Jump to topic:

I need help from fellow libertarians!

Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:10:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Would the majority of people here agree that the following concepts match with someone who is a libertarian? Sorry, me and my friend are having an argument over this.

-Personal Freedom
-Non-interventionist foreign policy
-Tolerance of the personal choices of others
-Civil Liberties and Privacy
-Separation of church and state
-Ending corporate welfare
-Complete economic freedom
-Robust national defense
-Respect for property rights
-Individual right to bear and keep arms
-Advancement based on individual ability

If you are not a libertarian, I will not take your opinion in this matter. I am trying to see if most other libertarians believe in the concepts above, as my friend, who claims he is a libertarian, does not accept a few of them.

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you are atheists?

Thanks!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:12:37 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:10:33 PM, Evannnn wrote:
Would the majority of people here agree that the following concepts match with someone who is a libertarian? Sorry, me and my friend are having an argument over this.

-Personal Freedom
: -Complete economic freedom
: -Robust national defense

The two bolded are problematic. The first is not libertarian but rather anarchist. The second is definitely not libertarian as one of the biggest libertarian pet issues is opposition to military spending.

If you are not a libertarian, I will not take your opinion in this matter. I am trying to see if most other libertarians believe in the concepts above, as my friend, who claims he is a libertarian, does not accept a few of them.

Thanks!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:33:52 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:12:37 PM, thett3 wrote:

-Personal Freedom

The two bolded are problematic. The first is not libertarian but rather anarchist. The second is definitely not libertarian as one of the biggest libertarian pet issues is opposition to military spending.

Thanks!

Interesting. I always thought a robust national defense would be important. As history has shown, when people are feeling more insecure, they are more likely to give up their personal freedoms. For example, after World War I, when the Treaty of Versailles was impacting Germany, people were willing to allow Hitler to come into power.

(I have, for everyones information, considered where the money to fund a military comes from)

As for complete economic freedom being anarchist, can you expand on this a little? Just so I can understand?

Anarchists believe that the state is harmful. Libertarians believe that the state is very important. Only, however, when it is not affecting the individual rights of the people who depend on it. Do people not have an individual right to do what they would like with the economy?

Do you believe that a free economy would be harmful? Can you explain how? Why should the government limit what people are allowed to do with their money?
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:34:10 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:13:07 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
16 year olds shouldn't have political opinions. Nor 24 year olds.

Why?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:35:47 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:34:10 PM, Evannnn wrote:

Why?

Numerous reasons, metaphysical and otherwise. Especially not you, though.
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:41:45 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:35:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Why?

Do you think I am somehow less capable of critical thinking because of my age? I have a brain just as you. I happen to believe in facts, and as a result, am still open to changing my opinions, or basis's for my opinions at anytime.

I would appreciate it if you kept your metaphysical 'opinions' to yourself in the future.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:46:01 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:41:45 PM, Evannnn wrote:

Why?

Do you think I am somehow less capable of critical thinking because of my age? I have a brain just as you. I happen to believe in facts, and as a result, am still open to changing my opinions, or basis's for my opinions at anytime.

I would appreciate it if you kept your metaphysical 'opinions' to yourself in the future.

Well, yes I do, but that's not what I was talking about. Cute you got so hurr I am equal to you! though. Not looking to oppress anyone dude, don't worry.

As a related aside though, did you know there's actually a moment at which a child realises it will become an adult? Crazy stuff.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:55:48 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:33:52 PM, Evannnn wrote:

-Personal Freedom

Thanks!

Interesting. I always thought a robust national defense would be important. As history has shown, when people are feeling more insecure, they are more likely to give up their personal freedoms. For example, after World War I, when the Treaty of Versailles was impacting Germany, people were willing to allow Hitler to come into power.

(I have, for everyones information, considered where the money to fund a military comes from)

I think an argument could be made that libertarians should support a strong military for the reasons you've outlined, but the default libertarian position is against big government and spending, which would mean reducing the size and funding of the military. Libertarians love to emphasize the dangers of the military industrial complex.

As for complete economic freedom being anarchist, can you expand on this a little? Just so I can understand?

