Michelle Obama slips up big

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:07:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ouch.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:18:00 PM
That's actually not a slip up, unless you're whitey.

Most African Americans call their "home country" the country from which their ancestors were from. Might be more straightforward to say "ancestral homeland," but eh, who every pays attention anyways?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:19:21 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I call my "home" country Albania even though I am born and raised in America. It's where most of my family is, the culture I was raised in, and where my blood comes from.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:23:41 PM
Whoever thought you'd be better, at screwing up a speech than me, I do it for my life. You made my voter drive crank, you made poll numbers bulge, you made my black fanbase melt from the heat!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:24:21 PM
Do most African Americans (or you, Vi) have a significant part of the country that will raise an issue in court with constitutional implications about anything resembling an admission that they were born somewhere else?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:25:45 PM
And btw a president (even by proxy through his wife) calling somewhere else a "home country" even in a non-birth sense is just plain bad-PR
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:28:49 PM
It was in bad taste. So what? Like I said - no issue except if you're whitey, and probably a racist whitey at that.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:29:20 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:24:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Do most African Americans (or you, Vi) have a significant part of the country that will raise an issue in court with constitutional implications about anything resembling an admission that they were born somewhere else?

Probably not, but even if said people took it to court, they'd lose. There's no proof to my knowledge that he was born outside of the U.S. and there is proof that he was (birth certificate).
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:30:31 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:28:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
It was in bad taste. So what? Like I said - no issue except if you're whitey, and probably a racist whitey at that.

Has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with nationalism. Hell, there would be an issue if, say, Clinton went and called, say, Greece his "home country."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:32:01 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:30:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with nationalism. Hell, there would be an issue if, say, Clinton went and called, say, Greece his "home country."

I guarantee you that if you interviewed one of these birthers, and I mean really interviewed them, and explored all the reasons behind their continuing advocacy of the idea, you'll find out that they don't think too highly of minorities.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:32:40 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:29:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/5/2010 1:24:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Probably not, but even if said people took it to court, they'd lose.
And gain voters while they're at it. Grandma saying it can be thrown off to senility, his wife too is a little much for some voters I'd imagine.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:36:21 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:32:01 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/5/2010 1:30:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I guarantee you that if you interviewed one of these birthers, and I mean really interviewed them, and explored all the reasons behind their continuing advocacy of the idea, you'll find out that they don't think too highly of minorities.

Some? Maybe. Certainly far from all.

http://www.gettomass.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:39:23 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:38:08 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/5/2010 1:36:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Some? Maybe. Certainly far from all.

Did I say all?

You said if I interviewed one, I would find it was racist (assuming I read their mind).

In order for this statement to be certain, it would have to be accurate for all, since you didn't tell me which one.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:41:24 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:39:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
You said if I interviewed one, I would find it was racist (assuming I read their mind).

Not hard to get the truth out of people without mind-reading.

In order for this statement to be certain, it would have to be accurate for all, since you didn't tell me which one.

The white one.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:42:15 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:41:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
The white one.

Actually, no, I take that back. I bet if you interviewed that guy you'd still find he has a problem with minorities. You can be a self-hating minority, you know.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:42:22 PM

The white one.

There's more than one of those. :P
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:43:28 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:42:15 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/5/2010 1:41:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
The white one.

Actually, no, I take that back. I bet if you interviewed that guy you'd still find he has a problem with minorities. You can be a self-hating minority, you know.

Well, unfortunately I don't have access for an interview.

Course, ya never know, he could hate whites instead. Obama's half after all :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 1:44:42 PM
At 4/5/2010 1:43:28 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Well, unfortunately I don't have access for an interview.

I can't imagine there is many birthers in cosmopolitan Seattle.

Course, ya never know, he could hate whites instead. Obama's half after all :P

Good point.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 10:40:09 PM
I think it was in good taste. The whole concept of nationalism is flawed, especially when you are in the richest most powerful country in the world. Nationalism is a form of pride. Coddling your own at the expense of others; it goes against every moral tenet there is. It's precisely this type of thinking that keeps wars raging and capitalism thriving.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 10:43:58 PM
At 4/5/2010 10:40:09 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I think it was in good taste. The whole concept of nationalism is flawed, especially when you are in the richest most powerful country in the world. Nationalism is a form of pride. Coddling your own at the expense of others; it goes against every moral tenet there is. It's precisely this type of thinking that keeps wars raging and capitalism thriving.

why the hell do you have a computer? internet? you probably could have saved several lives with the money you spent on it. coddling yourself at the expense of others. disgusting.

for that matter what the hell are you doing eating food? coddling yourself at the expense of others again. ouch!

granted i think nationalism is silly (do i choose where to be born?) but your argument against it is ridiculous :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 10:56:29 PM
why the hell do you have a computer? internet? you probably could have saved several lives with the money you spent on it. coddling yourself at the expense of others. disgusting.

for that matter what the hell are you doing eating food? coddling yourself at the expense of others again. ouch!

granted i think nationalism is silly (do i choose where to be born?) but your argument against it is ridiculous.

The key here is intent. When I eat food, you could make the argument that someone else could of ate it, but my intent is not to do anything at the expense of others so it is not immoral. What I could have done doesn't matter, what I actually do does matter. Nationalism is active engagement in the sole intent of lifting one's own nation above others. Having the internet or a computer is not.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:03:39 PM
At 4/5/2010 10:56:29 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:

granted i think nationalism is silly (do i choose where to be born?) but your argument against it is ridiculous.

The key here is intent. When I eat food, you could make the argument that someone else could of ate it, but my intent is not to do anything at the expense of others so it is not immoral. What I could have done doesn't matter, what I actually do does matter. Nationalism is active engagement in the sole intent of lifting one's own nation above others. Having the internet or a computer is not.

Having a computer is raising your own living standards (as is having a car and a house). You don't intend to raise your living standards above others, but you do. And with nationalism, you are "raising" your nation up, not nessicarily with the intent above others, but simply to better yourself (as a nation).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:21:14 PM
i think you have it bass-ackwards. my computer is not raise myself above others, it is for communication. nationalism's only purpose is raising a nation above other nations... if it weren't then we would have globalism and be proud of all of our people on earth. we dont, and we aren't.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:23:32 PM
At 4/5/2010 11:21:14 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
i think you have it bass-ackwards. my computer is not raise myself above others, it is for communication. nationalism's only purpose is raising a nation above other nations... if it weren't then we would have globalism and be proud of all of our people on earth. we dont, and we aren't.

so the only purpose of a gay pride parade then is to denigrate straight people?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:29:28 PM
At 4/5/2010 11:23:32 PM, belle wrote:

so the only purpose of a gay pride parade then is to denigrate straight people?

No, it's also so grown men can get away with wearing @ss-less chaps and pink feather boas simultaneously.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:37:02 PM
At 4/5/2010 11:21:14 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
i think you have it bass-ackwards. my computer is not raise myself above others, it is for communication.

I believe that is what you genuinely use it for; however, you owning one DOES result in putting you above others (say, a homeless person).

nationalism's only purpose is raising a nation above other nations... if it weren't then we would have globalism and be proud of all of our people on earth. we dont, and we aren't.

There are a lot of reasons for nationalism and have been throughout history. Many times it was to instigate a war (so you're right on some level) but it has also been used to boost morale or celebrate a culture. I think it's dumb when used to create an us vs. them mentality too, but the capitalism argument was a lil silly.
President of DDO
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 11:59:48 PM

Hello, I'm a birther, and I'm a birther because I'll take any and all potentially valid reasons to kick the current president out of the White House.

Not that I particularly support the presidency itself or that I think the birther argument is a particularly strong one, but hey, I use what I got :D
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 12:09:43 AM
At 4/5/2010 11:59:48 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:

Hello, I'm a birther, and I'm a birther because I'll take any and all potentially valid reasons to kick the current president out of the White House.
That's not a birther, that's just ad hoc. I'm pretty sure to qualify as a birther you have to believe the Constitution has some sort of moral authority.