Jump to topic:

Fat people pay the same???

collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2010 9:43:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
"People who are sick might face lower premiums than otherwise because insurers wouldn't be permitted to charge sick people more; healthier people might pay more. Older people could still be charged more than younger people, but the gap couldn't be as large."

As being morbidly obese is seen as a "preexisting condition" fatties who will be using the hospital more now will be paying the same as people who take care of themselves.
: At 3/24/2010 1:38:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

: At 3/18/2010 6:48:05 AM, kelly224 wrote:
: read some credible history books, unplug from the matrix.

: At 3/21/2010 4:13:56 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: Stocks would not go up 30% over something that hasn't even happened yet.

: At 3/21/2010 6:06:10 PM, banker wrote:
: It apears you have a wierd grasp of english..! its only second to
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 7:54:55 PM
Assuming for a second that I was in support of this current plan (which I'm not), I feel like I should be fair and point out that being overweight is different than being morbidly obese, and sometimes people are overweight specifically because of health problems in the first place. Besides, tanning is dangerous to one's health too -- Should people who tan be charged more as well? How about people with parents who smoke and might be around 2nd hand smoke but not smoke themselves? How would you keep track of all that? It can get pretty ridiculous if you start scrutinizing too much is all I mean. But I totally see your point, Bob.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 8:05:26 PM
Should people who tan be charged more as well
Yes

How about people with parents who smoke
If they stay with those parents. Various runaway laws and such that force them to should of course be abolished.

How would you keep track of all that?
Private insurance companies will keep track of such in order to better their moneymaking models.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 8:47:05 PM
At 3/23/2010 7:54:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Besides, tanning is dangerous to one's health too -- Should people who tan be charged more as well?

actually i am pretty sure the bill includes an extra tax on tanning salons :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 8:53:05 PM
At 3/23/2010 8:05:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Yes

You mean NO since you're against this entire thing lol.

If they stay with those parents. Various runaway laws and such that force them to should of course be abolished... Private insurance companies will keep track of such in order to better their moneymaking models.

People lie to insurance companies all the time. When I was insured under my parents, they had no idea if I smoked or not lol or if my parents smoked.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 8:54:01 PM
At 3/23/2010 8:47:05 PM, belle wrote:
Besides, tanning is dangerous to one's health too -- Should people who tan be charged more as well?

Interesting!
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 9:10:58 PM
At 3/23/2010 8:53:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 3/23/2010 8:05:26 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Yes

You mean NO since you're against this entire thing lol.
Well, yeah, if you're talking about government insurance in particular. But if you have good will toward an insurance system's function, which admittedly I don't,you should favor exactly such pricing by risk.

If they stay with those parents. Various runaway laws and such that force them to should of course be abolished... Private insurance companies will keep track of such in order to better their moneymaking models.

People lie to insurance companies all the time.
And if caught, they should be subject to fraud proceedings. Of course, it's the insurance companies' responsibility to invest in catching such people.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 9:32:35 PM
I feel like I should be fair and point out that being overweight is different than being morbidly obese, and sometimes people are overweight specifically because of health problems in the first place.

Health Problem: They consume more calories than their body burns.

Yes

How about people with parents who smoke and might be around 2nd hand smoke but not smoke themselves?

Yes

How would you keep track of all that?

They ask you are you a smoker or live in an environment where you receive a large amount of second hand smoke. You respond "yes" then you pay more and are covered for damages resulting from smoking. If you are a smoker or live in such an environment but respond "no" then you have a lung problem where tar is in your lung from smoke then they don't cover it.

It can get pretty ridiculous if you start scrutinizing too much is all I mean. But I totally see your point, Bob.

I think it can be done very simply. Such as auto insurance is done now. You aren't healthy (you are a bad driver) then you will be using the insurance more thus you should pay more.
: But it's human nature. You're born inside your mother, so what's wrong with having some sexual activity with her?

collegekitchen7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 9:41:00 PM
At 3/23/2010 8:54:01 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 3/23/2010 8:47:05 PM, belle wrote:

Interesting!

This is correct

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 9:41:51 PM
I don't care nearly enough about this issue to keep 'debating' about it (lol considering I wasn't arguing anything anyway) but as a side note, Vi is a HORRIBLE driver and yet she doesn't get into accidents. Meanwhile, I've been in several accidents (which even if they weren't my fault, insurance still goes up). Great system. It seems to half rely on luck, no?
President of DDO
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 9:47:42 PM
At 3/23/2010 9:41:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't care nearly enough about this issue to keep 'debating' about it (lol considering I wasn't arguing anything anyway) but as a side note, Vi is a HORRIBLE driver and yet she doesn't get into accidents. Meanwhile, I've been in several accidents (which even if they weren't my fault, insurance still goes up). Great system. It seems to half rely on luck, no?

as far as i know the insurance companies usually take into account whether the accident was your fault or not...

"Vehicle collisions are classified on a few factors. One of the most important ones is whether or not you are considered to be at fault in the accident or not. If you are not found to be at fault in the accident, more than likely your premiums will not be affected. However, if you are considered to be at fault, your rates may be increased"

http://www.carinsurancequote.net...

maybe you just have shitty insurance :/
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 10:08:00 PM
At 3/23/2010 9:47:42 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/23/2010 9:41:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:

as far as i know the insurance companies usually take into account whether the accident was your fault or not...

"Vehicle collisions are classified on a few factors. One of the most important ones is whether or not you are considered to be at fault in the accident or not. If you are not found to be at fault in the accident, more than likely your premiums will not be affected. However, if you are considered to be at fault, your rates may be increased"

http://www.carinsurancequote.net...

maybe you just have shitty insurance :/

Stupid no fault auto-insurance. In Michigan in you get in an accident and make an insurance claim your premiums always go up because both insurers have to pay.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 10:12:01 PM
At 3/23/2010 10:08:00 PM, Korashk wrote:
Stupid no fault auto-insurance. In Michigan in you get in an accident and make an insurance claim your premiums always go up because both insurers have to pay.

gah sh*tty. whats the reasoning behind that system anyhow?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2010 10:33:12 PM
At 3/23/2010 10:12:01 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/23/2010 10:08:00 PM, Korashk wrote:

gah sh*tty. whats the reasoning behind that system anyhow?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I've never been able to justify it in my head. No fault is a joke term when it comes to auto accidents.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown