Jump to topic:

Calling vehicles female is trivializing rape

jh1234lnew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2014 4:20:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In casual situations, people frequently refer to transportation devices as female. (E.g. "she carries 7 passengers" rather than "it carries 7 passengers")

This is sexist because the language is not gender-neutral. In a time when chairman and spokesman are now chairperson and spokesperson, calling all transportation devices female is sexist and politically incorrect.

Also, this depicts rape as something that females ask for. Ever wonder why transportation devices are feminine in the English language? Well, it is because the vehicles have tanks which fill up with gasoline from a phallic fueling gun! Calling transportation devices "she" is basically saying that females ask for rape with non-modest clothing just like vehicles ask for fuel with a "empty fuel tank" indicator. Furthermore, electric vehicle companies perpetrate this stereotype further by having the prongs on the electric cord, even though they could put the prongs on the vehicle instead.
MasterDebater0
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 3:14:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/22/2014 4:20:45 PM, jh1234lnew wrote:
In casual situations, people frequently refer to transportation devices as female. (E.g. "she carries 7 passengers" rather than "it carries 7 passengers")

This is sexist because the language is not gender-neutral. In a time when chairman and spokesman are now chairperson and spokesperson, calling all transportation devices female is sexist and politically incorrect.

Also, this depicts rape as something that females ask for. Ever wonder why transportation devices are feminine in the English language? Well, it is because the vehicles have tanks which fill up with gasoline from a phallic fueling gun! Calling transportation devices "she" is basically saying that females ask for rape with non-modest clothing just like vehicles ask for fuel with a "empty fuel tank" indicator. Furthermore, electric vehicle companies perpetrate this stereotype further by having the prongs on the electric cord, even though they could put the prongs on the vehicle instead.

Sexism is hatred of people based on their sex. Most men love their cars, therefore they call them 'she' because they also love women. Using a female pronoun for an inanimate object cannot, by itself, indicate a hatred of women.

I also use 'chairman' and 'spokesman,' because there are two meanings for man/men: Either an individual/group of males, or humanity. In the second sense, chairman means the same thing as chairperson. Almost nobody I know uses gender-neutral terms in these situations. Political correctness is superseded by functionality and free speech. Functionally, it is easier to say '-man' rather than '-person' as a suffix, as there is one less syllable. Free speech is exactly that: people can say whatever they want.

At this point, I'm pretty sure you're being satirical, but I will reiterate that the reason a man calls a car a woman is that he loves his car, as well as women.