to implement a pro- Marxist , government, make Islam the official religion of the United States. I say the United States, is name only because we are deeply divided country.

LIKE PEOPLE WILL ACCEPT ALL THE HOMOSEXUAL AND I LIKE PEOPLE OR PERSON WILL TREAT A SHEMALE LIKE A REAL WOMEN AND OF COURS RESPECT IS THE BEST THINK FOR ME

What the fuck are you talking about?
Tsar of DDO
TRUECRISTIAN
Posts: 50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 11:52:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
You need to associate with a good mental health professional Maybe they can help you unravel the amoral and sociopathic lack of conscience at the root of your narcisisstic personality disorder and why you're compelled to project your own behavior onto others.
YYW
Posts: 36,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 12:27:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/31/2014 11:52:23 AM, TRUECRISTIAN wrote:
You need to associate with a good mental health professional Maybe they can help you unravel the amoral and sociopathic lack of conscience at the root of your narcisisstic personality disorder and why you're compelled to project your own behavior onto others.

w/e
Tsar of DDO
Morality
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2014 5:39:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Their fighting to return to the status quo, so they aren't really waging any war. A counter-offensive would be more appropriate.

I mean, I know democrats and liberals use this rhetoric, but don't pretend Republicans don't. "War on Christianity", "War on Morality", "War on American culture", are all terms I've heard Republicans use.
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:28:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/3/2014 8:34:39 AM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
Iraqis.

Thank you for your input. Is this view shared by the majority of Liberals?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Posts: 82
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 4:42:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/3/2014 2:28:37 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
At 9/3/2014 8:34:39 AM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
Iraqis.

Thank you for your input. Is this view shared by the majority of Liberals?

I wouldn't know, you'll have to let them speak for themselves. You see, that's the thing about liberals, we believe that people should be allowed to speak their own mind, instead of having people dictate what one must say, or put words in their mouth for them.
I probably hate everything you stand for - and on.