Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

Permanence of sexual preference

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 9:53:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't think all kinds of sexual preference are permanent, and it seems strange to me that people would argue that they are.

For example, the sort of people I was attracted to at 15 were very different to the people I'm attracted to now. I have a friend who is attracted to violent, abusive men. I don't think that's set in stone. I think she can turn that around, and the idea that she's stuck with it for life, seems cruel and also silly.

What about rapists - is there no hope for reform - will they always be aroused at the thought of violent, non-consensual sex - or pedophiles will always be pedophiles? I don't think we know that for sure.

Anyway, it seems to me that this is a political opinion rather than one based on evidence. I don't believe that there are substantial and objective studies that show that pedophiles will always be pedophiles. Rather, it is probably a reaction to homosexuality being seen as a disorder in the past and the miserable attempts to cure it. I wonder though if it makes more sense politically to say that people have no business trying to alter homosexuality rather than to make the big leap to saying that all sexual preference is permanent.