Jump to topic:

Lawsuit against my school

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:16:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Since last year, several in the community have been advocating for the implemention of a district-wide school uniform policy. The policy would require students in grades K-12 to purchase their clothing from specific vendors that were only of a certain style and color.

Under Mississippi law, the school district is required to pay for the uniforms of needy students. A needy student is defined as a student living below the poverty level. 60% of the students in my school district live under the poverty level (even though about 20% of them lie on the little forms the school district hands out every August so they can get free lunch).

At a Feb. 2 meeting the school board agreed that the district did not have the funds to provide clothing to 60% of the student body.

After that a whole lot of mess insued and a bunch of parents got mad over the school board even considering uniforms.

On a March 2 meeting the school board voted unamiously to pass the measure with only minor changes. Two of the changes were:
(a) Students were not required to buy their clothing from specific vendors, but they still had to adhere to specific color and style guidelines.
(b) The word 'uniform' in the policy was changed to 'mandatory dress code'.

Some parents in the district contacted a lawyer saying that the policy violated Mississippi law because it did not provide hardship waivers.

Over 100 parents, teachers, students, and concerned members of the community signed an affidavit.

The case was filed in Circuit Court yesterday.

The prosecution claims that Mississippi Law was violated because the School District Policy ammounted to uniforms (even though the word uniform was never used) and thus the school district has to provide the hardship waivers.

The school district claims that since the policy does not require students to purchase their clothes from a specific vendor it is technically not a uniform and they do not have to provide the waivers.

A group of parents is also currently lobbying the state legislature to have them pass a measure that defines uniforms in a way that is friendly to the prosecution's case. Currently the state's definition of a uniform (as laid out in the law that requires the waivers) is fuzzy to say the very best.

Thought? Who has the better case?
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:24:57 PM
I'm anti uniforms as the rich kids will buy the standard uniform and the legit poor people will be clearly marked in their second-hand uniforms.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:29:29 PM
I think uniforms (never used school uniforms myself) are good. As long as the pupils have uniforms of equal quality, then it would be positive. Some children wear same clothes over and over again because they don't have money for new ones, while the middle class children wear all the modern ones, which kind of isolates the poor.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:33:06 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:24:57 PM, collegekitchen7 wrote:
I'm anti uniforms as the rich kids will buy the standard uniform and the legit poor people will be clearly marked in their second-hand uniforms.

And this isn't apparent without uniforms?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:38:29 PM
I was kinda hoping to hear more about the lawsuit, and not just uniforms in general.

Do you think the parents have a case? I honestly don't know.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:39:10 PM
I'm personally in favour of school uniforms. However, rather than leaving the responsibility of each individual family to purchase them, the school district should provide them. That would prevent any segregation that could occur due to rich kids having nicer new uniforms while the poor kids are stuck with second-hand ones.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:40:23 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:38:29 PM, Republican95 wrote:
I was kinda hoping to hear more about the lawsuit, and not just uniforms in general.

Do you think the parents have a case? I honestly don't know.

Well, it clearly goes against the laws in place, so yeah, I'd say they have case, no matter how much the school fuzzes up the term uniform.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:47:38 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:44:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
More for why I think my crack pot theories will work rather than mass anarchy ensuing.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:54:11 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:47:38 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/17/2010 2:44:27 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I want mass anarchy to ensue because I'm incapable of foreseeing the direct negative impact it will have on me and, ironically, my freedom

fix'd
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:01:34 PM
As for the uniform situation, I'd say they absolutely have a case. The way that you described it, it seems as though the board very obviously made the small revision in an attempt to get out of paying the waivers. However, as you suggested, it all boils down to how the term 'uniform' is defined. Just remember that in the end, it's not about the truth or what you know, it's about what you can prove in court (or more-so in this case, who has the better lawyers) ... so it could go either way really.