Anarchists believe that the state is harmful. Libertarians believe that the state is very important. Only, however, when it is not affecting the individual rights of the people who depend on it. Do people not have an individual right to do what they would like with the economy?

Basically, *complete* economic freedom like you've stated could only happen under anarchy. It's instructive to look at the definition of a state--the anarchist Hoppe defines it as a territorial monopoly of jurisdiction (decision making). I think this is the best technical definition for what a state is. Libertarians want a minimal state that uses its power rarely, for example, in stopping criminals. An anarcho capitalist would prefer for this service to be left to the free market--rather than having one entity (the state) enforcing the law in a certain territory, people would have to turn to the free market. Complete economic freedom would necessitate a free market in things like law and punishment of lawbreakers, which libertarians don't support.

Do you believe that a free economy would be harmful? Can you explain how? Why should the government limit what people are allowed to do with their money?

My personal opinion? I think a totally free market would be harmful, yeah. But on balance free market solutions are generally the best we can hope for. There is a place for government in my mind both in the economy and outside of it, but I think it's doing too much currently especially in the realm of regulations crafted by bureaucrats.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 5:56:05 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:46:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Why?

Well, yes I do, but that's not what I was talking about. Cute you got so hurr I am equal to you! though. Not looking to oppress anyone dude, don't worry.

As a related aside though, did you know there's actually a moment at which a child realises it will become an adult? Crazy stuff.

I'm not feeling oppressed. I might not be as mentally developed as people who are older, because I'm a teen and all. But that doesn't mean I can't form political beliefs BRO.

Anyway, I checked your profile, and you seem to disagree with a lot of shiz that I agree with. So I'm gonna send you a request. It's always good to have people around who disagree with you.

Btw, lmao at you referring to a child as "it".
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:04:03 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:56:05 PM, Evannnn wrote:
At 9/3/2014 5:46:01 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Why?

I'm not feeling oppressed. I might not be as mentally developed as people who are older, because I'm a teen and all. But that doesn't mean I can't form political beliefs BRO.

Anyway, I checked your profile, and you seem to disagree with a lot of shiz that I agree with. So I'm gonna send you a request. It's always good to have people around who disagree with you.

Btw, lmao at you referring to a child as "it".

No sorry I'm going to have to reject your friend request, I've decided I do want to oppress you after all. And very interesting you remarked on that. Your politics is half-baked bro.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:14:44 PM
I have magic powers which equal to being able to see the actual, really stupid reasons behind most people's politics. I feel like there's some purpose to that sometimes.
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:23:53 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:55:48 PM, thett3 wrote:

-Personal Freedom

Thanks!

I think an argument could be made that libertarians should support a strong military for the reasons you've outlined, but the default libertarian position is against big government and spending, which would mean reducing the size and funding of the military. Libertarians love to emphasize the dangers of the military industrial complex.

Basically, *complete* economic freedom like you've stated could only happen under anarchy. It's instructive to look at the definition of a state--the anarchist Hoppe defines it as a territorial monopoly of jurisdiction (decision making). I think this is the best technical definition for what a state is. Libertarians want a minimal state that uses its power rarely, for example, in stopping criminals. An anarcho capitalist would prefer for this service to be left to the free market--rather than having one entity (the state) enforcing the law in a certain territory, people would have to turn to the free market. Complete economic freedom would necessitate a free market in things like law and punishment of lawbreakers, which libertarians don't support.

My personal opinion? I think a totally free market would be harmful, yeah. But on balance free market solutions are generally the best we can hope for. There is a place for government in my mind both in the economy and outside of it, but I think it's doing too much currently especially in the realm of regulations crafted by bureaucrats.

Ah, I see what you mean. It think we define a completely free economy differently. I define a completely free economy as something separate from the law and any contract protection. How can a economy be free if you don't have a third party who regulates everyone's rights to use this freedom to do what they'd like? It's the same for social rights. How can someone be socially free if you don't have a separate third party who regulates everyone's rights to be socially free?
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:25:28 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:14:44 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I have magic powers which equal to being able to see the actual, really stupid reasons behind most people's politics. I feel like there's some purpose to that sometimes.

