Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What are Richard Dawkins political?

Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:14:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Judging from his opponents on the matter he's prolly your standard democrat

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:TZuuIXTHabAJ:markhumphrys.com/letter.dawkins.html+richard+dawkins+politics&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:38:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:28:44 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still need to read The God Delusion for a good laugh.
Here's a part of the introduction:

"Imagine, with John Lennon, a world with no religion. Imagine
no suicide bombers, no 9/11, no 7/7, no Crusades, no witch-hunts,
no Gunpowder Plot, no Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian
wars, no Serb/Croat/Muslim massacres, no persecution of Jews
as ‘Christ killers', no Northern Ireland ‘troubles', no ‘honour
killings', no shiny-suited bouffant-haired televangelists fleecing
gullible people of their money (‘God wants you to give till it
hurts')."

From another perspective:

"Imagine, with Drahcir Snikwad, a world without politics. Imagine no wars, no democrat/communist/nacist massacres, no persecution of communists as'"freedom killers', no blue-eyed blond-haired dictator fleecing innocent people of their lives ('Hitler wants you to give it until you lose it')."
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:40:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:38:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:28:44 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I still need to read The God Delusion for a good laugh.
Here's a part of the introduction:

"Imagine, with John Lennon, a world with no religion. Imagine
no suicide bombers, no 9/11, no 7/7, no Crusades, no witch-hunts,
no Gunpowder Plot, no Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian
wars, no Serb/Croat/Muslim massacres, no persecution of Jews
as ‘Christ killers', no Northern Ireland ‘troubles', no ‘honour
killings', no shiny-suited bouffant-haired televangelists fleecing
gullible people of their money (‘God wants you to give till it
hurts')."

From another perspective:

"Imagine, with Drahcir Snikwad, a world without politics. Imagine no wars, no democrat/communist/nacist massacres, no persecution of communists as'"freedom killers', no blue-eyed blond-haired dictator fleecing innocent people of their lives ('Hitler wants you to give it until you lose it')."

lol. Just the intro made me laugh.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:47:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't see what's funny about Dawkins. It's been increasingly popular to criticize him, even from atheists.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:50:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:47:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't see what's funny about Dawkins. It's been increasingly popular to criticize him, even from atheists.

Me neither. Notice the theists just laugh at the atrocities that have directly come from religion. I like Dawkins.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 3:55:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:50:39 PM, Nags wrote:
Me neither. Notice the theists just laugh at the atrocities that have directly come from religion. I like Dawkins.
The standards of theists has always been superior to the one of Atheists. What do you believe in? Freedom for everything. You'll do anything to gain a piece of freedom. Why does Richard Dawkins blame religion for wars? Religion teaches that war is bad. Why does he not say that it's not religion but all kinds of different beliefs that cause violence? It's human nature to disagree over something, not just religion. People kill each other if they believe in different things, regarding the price of drugs perhaps. Let's blame unequal prices then? Things have always differentiated and will always differentiate. He is funny because he blames religion in such a stereotypical way as if it were the major reason behind violence.

Techbically his statements are funny, not really him.
Immortal
Posts: 350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:07:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?
Sarcasm?
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?

Corporatism (i.e. laissez-faire capitalism), I suspect.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:12:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?

Corporatism (i.e. laissez-faire capitalism), I suspect.

Lol, probably.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:34:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?

Corporatism (i.e. laissez-faire capitalism), I suspect.

Corporatism (franco's philosophy) has far more in common with socialism. Namely, the government runs just about everything. When you ask an agent of Franco what the difference between him and the Soviets is, what do you get?

"The Soviets give you lies in their state bread lines. We give you bread"

The Soviets would no doubt say the same.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:34:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:34:04 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?

Corporatism (i.e. laissez-faire capitalism), I suspect.

Corporatism (franco's philosophy) has far more in common with socialism. Namely, the government runs just about everything. When you ask an agent of Franco what the difference between him and the Soviets is, what do you get?

"The Soviets give you lies in their state bread lines. We give you bread"

The Soviets would no doubt say the same.

In reverse that is.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:49:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I'm too lazy and economically illiterate to realize that laissez-faire is actually the opposite of corporatism.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 5:10:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:50:39 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:47:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't see what's funny about Dawkins. It's been increasingly popular to criticize him, even from atheists.

Me neither. Notice the theists just laugh at the atrocities that have directly come from religion. I like Dawkins.

How is laughing at Dawkins' bad arguments laughing at the atrocities that come from religion?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 5:18:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 5:10:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
How is laughing at Dawkins' bad arguments laughing at the atrocities that come from religion?

Here's a part of the introduction:

"Imagine, with John Lennon, a world with no religion. Imagine
no suicide bombers, no 9/11, no 7/7, no Crusades, no witch-hunts,
no Gunpowder Plot, no Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian
wars, no Serb/Croat/Muslim massacres, no persecution of Jews
as ‘Christ killers', no Northern Ireland ‘troubles', no ‘honour
killings', no shiny-suited bouffant-haired televangelists fleecing
gullible people of their money (‘God wants you to give till it
hurts')."

From another perspective:

"Imagine, with Drahcir Snikwad, a world without politics. Imagine no wars, no democrat/communist/nacist massacres, no persecution of communists as'"freedom killers', no blue-eyed blond-haired dictator fleecing innocent people of their lives ('Hitler wants you to give it until you lose it')."

Insert and Mirza thought it was funny.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 10:25:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 4:07:43 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 3/17/2010 4:06:09 PM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/17/2010 3:13:01 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Koopin's political views are KFC. :P

What are KFC's political views then?

Corporatism (i.e. laissez-faire capitalism), I suspect.

o.O

reeeeeeeeally?

you realize corporations are only interested in the government because governments have the power to interfere in ways that help or harm them... interference + laissez faire = ???
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 11:53:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 5:18:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/17/2010 5:10:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
How is laughing at Dawkins' bad arguments laughing at the atrocities that come from religion?

Here's a part of the introduction:

"Imagine, with John Lennon, a world with no religion. Imagine
no suicide bombers, no 9/11, no 7/7, no Crusades, no witch-hunts,
no Gunpowder Plot, no Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian
wars, no Serb/Croat/Muslim massacres, no persecution of Jews
as ‘Christ killers', no Northern Ireland ‘troubles', no ‘honour
killings', no shiny-suited bouffant-haired televangelists fleecing
gullible people of their money (‘God wants you to give till it
hurts')."

From another perspective:

"Imagine, with Drahcir Snikwad, a world without politics. Imagine no wars, no democrat/communist/nacist massacres, no persecution of communists as'"freedom killers', no blue-eyed blond-haired dictator fleecing innocent people of their lives ('Hitler wants you to give it until you lose it')."

Insert and Mirza thought it was funny.

Yes, because Dawkins makes crap arguments.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 12:00:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 11:53:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes, because Dawkins makes crap arguments.

Ok, name just one and refute it. Dawkins' arguments are lethal, I don't know what you're talking about.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 12:05:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 12:00:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/17/2010 11:53:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes, because Dawkins makes crap arguments.

Ok, name just one and refute it. Dawkins' arguments are lethal, I don't know what you're talking about.

meh. he's a good introduction, but his grasp of philosophy is superficial, and he comes off obnoxiously pompous at times. i am guessing the attitude is what they find funny.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 12:14:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 12:05:22 AM, belle wrote:
At 3/18/2010 12:00:29 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/17/2010 11:53:49 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yes, because Dawkins makes crap arguments.

Ok, name just one and refute it. Dawkins' arguments are lethal, I don't know what you're talking about.

meh. he's a good introduction,

Yes, most would agree with that, however, I find that he does touch on some hard hitting points far beyond the typical theist-atheist arguments. If people think that all Dawkins has is the Zeus/Thor/FSM argument, Boeing 747 argument, then you're wrong. He has even touched upon some very important philosophical issues as well.

but his grasp of philosophy is superficial,

At a first glance, I can see why some would say that. He's not a philosophy expert by definition, but is DEFINITELY a great thinker who can make an excellent philosophical argument.

and he comes off obnoxiously pompous at times. i am guessing the attitude is what they find funny.

That's one of the things I like about him. His pompous accent and attitude, and rightfully so.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 12:53:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:47:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't see what's funny about Dawkins. It's been increasingly popular to criticize him, even from atheists.

When he denies creationism as superstititious clap trap then in the next breath suggests we were created by aliens... and does not laugh or look sheepish then I realise I exceeded him intellectually when I was still a child.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 1:08:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/17/2010 3:09:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I heard he was a Libertarian Socialist.

Doubtful. While he does advocate humanitarianism, which includes redistribution of wealth, it's not full scale socialism. He has said a few pro democracy type lines, but his political views are largely guess work, and not by choice I would hazard. Oh and he does appear to be anti free market, which is much in line with modern humanitarianism when applied politically: "economy dominated by self-interest at a lower level". So I'd place him somewhere 'left' which would make him a Labour supporter - which does have socialist roots (less so now).