Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Northeastern grad runs ISIS social media?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 5:38:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://nymag.com...

In 2009, the FBI indicted Abousamra for conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists; providing and attempting to provide material support to terrorists; conspiracy to kill in a foreign country; conspiracy; and false statements," according to the FBI.

Now, according to ABC News, officials suspect Abousamra is using his computer skills to work as ISIS's head of social media, helping spread propaganda over social networks like Twitter to convince Westerners to go fight for ISIS.

There have already been reports of Somali's from Minnesota who have been radicalized. Now, we learn that this guy is promulgating ISIS's message on Facebook, Twiter, etc.

I have a few solutions:

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. should censor material posted by fanatics. The beheading videos, the recruitment campaigns and the like, for two reasons: (1) it is more unethical for Western companies to allow their technology to be used as platforms for invoking outrage and recruitment than it is to censor the content and (2) in failing to censor this, Western social media is complicit in ISIS's recruitment. I also think that to the extent that western social media companies can assist in locating radicals, they should, as well.
Tsar of DDO
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 6:18:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/7/2014 5:38:11 PM, YYW wrote:
http://nymag.com...

In 2009, the FBI indicted Abousamra for conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists; providing and attempting to provide material support to terrorists; conspiracy to kill in a foreign country; conspiracy; and false statements," according to the FBI.

Now, according to ABC News, officials suspect Abousamra is using his computer skills to work as ISIS's head of social media, helping spread propaganda over social networks like Twitter to convince Westerners to go fight for ISIS.

There have already been reports of Somali's from Minnesota who have been radicalized. Now, we learn that this guy is promulgating ISIS's message on Facebook, Twiter, etc.

I have a few solutions:

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc. should censor material posted by fanatics. The beheading videos, the recruitment campaigns and the like, for two reasons: (1) it is more unethical for Western companies to allow their technology to be used as platforms for invoking outrage and recruitment than it is to censor the content and (2) in failing to censor this, Western social media is complicit in ISIS's recruitment. I also think that to the extent that western social media companies can assist in locating radicals, they should, as well.

I agree 100%.