Jump to topic:

American Liberalism, The New Religion?

Grayscale
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 7:15:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Liberalism means different things outside the US, so its liberalism as it is understood in the United States.

I started thinking about this when I was rereading the evolution of our conceptualization of the universe and its governed laws and the Catholic churches suppression of it. The Catholic church while it did operate as a form of information/science themselves, it still created an atmosphere where thoughts were criminalized if they were an opposing opinion. Meaning those who simply held views in conflict with the church lost their position, status, etc, because what was sacred was the church, and opposing the church was blasphemy.

Which then made me wonder, what was considered blasphemy in modern times? What opinion/expression gets one fired? Insulting the church now, doesn't do it, we even have artwork like "piss christ" (crucifix in a jar of urine) as art.. I also wouldn't feel threaten in modern society if I expressed negative views of Christianity.

Essentially what popped in my mind as what we as a society held as sacred consited of groups that comprised of the left wing's identity politics.

Two semi recent examples would be the CEO of Mozilla stepping down for his support of Prop 8 which also won popular vote (which was so long ago as well), essentially given the decision to apologize and donate more to pro gay orgs or lose his position. The second being Sterling who told his girlfirned to not bring black people to the game with her, of which he was banned for life and fined 2.5 million for the statement.

Now I'm not placing value on the actual opinions held but more so based on the fact that we do in fact have thought crimes aka blasphemy in the West and the religion is indeed liberalism, and in fact seems so similar in function to the old Catholic church, I'd be interested if an argument could be made that liberalism is indeed a secularized branch of Catholicism.

Sorry for the haphazard thoughts, anyways, what are your thoughts on this? Am I totally off base, or is there something to it?

Also do you think that all societies are inherently have "religion" and or criminalization of certain thoughts aka blasphemy? Or can there be one without?

Anyways, thank you for your time and patience,

Much appreciated.