Jump to topic:

The Birth of the State

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:50:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"When most of humanity settled into peaceful farming communities, with perhaps larger marketplaces in towns, some people discovered a means of surviving parasitically from the productivity of others. They formed robber bands and attacked towns and settlements, plundering, raping and murdering. Probably the original barbarian hordes were hunters who took to hunting man when their game died out rather than taking to farming, trading, or productive manufacture.

These roving groups were a small minority (or their victims would've died out as they as well) but large as compared to a single town or village. Somewhere along the way, one of them discovered that they could allow the peasants to live with enough to survive on and come back at the next harvest for another raid.

Then these raiders had another idea: they would stay in the same towns, steal lightly but regularly, murder enough to keep the peasants and merchants in line, and live well. Other areas, seeing these petty kingdoms arise, decided to submit themselves to their own home-grown warlords so that they would not fall prey to foreign warriors. (The Book of Samuel in the Old Testament describes the anarchist prophet Samuel trying to convince the Israelites that they didn't really want a king but finally giving in to them.)

Parasites must remain a minority or kill their hosts. So they discovered religion (and later ideology) as a means to intimidate peasants and win the all important sanction of the victim. Brutal thugs became "kings of divine right" and some very powerful statists called emperors, Pharaohs, or Czars were said to be divine, the unstoppable choice of gods.

And so these barbarian raiders institutionalized plunder (taxation), murder (execution and warfare), and even rape (detroit de seigneur, for example). They took control of roads to plunder the caravans (tolls, tariffs), they suppressed all rival criminal gangs with their own (police), and established their own churches, schools, judges, and even philosophers, ministrels, and artists to work in their royal courts.

Thus was born the State.

As people come to understand this situation, and especially important question of conscience split religions and ideologies, dissidence grew. The state learned to survive by adapting. It used its Court thinkers (intellectuals) to come up with new ways of mystifying the people.

The kings "limited" themselves and shared their plunder with aristocrats and certain favored merchants. Thus was born mercantilism (which Adam Smith challenged). Then even peasants and workers were permitted to plunder their fellow merchants, farmers, and workers. This was called Democracy. Groups were allowed fight over who should steal from whom (through an elite of bureaucrats and very rich businessmen continue, no matter who is elected) and thus were formed political parties." - SEK3
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:53:41 PM
I don't think it's as much of a grand plot as you paint it. The government workers believe just as the rest of the citizens do.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 4:08:04 PM
sounds made up... in fact it sounds made up for the express purpose of pushing a certain ideology... and its a monologue with no confirming archaeological evidence. hmmm. good job reasoning!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 4:15:59 PM
At 4/5/2010 4:08:04 PM, belle wrote:
sounds made up... in fact it sounds made up for the express purpose of pushing a certain ideology... and its a monologue with no confirming archaeological evidence. hmmm. good job reasoning!

You just made my list of favourite people. :D
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 4:21:25 PM
even rape (detroit de seigneur, for example)

DROIT de signeur.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 4:22:17 PM
At 4/5/2010 4:21:25 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
even rape (detroit de seigneur, for example)

DROIT de signeur.

Which incidentally has never been substantiated. I wouldn't put it past your average nobleman, but that doesn't make it true.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 5:02:42 PM
At 4/5/2010 4:59:45 PM, Puck wrote:
Hehe, detroit de seigneur.

There were a number of other typos that I corrected. I'm surprised that's the only one that I missed.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran