Why are Conservative Christians Pro DP?

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 9:05:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
DP = Death Penalty

I never understood this. Sometimes I think most Conservative Christians are Pro Death Penalty just because that's what it seems like most Conservative Christians believe in. Just following the crowd to be a part of the group.

The Roman Catholic Church has certainly spoken out against the Death Penalty, and I am sure as a principle Christian denominations (and certainly Christian teaching) have generally been against the Death Penalty.

I don't find the beliefs to be reconcilable.
Nolite Timere
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 9:10:03 PM
The short answer is that most Conservative Christians tend to be evangelicals, and modern evangelicalism as a movement in the United States is a lot closer to a social movement as opposed to a religion.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2014 9:15:09 PM
At 9/2/2014 9:10:03 PM, thett3 wrote:
The short answer is that most Conservative Christians tend to be evangelicals, and modern evangelicalism as a movement in the United States is a lot closer to a social movement as opposed to a religious one.

Fixed.

It's also worth noting that in the United States, most people are pro death penalty and unless the supreme court strikes it down randomly, it's unlikely to disappear from the criminal justice landscape any time soon. Although some states will, rightfully, abolish it because they utterly fail to actually execute anyone (I'm looking at you Cali).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 9:10:16 AM
At 9/2/2014 9:05:51 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

I never understood this. Sometimes I think most Conservative Christians are Pro Death Penalty just because that's what it seems like most Conservative Christians believe in. Just following the crowd to be a part of the group.

The Roman Catholic Church has certainly spoken out against the Death Penalty, and I am sure as a principle Christian denominations (and certainly Christian teaching) have generally been against the Death Penalty.

Well, following a genocidal, mass murdering god might help. Plus he created us in their own image.
I probably hate everything you stand for - and on.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 9:42:06 AM
At 9/3/2014 9:10:16 AM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

Well, following a genocidal, mass murdering god might help. Plus he created us in their own image.

Go back to the religion forum demon!
Nolite Timere
Shadow-Dragon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 9:58:14 AM
As a Christian Conservative who was originally undecided, I now support the death penalty.

I believe it is a form of justice for criminals, and it gives the victims' families closure, that the person was killed. I know it goes against moral doctrine an Christian doctrine- my brother got mad at me for supporting it- but it is important nevertheless.
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 10:16:23 AM
At 9/3/2014 9:42:06 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 9/3/2014 9:10:16 AM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

Go back to the religion forum demon!

It's a perfectly even response to the question, why are Conservative Christians pro death penalty. Hell, if you see the things god thinks we should kill people for, why shouldn't they be pro death?
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 10:24:40 AM
At 9/3/2014 9:58:14 AM, Shadow-Dragon wrote:
As a Christian Conservative who was originally undecided, I now support the death penalty.

I believe it is a form of justice for criminals, and it gives the victims' families closure, that the person was killed. I know it goes against moral doctrine an Christian doctrine- my brother got mad at me for supporting it- but it is important nevertheless.

Actually, I've yet to see evidence showing that to be the case. The closure part.

http://discover.umn.edu...

And there is a big questions topic on it on youtube, where the mother of a murder victim said the same as well.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 10:37:21 AM
DP = Death Penalty

I am conservative, and I am a Christian. I support the death penalty because it is a just punishment for the most egregious crimes.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:06:37 AM
At 9/3/2014 10:37:21 AM, TN05 wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

I am conservative, and I am a Christian. I support the death penalty because it is a just punishment for the most egregious crimes.

How?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:08:07 AM
Even if I wasn't against it in theory, I'd be against it in practice. I mean the racial disparity alone is ridiculous.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:17:23 AM
At 9/3/2014 11:06:37 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

How?

Penalties increase for the crime committed. Someone who kills someone, for example, is going to get far more jail time (hopefully) than someone who hit someone in the face in a bar fight. Without the death penalty, the punishment for premeditated murder is pretty much the same (some variation of life in jail), regardless of how many people are killed. That is unjust by any standard, and places the value of any additional victims at zero. Without the death penalty, I could go out and rape and murder 100 5-year old girls and spend the rest of my life in a jail cell, with the government paying for all of my needs. With the death penalty, I'd (ideally) be dead.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 11:23:33 AM
DP = Death Penalty

I think its not so much that the combo Conservative & Christian is at play here. I think it is more that there are a lot of outspoken Christians who happen also to be conservatives. Since conservatives are traditionally for the death penalty it would seem that Christians are too but that might not necessarily be the case.

Christians who support the death penalty (such as myself) may see it as a government act and since they are not directly participating they find no fault in it. Or perhaps it is because Jesus was killed due to death penalty and such an idea is central to their religion that seeing it in modern politics does not offend them.

The Bible also gives justification for killing a person who is guilty of serious crimes and states multiple times that the blood from the death penalty will be on the head of the guilty and not the head of the just prosecutor.

It could be any one of these reasons or a little of all of them.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:27:11 PM
Christianity is a madhouse, obviously. It's a hotpot for all sorts of insidious regard, basically taking it all under its wing with that first man is born of sin.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:29:26 PM
CP is one such nutcase for example, writing bad poetry about the "saps of life" and objectifying women, all around caring for no one but himself and his due.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:37:34 PM
At 9/3/2014 12:29:26 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
CP is one such nutcase for example, writing bad poetry about the "saps of life" and objectifying women, all around caring for no one but himself and his due.

And then it's in things like this that people will tell other to kill themselves etc. and ooh killing the criminals is a great idea too! all for more for themselves, dadda took from me the tit, no virgin mother for me, I want stuff and seventy-two virgins and f*ck it we'll force them to wear veils in public while we're at it... It's a farce of a religion for the most part, same as Islam.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 12:39:20 PM
I mean what sort of a religion rewards people with other people . . . how can you seriously call that a religion? (And Christianity is the same bullsh*t, don't doubt it for a second.)
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 1:22:45 PM
At 9/3/2014 11:17:23 AM, TN05 wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

How?

Penalties increase for the crime committed. Someone who kills someone, for example, is going to get far more jail time (hopefully) than someone who hit someone in the face in a bar fight. Without the death penalty, the punishment for premeditated murder is pretty much the same (some variation of life in jail), regardless of how many people are killed. That is unjust by any standard, and places the value of any additional victims at zero. Without the death penalty, I could go out and rape and murder 100 5-year old girls and spend the rest of my life in a jail cell, with the government paying for all of my needs. With the death penalty, I'd (ideally) be dead.

The price paid doesn't increase here either though. You can only kill a Hindu twice, as George Carlin once pointed out. So, unless you're going to say something like, one hour of pre executional torture per person killed, it doesn't make a difference.
Osiris_Rosenthorne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 1:56:53 PM
At 9/3/2014 12:39:20 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I mean what sort of a religion rewards people with other people . . . how can you seriously call that a religion? (And Christianity is the same bullsh*t, don't doubt it for a second.)

Well, most religions base themselves around the proposition that people are property, or that god owns you. If so, why shouldn't we assume that he'll reward his favourite slaves with some good looking slaves who have displeased him. Plus, the triumvirate evolved in a highly patriarchal society, so, the religion really just reflects the society, bow before your father and do all that you are told.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:06:46 PM
How the 10 commandments really were written.

I am the Lord thy God
1. Though shall have no other gods before me.
2. Though shall not make unto thee any graven image.
6. Though shall not kill. *

Foot notes
*. Except in cases where.................................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What this goes to prove is that God did not deliver objective morality to mankind when you have exceptions to the rules.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:24:55 PM
At 9/3/2014 1:56:53 PM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
At 9/3/2014 12:39:20 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Well, most religions base themselves around the proposition that people are property, or that god owns you. If so, why shouldn't we assume that he'll reward his favourite slaves with some good looking slaves who have displeased him. Plus, the triumvirate evolved in a highly patriarchal society, so, the religion really just reflects the society, bow before your father and do all that you are told.

No they don't, just the nuts ones which go for capturing all the nutty thoughts of people in their spiel. And then there's Scientology which takes that to a whole other level and uh, yeah, no good religions I guess...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:34:11 PM
At 9/3/2014 1:22:45 PM, Osiris_Rosenthorne wrote:
At 9/3/2014 11:17:23 AM, TN05 wrote:
DP = Death Penalty

How?

The price paid doesn't increase here either though. You can only kill a Hindu twice, as George Carlin once pointed out. So, unless you're going to say something like, one hour of pre executional torture per person killed, it doesn't make a difference.

It does, actually, as it reduces the time of life. Meaning you die earlier and get less of the pleasures of life.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:37:35 PM
Ridiculous. At least make an argument from prevention or something. Religion + killing people = ridiculous.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:45:44 PM
See, that's just the nuts world you're dealing with... Most religious people are dumb cunts to whom death is as much a part of God as anything else. And they're all playing a game of God in fact, passing judgement, standing down on others etc., and so long as the next man is just as big a cunt it's okay, you can step on his back on the climb up from hell. It's ridiculous. It's Napoleon killing random people amidst the mob just to feel like he was really in control, and still harbouring notions of some divine plan on Earth for him.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:50:12 PM
DP = Death Penalty

"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in His own image."
Genesis 9:6
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 2:55:07 PM
At 9/3/2014 2:45:44 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
See, that's just the nuts world you're dealing with... Most religious people are dumb cunts to whom death is as much a part of God as anything else. And they're all playing a game of God in fact, passing judgement, standing down on others etc., and so long as the next man is just as big a cunt it's okay, you can step on his back on the climb up from hell. It's ridiculous. It's Napoleon killing random people amidst the mob just to feel like he was really in control, and still harbouring notions of some divine plan on Earth for him.

And like that other dude said, it came from such and such a time, whatever... And before that it was the warring Greek gods and that should tell you a little something about just how retarded and misanthropic people's conceptions of the world are... And it's all a big pile of sh*t and especially from the supposedly righteous... Hardly anyone can come up with any decent reason to exist but to feel personal pleasure and that comes in denying others mostly.

Christianity is f*cking genius btw and didn't evolve, other dude. It's more economical to believe it was engineered, cleverness of it taken into account. I mean, it literally covers ALL the bases in its cuntish way. I dunno what the triumvirate is...

At 9/3/2014 2:50:12 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in His own image."
Genesis 9:6

Haha, words in an old book, let's kill people!!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 3:19:29 PM
At 9/3/2014 2:06:46 PM, slo1 wrote:
How the 10 commandments really were written.

I am the Lord thy God
1. Though shall have no other gods before me.
2. Though shall not make unto thee any graven image.
6. Though shall not kill. *

Foot notes
*. Except in cases where.................................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What this goes to prove is that God did not deliver objective morality to mankind when you have exceptions to the rules.

You know... the wording of that first commandment... did God admit other gods existed? I mean if they didn't exist, shouldn't he have really worded it "I am the only god." and that's all he should have needed to say right? not I am "your" god.