Jump to topic:

Net Neutrality

marcusbrutus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 2:18:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
WASHINGTON - A federal court threw the future of Internet regulations and U.S. broadband expansion plans into doubt Tuesday with a far-reaching decision that went against the Federal Communications Commission.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "network neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

The unanimous ruling by the three-judge panel marks a serious setback for the FCC, which is trying to adopt official net neutrality regulations. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, a Democrat, argues such rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from using their control over Internet access to favor some kinds of online content and services over others.
marcusbrutus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 2:27:06 PM
WASHINGTON - A Democratic lawmaker on Wednesday proposed legislation to stop network providers from playing traffic cop on the Internet.

Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's subcommittee on telecommunications and the Internet, introduced the bill to promote the principle, known as "Net neutrality," of treating all Internet traffic equally.

Markey, who introduced similar legislation in 2006, says his bill doesn't regulate the Internet, only makes sure the rules of online engagement remain fair. A Markey spokeswoman said he wanted to defuse critics' arguments that the bill amounts to regulation, which she called inaccurate.
Story continues below â†"advertisement | your ad here

"It does, however, suggest that the principles which have guided the Internet's development and expansion are highly worthy of retention, and it seeks to enshrine such principles in the law as guide stars for U.S. broadband policy," he said.

The Internet Freedom Preservation Act, which is co-sponsored by Rep. Chip Pickering, R-Miss., requires the Federal Communications Commission to assess whether broadband providers are "blocking, thwarting or unreasonably interfering" with consumers' rights to access, send, receive or offer content, applications and services over networks.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 2:41:11 PM
At 4/6/2010 2:21:34 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
So Net Neutrality is Internet Affirmative Action?

Pretty much.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 2:42:10 PM
Gotta coin up a name so us people who don't agree aren't demonized.

Net Neutrality vs Net Freedom: Which one are YOU for?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
marcusbrutus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 3:00:49 PM
At 4/6/2010 2:42:10 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Piracy vs Comcast limiting piracy for more profits without any real benefit to anyone.

Hmm wonder what people will choose?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 3:07:11 PM
At 4/6/2010 3:00:49 PM, marcusbrutus wrote:
At 4/6/2010 2:42:10 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Piracy vs Comcast limiting piracy for more profits without any real benefit to anyone.

Hmm wonder what people will choose?

See the thing is, most debates are painted as either good vs evil (Federalists vs Anti-Federlists) or good vs good (Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice). Either one side got their first and defamed their opponent, or both sides got their own version sunk in before either could get screwed. Nobody would also show their own bad side.

But that's an interesting way to look at it, to be sure.