To each there own. Hater.

"Whyyy can't weee be friends???"
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:30:38 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:25:28 PM, Evannnn wrote:
At 9/3/2014 6:14:44 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

To each there own. Hater.

"Whyyy can't weee be friends???"

Stop. STOP.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:32:23 PM
Black guy gets really mad over on Epicmafia because black moderator is doing the highest percentage of reports. People really gotta get a hold of their metaphors. Government =/= your parents, god, etc.
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:36:10 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:32:23 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Black guy gets really mad over on Epicmafia because black moderator is doing the highest percentage of reports. People really gotta get a hold of their metaphors. Government =/= your parents, god, etc.

Why are you still posting in this topic xD
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:38:16 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:36:10 PM, Evannnn wrote:

Hoping to god someone will make sense of the madness for me maybe. Or maybe WSA might shut his mouth finally once he sees how like you he is.

Don't worry, I don't think you're dumb btw - I think EVERYBODY is dumb.
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:40:00 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:38:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Hoping to god someone will make sense of the madness for me maybe. Or maybe WSA might shut his mouth finally once he sees how like you he is.

If you think everyone is dumb, how can I not be dumb? And does this include yourself?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:43:28 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:40:00 PM, Evannnn wrote:

If you think everyone is dumb, how can I not be dumb? And does this include yourself?

Don't be a pedantic little sh*t on top of being dumb dude.
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:50:44 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:43:28 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you, I mean no harm. I don't know any better, I'm 16 remember?

You said earlier that you have magical powers? Sounds pretty cool. Care to demonstrate?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:53:03 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:50:44 PM, Evannnn wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you, I mean no harm. I don't know any better, I'm 16 remember?

You said earlier that you have magical powers? Sounds pretty cool. Care to demonstrate?

I just did, actually. I bet you're resentful of really strict parents.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:54:53 PM
At 9/3/2014 5:55:48 PM, thett3 wrote:

-Personal Freedom

Thanks!

I'd agree, most mainstream Libertarians are anti-intervention and anti-military spending (which is the biggest problem I have with them, really).

Eh, a problem I have with this is that, if rights' protection agencies "compete", it implies that they'd be able to enforce rights in different ways. If this is the case, all but one of two or more rights' protection agencies, if they were separate entities, would necessarily enforce rights in the "wrong" way (since there is only one correct way to enforce rights). If this was the case, the agencies not enforcing rights correctly (i.e. the ones violating rights) would just be gangs, and, if gangs are allowed to control the market and the country via force as would be entailed by letting them "compete", the market could, in no way, be free.

A free market is a market free of the initiation of force, not a market without objective and standardized laws. Somalia does not have a free market - while the State doesn't exactly have control of it, the various warlords do, and their use of force makes the market anything but free. I think that's the most important distinction to be made, here.

#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Evannnn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 6:58:16 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:53:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Oh. Perhaps I am, Perhaps I'm not? Either way, how does that relate to my political views? I think I have an idea of how you came to that conclusion, but I want to be shhhure.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 7:01:40 PM
At 9/3/2014 6:58:16 PM, Evannnn wrote:
At 9/3/2014 6:53:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Oh. Perhaps I am, Perhaps I'm not? Either way, how does that relate to my political views? I think I have an idea of how you came to that conclusion, but I want to be shhhure.

Because that's how retarded people come to political opinions, it's all pie in the sky metaphor. You're Zarroette and her bad foster parents and resulting vehement anti-immigration politics in petty little boy mode.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 7:03:27 PM
@OP
The term "libertarian" is so broad that it doesn't really have a strict definition anymore, but you would definitely fall more under it than any other
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 7:06:29 PM
At 9/3/2014 7:03:57 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Go away, bossy.

Long time, no see, eh? How's yourself been doin'?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2014 7:09:01 PM
At 9/3/2014 7:06:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/3/2014 7:03:57 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Go away, bossy.

Long time, no see, eh? How's yourself been doin'?

Miserable, lol. Good to see you, dude.