Coffee Party

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2010 9:56:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.coffeepartyusa.com...

"Coffee Party USA aims to reinvigorate the public sphere, drawing from diverse backgrounds and diverse perspectives, with the goal of expanding the influence of the People in America's political arena. We do not require nor adhere to any preexisting ideology. We encourage deliberation guided by reason amongst the many viewpoints held by our members. We see our diversity as a strength, not a weakness, because we believe that faithful deliberation from multiple vantage points is the best way to achieve the common good. It is in the responsible and reasonable practice of deliberation that we hope to contribute to society.

Coffee Party USA is made up of people acting independently of political parties, of corporations, and of political lobbying networks. To this point, all products created and hours logged for Coffee Party have been carried out in the spirit of volunteerism. In the coming months and years, we hope to transform our disappointment in our current political system into a force that will return our nation to a course of popular governance, of the People by the People for the People."

Anyone else following this "recent" movement or have any opinions for or against them?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2010 10:18:24 PM
At 3/24/2010 9:56:29 PM, OreEle wrote:
http://www.coffeepartyusa.com...

"Coffee Party USA aims to reinvigorate the public sphere, drawing from diverse backgrounds and diverse perspectives, with the goal of expanding the influence of the People in America's political arena. We do not require nor adhere to any preexisting ideology. We encourage deliberation guided by reason amongst the many viewpoints held by our members. We see our diversity as a strength, not a weakness, because we believe that faithful deliberation from multiple vantage points is the best way to achieve the common good. It is in the responsible and reasonable practice of deliberation that we hope to contribute to society.

Coffee Party USA is made up of people acting independently of political parties, of corporations, and of political lobbying networks. To this point, all products created and hours logged for Coffee Party have been carried out in the spirit of volunteerism. In the coming months and years, we hope to transform our disappointment in our current political system into a force that will return our nation to a course of popular governance, of the People by the People for the People."

Anyone else following this "recent" movement or have any opinions for or against them?

can you sum them up for me in a sentence to two?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 5:59:56 PM
This seems like a contradiction to me:

with the goal of expanding the influence of the People in America's political arena.

We do not adhere to any preexisting ideology.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:02:11 PM
At 3/26/2010 5:59:56 PM, wjmelements wrote:

with the goal of expanding the influence of the People in America's political arena.

That's true. Maybe they meant "political ideology," ie. Democrats and Republicans.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:12:56 PM
At 3/26/2010 6:03:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Sounds fantastic to me!!

Really?

"The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government," the Coffee Party USA website explains. "We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them."

Words cannot express how disappointed I am in humanity.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:15:08 PM
At 3/26/2010 6:12:56 PM, Reasoning wrote:
"The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government," the Coffee Party USA website explains. "We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them."

Haha, as if all the failures of democracy were simply due to the lack of voter turnout.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:16:29 PM
Sounds fantastic to me!!

Really?

And they lost me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:23:51 PM
Sounds fantastic to me!!

Really?

*coughpopulistscough*
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 6:40:01 PM
Sounds fantastic to me!!

Really?

Considering that we've pretty much surpassed the point where we could revert to communal anarchy, does that mean that you would prefer democracy to be NON-representative?
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 8:56:36 PM
At 3/26/2010 6:23:51 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Sounds fantastic to me!!

Really?

*coughpopulistscough*

They're not populists. It's called participatory democracy - it's a liberal ideal.

Populism would be like, California.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2010 3:51:05 PM
Most of the ideas that it promotes is not populism (as in "do whatever is popular") but around those in government actually being mature and having integrety. Debating issues (regardless of party or political leaning) in a mature and respectible way, and doing what you said you were gonna do to get elected in the first place.

cheap tricks to pass a bill, to aviod having your name tied to a vote, or flat out lying to people so that the politicans can have "sheeple" eatting from the palm of their hands (which usually has poison in it).

Voter turnout isn't really hard for any politian. Educated voter turn out is (educated, meaning educated on the issues).

How many people do you think where either for or against the healthcare bill with no more knowledge on it then "governmental healthcare" and a few talking points that they picked up from some radio talk show host of their political leaning without double checking a single statement?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2010 4:15:00 PM
At 3/26/2010 5:59:56 PM, wjmelements wrote:

It's not a contradiction. "the people" is a meaningless phrase, and therefore lacks ideological content.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.